Author Topic: 5.0 free installation problems  (Read 4813 times)

tgolden

5.0 free installation problems
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
Hi, need your help
I tried installing the avast 5.0 free version for the first time on my desk top running xp. the program downloaded but the icon at the bottom has a red mark on it and when I mouse over it says avast disabled. When I click and open it brings up screen but nthing happens when I click on the register now button. The window to register won't open. If I go to add/remove to uninstall again when I click on the remove button nothing happens. What do I need to do to get it working? Do I need to uninstall or can I do something to fix it since it has downlaoded?

Thanks
tg

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 5.0 free installation problems
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed, e.g. firewall, anti-spyware, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tgolden

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
it was norton and it ran out. I have run malewarebytes and advance care 3. on the system and cleaned out any infected objects. The system is now running slow and crashes at times. other then those antiware it is the basic window firewall recommended setting

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:44:57 PM »
Norton can be an absolute pig to get rid of and cause conflicts in security software installed later. It must be uninstalled and preferably run this tool.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

As for MBAM that shouldn't be an issue, I don't know anything about advanced (presumably 'windows or system' is inserted here) care 3.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tgolden

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »
Hi David,
Sorry, it's called Advanced Systemcare by iobit.com. checks registry and other, spyware etc. Thanks for the info on the Norton issues. Should I remove avast and reinstall or try cleaning out the Norton first?
tg

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:58:25 PM »
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003-2010 products from your computer.

1) (If possible) Remove Symantec products through Add/Remove programs from Control Panel. Boot.
2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 or Norton Removal Tool for Windows 98/Me. Boot.
3) Install avast! (or repair the installation) and boot.

Besides, if you use any antivirus from iObit, give up. The company is not trustable anymore.
Advanced System Care could also mess your registry quite deep.
The best things in life are free.

tgolden

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »
Thanks David
Will do

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
You're welcome and I echo Tech's comment on iobit, there are a number of topics about their unethical (at the least) business practices in relation to other software's products.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »
Advanced_System_Optimizer (ASO) also has (unadvertized) ZA antivirus in it (on demand).  I suggest you uninstall this since it is also a hog on your machine and there are much better programs out there such as CCleaner http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.  Many of us here use it and it is light on your system.