Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 134782 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2010, 07:29:24 AM »
My upload speed is comparatively good on world standards. I use speedtest as my measure cause is handy. I do get good upload, but I'm always looking at the download speed. My ISP tells me this is good as it gets. Cable is meant to be fast but only download no upload here except in a few places (guess - might be more).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:23:42 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

scjr

« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
Also, if you are experiencing the issues, does it make any difference if you open the avast UI, navigate to Real-time Shields, Web Shield and uncheck the "Scan web (HTTP) traffic" box?

Cheers
Vlk

Vlk,

I can keep the "Scan web (HTTP) traffic" box checked.

I uncheck "Use intelligent stream scanning" under "Expert Settings" and my speeds go back to normal.

If that is selected, I lose plenty of bandwidth.

Windows 7 and AVAST 5.0.462.

All the best,

scjr
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 03:30:04 PM by scjr »

Offline RedFan

« Reply #182 on: April 03, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
I see no difference in speed when using "Use intelligent stream scanning" under "Expert Settings" or not .....
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #183 on: April 04, 2010, 04:21:40 AM »
 I can see where could get that scjr - but I'm not expert on avast Settings
- there may be conflict in channel, perhaps MS background intelligent Service

and same situation with Redfan, not necessarily will there be conflict - can still be smooth running

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

scjr

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »
I can see where could get that scjr - but I'm not expert on avast Settings
- there may be conflict in channel, perhaps MS background intelligent Service

and same situation with Redfan, not necessarily will there be conflict - can still be smooth running

Thank you mkis. :)

After further testing, it seems speed tests that use flash are affected?

I can never get a reading of more than 10-14 Mbps download here (I can if intelligent scanning is disabled): http://speedtest.comcast.net/
Interestingly enough, upload comes out fine at that same page.

I consistently get a reading of 23-25 Mbps download here: http://ndt.iupui.atl01.measurement-lab.org:7123/
This site uses JAVA. Upload is fine here as well.

When I download Avast Free as a test from CNET, my download speed is perfectly fine.

All these tests were done with Web Shield enabled and intelligent scanning enabled.

Conclusion. It seems everything is fine download speed wise.

I really enjoy Avast. Thank you so much.

All the best,

scjr

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2010, 03:58:49 AM »
I get some interesting readings on yr NDT despite being half a world away from their servers

http://ndt.iupui.atl01.measurement-lab.org:7123

might keep testing with it to see how we go - here in New Zealand (downunder)

results are much same readings as per my post above - and note that does fluctuate cos of wireless connect
- but I also add that it seems to be speeds more equable now between web shield on and off
- with show some lag with run of http scanning (seemingly)

And still fluctuating readings cos of wireless
- so I have avoided explain by stating any kind of standard rule outside the obvious.

btw are you on cable scjr?

And also - MS background Intelligent is needed for auto updates, etc...from what I gather, so the Service cannot really be stopped. I'm not sure about the avast 5 Setting, what is involved with that setting. I would imagine some heuristic as well, so as I say above, I can see some potential for conflict in the channels.

scjr

« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2010, 03:15:09 PM »
btw are you on cable scjr?

mkis,

I am.

I dumped Avira because it was buggy as all heck and I couldn't handle that pop-up advertisement.  ;D

I think Avast is great and look forward to the next release. I'm sure they'll continue tweaking the Web Shield module of the program.

All the best,

scjr

lemonade

« Reply #187 on: April 09, 2010, 07:05:42 PM »
Hi, I just updated to avast 5.0.462. Not sure which version I had before but I updated regularly so I assume it was the latest although the skin changed from blue to orange.

As soon as I updated, I have not been able to access any pages on any browser (tried on IE, FF, Chrome) except https (google mail worked). I had to turn off Web Shield just to get to this forum. As soon as I turn off Web Shield, I can access the internet. It is only as of the latest update that this has happened, I have never had a problem with avast in the past and I have been using it quite a long time.

I am running Windows Vista 64bit SP2, 4gb RAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5400+. I also use Vista Firewall Control instead of the normal Vista firewall. I really would like to keep Web Shield on, but I can't as I need the internet constantly for work purposes, so I've been limiting browsing.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #188 on: April 09, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
As is mentioned many times in this topic the most common cause for this is firewall blocking.

However, unless you have enabled the outbound protection of the Vista firewall (disabled by default) that shouldn't be the cause. But you need to ensure that the Vista Firewall Control allows avast access to the internet.

Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #189 on: April 09, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
Hi should I uncheck All 3 Avast Settings> Web Shield> i.e. 1. Scan Web Traffic>  Expert Settings> 2. Enable Web scanning & 3. Use intelligent stream scanning. At the moment have the first 2 unchecked & 3rd checked?

Thanks!

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #190 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »
Why would you want to do that ?
The third is immaterial if you have disabled web scanning so it doesn't matter what it is set to it will have no effect as the intelligent stream scanning obviously relates to the web shield scanning content and you have effectively disabled it.

Why have you disabled what is probably the most important avast shield ?

If you are going to do that you might as well get rid of it completely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2010, 09:32:34 PM »
Thanks DavidR........ is it fine now?

Regards!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
Well its not fine really as you have disabled the "Enable Web scanning" option and that will be reflected in the Main Real-time Web Shield page (your first image from before).

Whilst that shows the web shield is running, it isn't doing anything it isn't scanning.

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #193 on: April 09, 2010, 09:55:14 PM »
Thanks again......but I’d rather go e out web shield since it slows both download & upload by approx 200-300 megabits.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:57 PM »
Thanks again......but I’d rather go e out web shield since it slows both download & upload by approx 200-300 megabits.

Why not try a clean install of the latest pre-release version, 5.0.499, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0 and see if that makes any difference.