Author Topic: Online Armor HIPS  (Read 2571 times)

Mongol

Online Armor HIPS
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:04:27 AM »
I purchased a Avast Security Suite license a few days ago after trialing it for a week and give two thumbs up. I was just wondering if Online Armor Premium (HIPS only) would be a good addition to it since I have a license with 8 months left on it and hate seeing it sit unused... ??? ;D

Jon_T

Re: Online Armor HIPS
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
I purchased a Avast Security Suite license a few days ago after trialing it for a week and give two thumbs up. I was just wondering if Online Armor Premium (HIPS only) would be a good addition to it since I have a license with 8 months left on it and hate seeing it sit unused... ??? ;D
I took the other option -- I did a custom install of AIS w/o the FW and Spam.

Have around 10 mos. of my 3-User Online Armor Prem. license remaining.  Decided to keep using the OA FW until there's more documentation available for the AIS FW.  Read through the avast!'s Get Started and Help documentation, and really not much provided on the more advanced FW settings.

Also because I upgraded avast! 4.80 Pro (other two systems were using 4.8 Home) to Pro 5 and had no problems/issues on my system with Pro 5, and by what I've read on this forum it seems the AIS 5 users were experiencing more issues/problems than the Pro 5 users.

Hopefully by the time my OA license is close to renewal there will be a avast! AIS User Guide, and some reviews/tests that will help me decide which FW I'll want to continue using.  ;)

Mongol

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »
I actually read a good review for the Avast Firewall today at PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358467,00.asp I think I may just stick with Prevx 3 as my second layer and keep away from that HIPS business for now... 8)

sded

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 12:09:31 AM »
Why not give it a try?  There is an "uninstall firewall" button on the firewall tab in OA in case of compatibility problems.  That should leave the HIPS mostly intact, and allow you to monitor the behavior of your processes.  Apparently OA started as a HIPS in ancient history and had the firewall added.  The attachment shows the control you have over each process from the OA HIPS.  I would make an image (or at least a restore point) first.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:13:05 AM by sded »