Author Topic: Automatic update  (Read 9775 times)

Spud

Automatic update
« on: July 01, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »
I am a new user to avast 4 home version and am not able to run automatic update. I receive the following message:

Server download3.avast.com (216.127.72.135:80) is down

It also provides the narrative options:
- the server is inaccessible because of a network error or mantenance
- your HTTP proxy settings are incorrect
- your network settings are incorrect
- your firewall isn't set to full internet access for program "avast*.setup"

I do not have a firewall as such but am running Norton Internet Security 2003, which of course includes Norton AntiVirus. My PC is not on a network. It is running Windows Me.

I have accessed the avast help and have tried to adjust the proxy server setting. I have a broadband internet connection and my ISP has given me IP addresses for three proxy servers but none works. The ISP says that the servers they have given me are neither HTTP or Socks v4; could this be the problem?

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere in the Forum: I looked but could not find it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Automatic update
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »
First of all, WELCOME to the forums Mike !

Second thing... never, EVER, NEVER install two antiviruses in the same computer !!! NEVER !

Especially Norton. Get rid of that piece of junk, uninstall it properly (go to Symantec web site and search for uninstaller), if you are comfortable with editing registry, clean all registry keys regarding Norton Antivirus...

Restart your PC, and perform clean install of avast!

Everything will work without any problems...

Cheers !

Keep us updated...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:25:14 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 01:41:43 PM »
I do not have a firewall as such but am running Norton Internet Security 2003, which of course includes Norton AntiVirus. My PC is not on a network. It is running Windows Me.

Spud, wellcome to avast forums.
Generally speaking, you cannot have two resident active antivirus applications in your system. They will conflict.
For sure, NAV 2003 (or 2004) conflicts with avast and viceversa.
I used NAV in the past but give up for avast. I think you must choose one of them. Probably, you can stay with the firewall of Norton Internet Security but I'm not sure.

You will find here a lot of users that claims for 'layered protection': different applications that do, each one, its part on security. Symantec, on contrary, joins all applications in only one.

You won't regret using avast!  8)
The best things in life are free.

Spud

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 01:46:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice - I'll take it and look forward to seeing the results. Just one thing: I've never edited the registry (and don't know how to access it) - will I experience any problems if I don't do this?

When you say perform a clean install of avast! I presume that you mean that I should first uninstall it? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

One other thought. I realise that if avast! is as good as I think it is, I will be able to forget about Norton. But will uninstalling Norton mean that I will have to pay again if I want to re-load it?

Thanks again for your help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 01:51:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice - I'll take it and look forward to seeing the results. Just one thing: I've never edited the registry (and don't know how to access it) - will I experience any problems if I don't do this?

Calm down, we can guide you.

When you say perform a clean install of avast! I presume that you mean that I should first uninstall it? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

There is not stupid questions. Only stupid answers  ;D
Well, I think it's better uninstalling Norton first.
Clean registry.
Uninstall avast.
Clean registry.
Make a full and clean intall of avast.

One other thought. I realise that if avast! is as good as I think it is, I will be able to forget about Norton. But will uninstalling Norton mean that I will have to pay again if I want to re-load it? Thanks again for your help

I don't think you will reload it.
But not, you're registered at Symantec and you can use the same registry key (number of days that you can update NAV will decrease). Well, it's better check with Symantec support and, next month because they're very fast  ;D, say us what they said  8)

Spud

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 02:18:04 PM »
Thanks for your reassurances, Technical.

Can you guide me how to clean the registry?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 02:20:14 PM »
Use my avast! External Control tool (see my signature) and use Norton Antivirus 2004 Cleaner function.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 03:43:18 PM »
Can you guide me how to clean the registry?

Of course.
Did you already uninstall NAV?
Maybe it won't be necessary to uninstall all Norton Internet Security right now.
Let's do it by parts...

After that, post what do you have in this following registry keys (maybe you don't have all of them):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers

Probably you will have avast driver (if you're lucky) and Symantec drivers listed there. I need only the full path of the drivers (probably: C:\Program files\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL and C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswMonVd.dll).

By now, don't delete any key of registry. Let's do it by parts and slowly. ok?

Spud

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 03:49:13 PM »
Technical

As I'm not at all expert in this, I'm afraid that we're going to have to start from first priciples: how do I access the registry keys that you have listed?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 04:03:16 PM »
Hello!? Technical did you missed my post? AEC does all this (and much more) automatically for NAV2004 cleaning :P
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 04:30:57 PM »
Hello!? Technical did you missed my post? AEC does all this (and much more) automatically for NAV2004 cleaning :P

Spud, I missed RejZoR's post (Sorry  ;D)
Try to use his application first (see his signature for the download link).

Later, to access that Registry Key further, you can type 'Windows key'+R or go to Start Menu and choose 'Run'. In the window that pop up, write regedit and press enter. You will be able to browse the windows registry untill that key I've mentioned before.

Spud

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 06:21:28 PM »
First, thanks to RejZor for the link to avast! External Control Tool. I haven't used it so far as I had already managed to uninstall NAV by using 'Rnav2003'.

Technical, I have accessed the registry and none of the directories that you mentioned is present. I do have ...\CurrentControlSet\Control..., but 'VirtualDeviceDrivers' is not present. I do, however, have these two directories:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SymantecTemplnst

In the 'Symantec' directory are the following folders:

ccreg
CommonClient
DJSUserData
IAM
Installed Apps
LiveSubscribe
Managed Products
Shared Technology
SharedDefs
SharedUsage
Symevent
SymNetDrv

Shall I leave these folders and simply uninstall and re-install avast! or do you think I need to edit them? I would prefer to leave Norton Internet Security in situ for now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 08:11:01 PM »
Spud, which is your Operational System?

I think we can 'try' installing avast and see if it's working in all situations with eicar.com virus test files...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 08:24:31 PM by Technical »

Spud

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 09:55:19 AM »
Technical

I am running Windows Me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 01:56:33 PM »
Technical

I am running Windows Me.

Oops. I thought you have XP.
In this case, it's better run just RejZoR's application and try to install avast! without removing any other Registry key...
Let's try?  ;)