Author Topic: how to enable the mail shield  (Read 11587 times)

quickg

how to enable the mail shield
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:48:56 PM »
My free avast has mail shield disabled and I can't enable it. How to fix it?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 03:04:30 PM by quickg »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: how to enable the mail shield
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37:48 PM »
Did you use any other antivirus before avast? (mainly AVG)?
Did you change any setting of avast or the avast services?
The best things in life are free.

quickg

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »
I have use other AV program (not AVG) before but I have uninstall it.

When I install Avast few days ago, it worked fine and all shield enabled. I haven't changed any setting. It just changed the mail shield on last Friday.

I am also using the PC Tools Firewall.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »
Can you use a specialized tool to remove leftovers of that antivirus?
I also suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

quickg

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
followed exact what you said

No. Mail shield is still disabled.

But registration and updating both work fine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
I have use other AV program (not AVG) before but I have uninstall it.
<snip>

What was the other AV, many still leave remnants even after being uninstalled and that can cause issues such as this ?

The forum is full of such problems with previous AV remnants, so if you tell us what it was we have links to specific tools to ensure that all remnants are removed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

quickg

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
I know the problem, it is the PC Tools Firewall. Once I shut it down I can enable the Mail shield.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39:17 PM »
Also check the PC Tools program control (if that is what it is called) - Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cadremis

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
Pc Tools Firewall And Avast 5 work very well together, just allow Avast to update...rm

quickg

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
Also check the PC Tools program control (if that is what it is called) - Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

it allows avastSvc.exe internet access , so updating the virus DB or program is not a probelm
all other shields are also OK
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:48:42 PM by quickg »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »
That is why I said if it allows it, delete the entry and force it to ask again as the Mail Shield is also under that avast service...

quickg

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 11:40:48 AM »
No. I can enable mail shield ONLY IF I shut down the PC Tools firewall. If the firewall is working the Mail shield is disabled.

Sesame

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
No. I can enable mail shield ONLY IF I shut down the PC Tools firewall. If the firewall is working the Mail shield is disabled.
It's probably not the firewall of PC Tools Firewall but application blocking.  I don't have a pc which has both Avast! and PC Tools here, so, I cannot confirm which component is blocked but could you check the application blocking section in PC Tools FW?

quickg

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 12:35:53 PM »
It is very hard to communicate here.

Let me state clearly what is happening.

Whenever the PC tools firewall is running on my PC (using Windows XP), the Mail Shield of Avast 5(free version) would be disabled by some unknown reason. I can't enable it by clicking the "Fix it" or any other buttons. All other shields (web, P2P ...) are fine and enabled and I can update the Avast virus DB and program (with PCT firewall running at the same time).

I check the control list of the PC tools firewall , there is only one entry for Avast. I choose the option to allow all the in and out traffic of the Avast entry. But this method can't sort out the above problem of the Mail Shield .

Now I shut down the PCT Firewall (use the Firewall of Windows instead), the mail Shield can be enabled.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:40:52 PM by quickg »

Sesame

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 12:52:58 PM »
Whenever the PC tools firewall is running on my PC (using Windows XP), the Mail Shield of Avast 5(free version) would be disabled by some unknown reason. I can't enable it by clicking the "Fix it" or any other buttons. All other shields (web, P2P ...) are fine and enabled and I can update the Avast virus DB and program (with PCT firewall running at the same time).

I check the control list of the PC tools firewall , there is only one entry for Avast. I choose the option to allow all the in and out traffic of the Avast entry. But this method can't sort out the above problem of the Mail Shield .

Now I shut down the PCT Firewall (use the Firewall of Windows instead), the mail Shield can be enabled.
I had reckoned your issue.  My point was:  Considering you cannot start MailShield, rather than letting it connect to the net, I believe it is not about firewall but application control function related issue, where (a) component(s) necessary to start MailShield is (are) prevented from starting.  The problem here is the component(s) may not be identified easily...

[Edit]If there is a person who knows the name(s) of the component(s) here, it would be very helpful but, if it is not the case, you can check it by making PCTools log about the probable components in the applications list of PCTools FW and trying to turn on MailShield, which may be bit laboring, though.[/Edit]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 01:00:09 PM by Rumpel »