Author Topic: Just Bought another year, but have error messages  (Read 3481 times)

rosebud945

Just Bought another year, but have error messages
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »
I just subscribed to another year of pro, and installed it. The installation went fine, but I have two error messages that keep popping up.

The first one regards my pop and SMTP settings and I don't know if I should change those settings, and if so, where are they?? Here are the messages
Avast has detected a secure connection from your mail program to the pop server . . . Please disable SSL/TLS

The other is the same, but mentions the SMTP connection. Should I change these? If so, how?

I am also getting a warning that the trial period is not activated and that I won't get updates, but I did not sign up for a trial. I bought a subscription and installed it, but I did so a month early. Do I need to do anything about that?

Thanks so much!

rosebud945

Re: Just Bought another year, but have error messages
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:07:37 AM »
Okay, I just fixed the activation issue. I didn't realize that I had to open the file sent in the email after I purchased the subscription. Did that.

I still don't know if I should change my POP and SMTP settings. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
dc

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 01:28:21 AM »
I don't know where the SSL/TLS settings are in your email program (don't know which you are using), but the email account settings (properties) in your email program will be set to use SSL/TLS (usually in the Advanced section), it is that you need to disable and avast will handle the starting of the SSL/TLS (secure) connection.

See image, this is an example of it in Outlook Express, you will have to find the associated settings in your email program.

If you don't change the SSL/TLS setting in the email program, then it will be encrypted before avast has a chance to scan it, so effectively avast can't protect your email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rosebud945

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 04:54:52 AM »
Thanks, David.

Now that you posted that pic, I know what I am looking for, but just can't seem to find properties! I am using Thunderbird. Do you know which tab will get me there?

rosebud945

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:04:03 AM »
I think I just found it. In Thunderbird, I went to tools, to account settings, then to server settings and where it says

Security Settings
Use Secure connection:
Never       TLS if available               TLS            SSL

I selected Never. Is that right?? Is there a way that I can check the Avast!?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:17:31 PM »
I have never used thunderbird for more than an hour before I uninstalled it (twice) so I'm not familiar with its settings, but it sounds like the right area.

You shouldn't have to do anything in avast, but the avast Mail Shield, Expert Settings button, SSL Accounts section should show your accounts from your email program and if avast should use Encryption (SSL). Just try and collect or send your email and see if it works.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline tbird

• Proud avast user
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:33:08 PM »
Rosebud while you are in account settings you need to go to the bottom of the list and change the smpt setting also.
XP/SP3, Intel Pentium 4, 992MB Ram, Avast 2014 Free, Chrome  with ABP , Private  Firewall 7.0,  MBAM, WinPatrol and Thunderbird 24.6.0

rosebud945

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »
Tbird, thanks. I am embarrassed to admit that it took me awhile to find the outgoing server settings. They are in a different account settings tab, but I found them and changed them.

Thanks so much, guys!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
You're welcome, let us know how it works out.