Author Topic: AVAST ARE THIEVING BASTARDS !!!!  (Read 88389 times)

Hermite15

Re: AVAST ARE THIEVING BASTARDS !!!!
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »
...will you suggest a solution ?

to your particular problem, I'm afraid I won't. That won't be solved on a security software forum ;)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #166 on: May 01, 2010, 11:46:20 PM »
Just looked into this Forum after a break. Not a lot has changed, it appears. Still the Fanboys mindlessly advocating Avast, including all the advice to uninstall and reinstall, uninstall in safe made, reboot twice, repair etc. FFS, and the angry people who have actually paid for this sub-standard product. I have been previously recomending that users of Avast 4, which worked great, should migrate to MSE as it is about the BEST free product on the market at present. I am sure that this comment will never be allowed to be posted as it does slag off Avast 5 free, but if it does happen to appear, take my advice guys, seriously. And I DON'T work for MS.

I had a problem with avast! 5 Free not starting, so I switched to MSE till a solution was found.

Avast! 5 Free is much better, faster & lighter than MSE.

Below is the solution that worked for me.

Save avast! 5 download & avast! 5 uninstall tool to desktop.

Run avast! 5 uninstall tool in safe mode, reboot twice.

Boot into safe mode with networking & install avast! 5, reboot.

Worked for me & others. 

I believe doktornotor is the one that found the solution.

enddays

« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
Save avast! 5 download & avast! 5 uninstall tool  to desktop.

Worked for me & others.

I believe doktornotor is the one that found the solution

That is the point I was making. Why the f**k would you go to all that hassle to install Avast, when MSE installs with one click ?

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »
It wasn't a hassle.  It well worth the effort to use avast! 5 Free. ;) 8)

doktornotor

« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2010, 12:25:28 AM »
That is the point I was making. Why the f**k would you go to all that hassle to install Avast, when MSE installs with one click ?

See, Avast installs perfectly fine on sane boxes. On boxes that had some 20 different AVs before, 15 firewall and some random junk like Spybot and whatnot, you can expect trouble with any AV product you choose. Simply because uninstallers of most vendors do a p**s-poor job when uninstalling. Even using the cleanup tools isn't enough sometimes and it's required to clean-up the remnants manually.

You can also expect trouble when you are trying to install an AV on already infected box - malware tends to dislike AVs and tries to block their installation.

And - on a side note - you really need to chill out before writing anywhere.

doktornotor

« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2010, 12:32:59 AM »
Below is the solution that worked for me.
Save avast! 5 download & avast! 5 uninstall tool to desktop.

Worked for me & others. 

I believe doktornotor is the one that found the solution.

Yeah... I should note that it won't work if you don't have Visual C++ redistributable installed already - since that part (unlike Avast itself) uses MSI to install, which won't work in safe mode. So, in normal mode, preinstall that (not really sure which version this uses, but if you install both 2005 and 2008 it won't harm anything) and then try the Avast install in safe mode.

enddays

« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2010, 12:52:10 AM »
to doktornotor " And - on a side note - you really need to chill out before writing anywhere. "  Not sure what you mean by asking me to chill out. Are you suggesting that my comments are inflamitory ?

On a side note doktornotor, my personal opinion is that Avast 4 was sold to MS, and rehashed as MSE, leaving the current numpties to develop Avast 5 with minimum assistance from MS, hence the ongoing problems with all versions of Avast 5.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2010, 12:54:45 AM »
On a side note doktornotor, my personal opinion is that Avast 4 was sold to MS, and rehashed as MSE, leaving the current numpties to develop Avast 5 with minimum assistance from MS, hence the ongoing problems with all versions of Avast 5.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)

Hermite15

« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2010, 12:56:07 AM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)

yeah, when I was saying this can't be solved on a security software forum :D

doktornotor

« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2010, 12:56:13 AM »
Well... This thread should just be locked.  ::)

enddays

« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2010, 01:04:02 AM »

Did I just hear a towel land on the ground ?  Why would you want this thread to be locked dn, are you worried that I might be right, or that some replies might agree with my comments ?

Hermite15

« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2010, 01:04:52 AM »

I completely agree, but I've noticed they only lock threads with religious or political content here, never those with flaming material about Avast ;D

doktornotor

« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2010, 01:08:34 AM »
Why would you want this thread to be locked dn, are you worried that I might be right, or that some replies might agree with my comments ?

No. Purely to reduce the polution of cyberspace with nonsesical blurb like you've presented above (EPA loves me  :P).

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2010, 01:13:00 AM »
We should ignore enddays as he is acting like a Comodo fanboy. :-X

Hermite15

« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2010, 01:23:52 AM »
We should ignore enddays as he is acting like a Comodo fanboy. :-X

and this sounds like an Avast fanboy post ;) >>> Comodo isn't the ultimate bashing source, it's mostly individuals doing that, whether they're emulating a group's orientations or not, I don't care, I hold each one responsible for the crap he pukes...until proven insane (and not responsible for his acts) by authorized circles ;D