Author Topic: Infinited restart/reboot loop after installing avast 5  (Read 3657 times)

rbin

Infinited restart/reboot loop after installing avast 5
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:06:02 PM »
I installed avast 5 this morning, but after rebooting Windows XP my machine went into a loop of continuous reboots. So I went to safe mode and restored to previous point.

I checked support center and found suggestion to send in the minidump files, but couldn't logon to site (after registering). Didn't get avast reply to form on forgetting password (with slim odds that I could have typed wrong twice).

So I'm looking for suggestions with hopes of easy fix. XP Home Edition Machine has TrendMicro on it now. I was planning to remove TM after getting Avast working. It has SP2 (not 3 yet - I can't get 3 to install, and hoping it will after removing TM).

Offline Gandalf1369

Re: Infinited restart/reboot loop after installing avast 5
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
If you want to use avast! then you have to completely uninstall TrendMicro.  You are asking for trouble if you try and run two anti-virus programs atthe same time - they tend to never play nicely with each other.  If you visit this site: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/1/How-do-I-remove-old-or-new-versions-of-Trend-Micro-products-in-my-comp.aspx (make sure this forum hasn't messed up the link) you can follow the directions for uninstalling TrendMicro.

Once you have a clean system, then install avast! version 5 from a fresh download.  After installing make sure that you reboot.  Hopefully you should have a completely working and safe system at that point.

Let us know how it goes. . . . .

Good luck . . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

rbin

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
In the back of my I somewhat knew I should remove TrendMicro, but the front of my mind recalled all those radio "experts" that say you should run multiple virus checkers and security. Perhaps not simultaneously.

This worked. I removed Trendmicro and Avast now works. The removal software from that link recommends using Control Panel method - which I did - but I ran the TM removal one afterward to be double sure.

Still can't logon to Avast site an register, nor get site to return password, so I'm not sure what's up there. And still can't get SP3 for XP to install (3/4 through install says I don't have permission even though I'm admin), so I can't totally blame than on Trendmicro.

Avast interface looks clean and friendly. Looking forward to see how it works out. I wasn't happy with TM.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
Not sure what you mean when you say you "can't logon to avast! site and register, nor get site to return password."  If you are talking about registering avast! Free, that is done through the program interface itself.  There is no password to speak of - when you fill in the information containing your name, email, etc. the program will send that info to Alwil Software and your copy of avast! will then be automatically registered.

Can't help you too much with your problem installing SP3 except to recommend that you try Google with the error message you get and see if anything comes up.

Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)