Author Topic: using 100 % CPU  (Read 8025 times)

payneardo

Re: using 100 % CPU
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 07:22:52 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed, including firewall ?

How are you actually downloading this file, download manager, from a browser and https link, P2P (if so what client) or other means (whatever that might be) ?
During the download is the avast icon rotating (especially if it is indicating 100% cpu) ?

Try opening the avastUI and Real-time Shields, File System Shield so that you can monitor any activity, and try starting the download again and see if you can see what is actually being scanned ?

No only ever have 1 antivirus installed and even had ms syware defender turned off.  I did have norton installed but used the norton unistaller to get rid of it :)  I use the win 7 firewall as my router has a good enough firewall installed on it so dont need anothe rone:)  I am using newsbin pro to download a linux iso via ssl.  I have opened the shields and didn't noticed much untowards, at first it was fine so I guess one of the updates have caused this as I used to get a message saying I am downloading using SSL and it cant check them (or something like that) but never got that message anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »
Well getting and error message "saying I am downloading using SSL and it cant check them (or something like that)" and given the program your using newsbin pro.
Usenet NNTP newsreader that downloads and decodes binary file attachments to Usenet posts.

My guess is that this is coming through port 119 so is actually related to the Mail Shield proxy and if as you say it is using SSL, the Mail Shield wouldn't be expecting encrypted traffic and that would be what generates that error.

I don't know if changing the port in newsbin to something other than port 119 or not having port 119 set to use SSL might help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

payneardo

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
Well getting and error message "saying I am downloading using SSL and it cant check them (or something like that)" and given the program your using newsbin pro.
Usenet NNTP newsreader that downloads and decodes binary file attachments to Usenet posts.

My guess is that this is coming through port 119 so is actually related to the Mail Shield proxy and if as you say it is using SSL, the Mail Shield wouldn't be expecting encrypted traffic and that would be what generates that error.

I don't know if changing the port in newsbin to something other than port 119 or not having port 119 set to use SSL might help.

OK cheers, might disable the mail shield as I dont use any software on my PC just googlemail on line with gattach :)

Thanks again for all the help :)

Yanagi

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 05:59:44 AM »
I'm unsure if this is related to the problem being discussed in this thread. I am using Avast 4.8, free version.

This evening, Avast began using 100% of my processor (ashDisp.exe) for several hours (and is crippling the system). I attempted to stop services with Avast, and nothing resolved it. Any attempt to kill the process or lower its priority resulted in an "Access Denied", as did attempts to user userdump.exe (as suggested here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27122.0) to create a dump file.

Windows 7 did allow me to create a dump file from the Task Manager, but the file is 95MB, so I cannot attach it here. You can find the file here: http://nuriko.odoshi.net/ashDisp.DMP

This is kind of a final straw situation for me, Avast has been rather unsatisfactory, and I've been running it for the better part of a year. I'll be uninstalling it now (if it will let me), but I thought I'd offer this information to you in an attempt to improve Avast.

I'll monitor the thread for replies, in case you have more questions.

Regards,

Jamie

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
eVGA 790i Ultra SLi motherboard
4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
eVGA GTX 285
700GB RAID5 on a 3Ware 9650SE-4LPML (4 x 250GB Seagates)

galooma

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 07:07:52 AM »
to be able to work out why its forcing processor to work so hard , it would be easier to diagnose if we knew what file it was scanning.

this can be viewed by opening interface where the last file scanned would be listed across the lower section of file shield page.

regards

Yanagi

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:14:15 AM »
I tried to access the interface for 45 minutes, but it never loaded successfully. Additionally, the program would not let me uninstall it, as (I assume) its use of the processor inhibited the uninstaller from initializing.

Upon reboot, it continued whatever process it was doing. So I was forced to remove it in safe mode. Unless it left files on my computer that you can use, I'm afraid that information will be lost.

Whatever file it was, it certainly did not require several hours. The largest single file I have on my system would probably be between 10 and 15GB, and those are very few. Most "large" files would be between 1 and 5GB. Additionally, I'm running a fairly quick RAID5 on my system, so file-reads from the HDDs go rather quickly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »
Are you using the latest 5.0.454 avast version?
The best things in life are free.

Yanagi

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
No, as I mentioned, I was using 4.8. I've also uninstalled it, so no need for support necessarily. I just wanted to offer this information to you.

payneardo

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 01:47:59 PM »
I was downloading rar files in 5MB parts and like the other poster I have now taken off avast (even though I have the paid version) and trying an alternative which is working fine but monitoring it as well as just using a trial version.  I did upgrade to the beta vesrion but it made no difference :( .  I was using port 563 to download via SSL if it helps in anyway.