Author Topic: Not trolling just really want an honest discussion  (Read 12160 times)

YoKenny

Re: Not trolling just really want an honest discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »
@ sss

Thanks.

I would hate to be known as a GWF ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:35:37 AM by YoKenny »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 11:06:14 AM »
Hi Guys,

just a few things I would like to add, the main purpose of the suite is to keep your PC healthy and clean, and we try to use all sort of measures / shields to achieve that. The antivirus is the main of them. The firewall of course keeps unwanted traffic outside as well, but as soon as the PC is infected (e.g. malware or in this case leaktest is running on it), it should be deleted quickly - and not just blocked from doing networking stuff.

What is the point of running your system infected (which is the situation leaktest are testing) and just blocking the virus/Trojan/backdoor from opening their own ports or connections, if they can do lots of other things that are usually undetected without running antivirus (such as infecting your attachments and let your self and your trusted mail client to send them).

So I don't really understand why should someone test a suite with antivirus against unwanted programs and switch the antivirus part off.

On the other hand they are many things that in Matousec's set of tests that make sense and are quite reasonable to require them from your product - e.g. kill tests. I don't understand however why the tests are structured in that so called levels, so that you can not evaluate all test until some artificially chosen test cases in the previous levels are not passed. What were the criteria by which these levels were choosen. Isn't for example the "verifier" test, currenlty on level 9 or 10, the main requirement - the driver should not bluescreen ?

And last, apparently Matoušek ran the tests with silent mode (auto decide on) and then evaluated this really unprofessionally - such as that firewall does not filter UDP packets - which is simply not true and switching into "Ask" mode would easily prove it.

Lukas

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
Then avast firewall is best for you tech ^_^
Because you don't have to answer a lot of question with it :)

Sesame

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
Avast! Internet Suite is, different from other popular suites, built up from its core components of Anti-Virus.  Alwil didn't developed its firewall as standalone since it is designed to work with other basic components.  Comparing it with a product such as Comodo with anti-virus turned off is like comparing "chalk and cheese."  Considering that, Kasperksy is arguably doing a good job but, of course, it costs a bit more.

sded

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »
Thanks Lukor,
I think you have given us something to reference at least as "unofficial Alwil comments about the Matousec tests" rather than just some user opinions.
Regards;
Ed
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:52:01 PM by sded »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 04:38:37 PM »
Thanks Igor,
I think you have given us something to reference at least as "unofficial Alwil comments about the Matousec tests" rather than just some user opinions.
Regards;
Ed

I must be blind.  Where is Igor's post in this thread that you are thanking him for?  I tried to find and read it, but cannot.  Perhaps you meant lukor??

Or perhaps it was a post by Igor in another thread about Matousec's tailored testing of competitors' products.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Hermite15

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
Where is Igor's post in this thread

yeah I noticed that too a minute ago  ;D come on that's easy to explain, Igor posts more often and Lukor rather rarely, which easily explains that mistake from sded  ;)

sded

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
I fixed it.  Sorry Lukor, am just too used to seeing Igor and Vlk here.  Will make sure you get proper credit.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:56:15 PM by sded »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »
Matousec releases their test suite officially, so I think Alwil can inspect avast! only for self-defense test, regardless of level.
Or I have wrong viewpoint?

I doubt why Matousec uses "Level" in their test, indeed...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:08:08 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
I fixed it.  Sorry Lukor, am just too used to seeing Igor and Vlk here.  Will make sure you get proper credit.   ;D

Not to worry.  I thought I'd actually missed something important. :D  The credit and a $1.50 will get me a cup of coffee, right? 8)

Joking aside, thanks to all the Alwil staff that are participating here.  We know that it's not easy sometimes.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

sded

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
Hey, I was in a hurry to go feed my wife and cat.  But recognized at a glance that it wasn't Vlk.   :)  One problem with Matousec is the lack of other recognized testing for firewalls/suites other than places like PC Magazine.  And getting tested as a HIPS when you don't use a classical HIPS for protection and the rest of your product is turned off to level things has given red scores to lots of companies.  The YouTube Videos and sketchy reports from Wankers with Windows are kind of fun demonstrations sometimes, can even provide some useful information, but not really scientific testing.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:19:36 PM by sded »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »
So I don't really understand why should someone test a suite with antivirus against unwanted programs and switch the antivirus part off.
Neither do I.
I see only a reason: biased.
Oh, I see a second reason: FUD.
The best things in life are free.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »
The only problem is that the majority of users will look at these tests and conclude that avast! sux.

EDIT: Spelling ...  ;D

gowiththeflow

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Thanks you everybody, I now understand the issue a bit better.

Somewhat related ... I just read this one http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5602  - it seems to suggest no one can't get rid of HIPS entirely if ever :(