Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 134709 times)

Neoshinji

Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
I'm having the same problem, the web shield module is blocking the internet traffic, but it is only appliable for the unsecure websites, for the https websites is running okay.

I had this problem on the last days with the Avast version 4.80.xxx , then I have decided to upgrade to the new version 5.0.462 hoping to solve the problem.

Although an easy temporal solution is disable the web shield module.

Platform:
Avast version 5.0.462
Windows XP Professional SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Intel Pentium 4 - 2,4 Ghz
RDRAM - 1024 Mb

If you need any other detail, feel free to contact me ;)

ArtemisF0wl

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
I do notice performance degradation from web shield, but I think it's due to one of my firefox addons - Speed dial. I'm pretty sure that web shield is scanning every page on my speed dial, which is a total of 48 pages. The reason I say that is I sometimes notice upwards of 500 connections in my firewall when I have only 2 tabs open, and sometimes it causes a lag. So i'm thinking it's more a Speed Dial issue than a web shield issue, right?

borisbcat61

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »

I have an Acer Aspire running XP (SP3).  I have Avast 5.0.418. I cannot use the internet if Network Shield and Web Shield is turned on.  Any suggestion on how to fix?

Thank you
 Borisbcat61

Avastfan1

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »
My connection speed actually went down with WS off but its compromised by having a shared connection through a router.

Mine did too.

WS on:

Download: 3.35
Upload: 0.36

WS off:

Download: 2.93
Upload: 0.36

I've no idea why it is like that? :S

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Forget it, those sites aren't reliable. When you test servers distant from you you can get very different and funny results that more or less make sense. It put doubts on the fundamentals of the thread!!! 8)
No lol its about 60 kb for downloads and about 13 kb for uploads also :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 03:55:07 PM »
I do notice performance degradation from web shield, but I think it's due to one of my firefox addons - Speed dial. I'm pretty sure that web shield is scanning every page on my speed dial, which is a total of 48 pages. The reason I say that is I sometimes notice upwards of 500 connections in my firewall when I have only 2 tabs open, and sometimes it causes a lag. So i'm thinking it's more a Speed Dial issue than a web shield issue, right?

If speed dial is pre-fetching stuff in the background, then yes the web shield will be scanning that content too if it is using port 80 and HTTP protocol, which is likely.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

anho

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:52 PM »
I have similar problems but it is not all the time and it is the behaviorshield that cause the slowdown. When it happens the computer almost freezing for a moment when I open a web page. It is often at www.aftonbladet.se using Internet Explorer that the problem starts.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:41 PM »
There is quite a lot going on behind the scenes in this page, with lots of access to associated sites, not to mention it is a very large first page which is media rich. I'm on dial-up so given that it takes some time to load (using firefox) but the CPU usage never got up above 10% most of the time it is 3-5%. However switching back and forward to Processes in the task manager I don't see avastSvc.exe featuring in this activity.

The page still hasn't finished loading whilst compiling this reply, it is a monster for dial-up users with too much going on on that index page. So I have thrown the towel in trying to load it on dial-up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

JosephD

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:45 PM »
I installed Avast 5.0 on a Vista 32 bit OS (approximately 5-6 days ago) and I was unable to access Windows Mail at all until I deactivated Avast?? I was forced to remove the new version with Revo Uninstaller. I reinstalled version 4.8 and the problem with the email disappeared.

Any insight into what "bug" exists in Avast 5.0 and when the problem will be corrected so that I can reinstall version 5.0 again???

Thanks!

Hopefully, Avast version 4.8 virus definitions are still being updated?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:32:10 PM by JosephD »

rhawley1960

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2010, 12:13:40 AM »
I used to recommend Avast to my family, friends, coworkers, church family, and just about anybody.  But this recent experience has me almost forced to uninstall Avast and choose some other product.  At which point I will tell everybody that Avast is no longer a good product.

Please tell me that someone has figured out what the glitch is, and there will be a fix for it soon !

???

gdiloren

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »
I'm using Avira right now.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 01:12:12 AM »
@ JosephD and rhawley1960

This isn't a general across the board problem otherwise it would be generating hundreds of posts in the forums and that isn't the case. This doesn't mean that your problem is none the less a pain in the rear, which is why Vlk one of the avast developers created this topic to ask for your help as they are unable to simulate it in the labs.

So if you can both read the first page of this topic and post any relevant info on CPU usage when the web browsing is slow. So if you don't have 5.0 any longer that isn't going to be possible.

Bangumbalez

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
It doesn't seem to affect my download speeds but only browsing speed. The pages take at least twice more to load. Even the forum here takes forever. After i disable Avast, everything goes back to normal. The problems appeared immediately after upgrading to avast 5 from 4.8 so there can not be any other reason for the slowdowns. My configuration is the following: AMD Sempron 2200+ @1.49 GHZ; 1GB RAM running on Windows XP Pro SP3; Mozilla Firefox 3.6. (same problems on any other browser but Chrome seems to be a bit faster). Just to get an idea, Google.com takes 10 seconds to load on a 100Mbps connection...

Bangumbalez

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 09:49:56 AM »
Hmm, it seems that the web shield is just part of the problem. With uTorrent ON (With NO Download or Upload running, just the 0.1kbs up/down that is always running) the page loading takes forever. If i close uTorrent ... BINGO, no more problems. Can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:05:15 AM by Bangumbalez »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »
gdiloren and others who also have the problem, are you also running uTorrent on your system?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.