Author Topic: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?  (Read 134289 times)

gdiloren

Re: Avast 5 WebShield slowing down your web surfing?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 12:46:22 AM »
I'm not sure if the speed test thing is really much use :
with "Scan web traffic" disabled my speeds almost double using http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
then almost no difference at all (either disabled or enabled) using http://www.speedtest.net/
then better results with "Scan web traffic" enabled using http://whatismyip.com/speedtest/index.asp than when disabled !!!

Obviously a lot depends on which servers are used and where they are situated geographically but even so imho these tests don't seem to help much with the present question.
I'm having the same results with 5.5 Mbs in download and 748 Mbs upload (and that differs somewhat from what I had yesterday night at 4.6/748 Mbs) with a A quality line. I think AILWIL should "think" protecting as well old and poor performing computers as well as performant ones. ;)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:48:06 AM by gdiloren »

gdiloren

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »
Forget it, those sites aren't reliable. When you test servers distant from you you can get very different and funny results that more or less make sense. It put doubts on the fundamentals of the thread!!! 8)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 05:31:53 AM »
+1

I got wildly fluctuating results with my wireless connect this morning, so I stick to my Auckland results.

first tried server in Los Angeles, which reported speeds up to 3.5 Mbps but fluctuate wildly if tests repeated

then Melbourne, Australia, and same again, bit better but still fluctuate - highest readings with web shield on.

I stick to closest Server in Auckland - better connect this morning surfing at about 1 Mbps but ratios were much the same, probably a bit improved performance with web shield on and scan http activated.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 12:29:21 AM »
I replaced ZA Free with Privatefirewall on the Sempron box, now I'm only losing about 5mbs to WebShield.

Was losing 15mbs to WebShield with ZA Free.

Maybe I should say losing 5mbs to WebShield & 10mbs to ZA ???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:40:48 AM by rdmaloyjr »

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 01:03:09 AM »
I missed that thread...
 OK to make things clear, I would have to uninstall avast completely to see how the behavior is. What I've noticed so far, with Avast5 installed, is no slow down of my bandwidth, but high CPU load on system/NT Kernel and System, and WmiPrvSE.exe (WMI provider host). The faster the download is, the higher the CPU load is. And I'm damned sure I never observed this when I was running Avast 4. Downloads use to run in the background without anything to notice.

It's too late to check how things would be without Avast, I'll test that tomorrow.

edit: avast processes don't show any CPU load during these downloads. Turning the web shield off doesn't change anything with the CPU load, if attempting to restart the download. I tested that with a Linux ISO. I guess the webshield, when turned on, scans some of it, as all packers are enabled for this shield, but it's unnoticeable.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:10:19 AM by Logos »

133794m3r

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »
Well, i'm not exactly getting noticeable results since they're quite random... At any given moment avastsvc.exe will go completely wild, and consume up my entire bandwith. I'm on a 1.5Mb/s line so it going crazy and downloading a few Megs of data at once is not exactly friendly to me as well, i don't have any extra bandwith to spare. If someone would like to build some infrastructure around here so that i can get out of the stone age that'd be great, but until then i have little choice in this matter. Also, it seems that my network speed is as sporadic as ever randomly jumping up and down. The main thing though is what avast does to it, it drops to a complete standstill, and then slowly goes back up resulting in a ~40-50KB/s drop in speed.
here's the pc in question's specs, i knwo they suck but well it was that or nothing. Also my internet speed randomly fluctuates between 1.5Mb/s to 1.3Mb/s on a normal day. But with avast running it has dropped down to 1.0Mb/s and below... None of these issues were happening in Avast 4 whihc i was using until my pc kinda died, and i had to try to find my avast installer which wasn't copied over so now i'm with this thing. So my issue is complete death of the internet with avstsvc.exe as the primary culprit, even with the shields off, it seems that it NEEDS to just out of the blue download a few MB of data.
Intel Core Duo 2.00Ghz cpu
GTX 260M gpu 1 gb ddr3 ram
1.5Mb/s dsl line
4GB ddr2 ram

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 02:58:59 PM »
133794m3r, I think you're being confused by Comodo reports. See my answer in your other thread
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56830.0

This is by design.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Hermite15

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
OK as said I tested this again, first with AIS installed and a 4GB Linux ISO >>> high CPU load on either Firefox or FDM, depending on which downloader I choose, + high CPU load on system processes as mentioned in my post above. Trying now the same with AIS uninstalled, and ... CPU loads are the same... there's either something wrong with my system or it's just normal, no idea. The bandwidth is the same, AIS or not, in the present case limited by wi-fi to between 2.5 and 3 MB/s.

rhawley1960

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 11:21:04 PM »
@ rhawley1960

avast will not ask you to upgrade in the manner you have said - you must be mean update

If you were asked to reboot then likely the update was a Program update - you will also see that on the page
- you should have program version 5.0.418 (unless you have downloaded Beta which is 5.0. 454)

Edit - sorry screenshot attached now

Please could you provide details of your updated details so forum can help you sort yr problem

Mine are --
engine and defs = 100308-1
program = 5.0.418 (as above)

It just upgraded again:

Engine and definitions: 100310-1
Program: 5.0.462

I still have the same problems browsing and getting mail.  I have to stop the Web Sheild to be able to browse after loading a few pages, and I can't use my mail client unless I stop the Mail Sheild.

harrys

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »
For me, testing the speakeasy link for speeds with and without the web shield turned on is not a reliable test. Running on a non dual core Pentium 4 at 2.2 GHz (my browsing PC). I get a 5.5 tp 6.5 MB/sec download numbers regardless of what web shield is on/off. Ran it 5 times in either mode. Now there was a time this PC raced along at 10-20 MB/sec, but my provider has slowed that down.

What the webshield sometimes does to me is shut down a safe/familiar site, like www.chicagotribune.com. right after opening its home page. Tells me the site is not responding, and turning off web shields always fixes that. With 4.8, it happened so often, I always disabled web shield. Less so with 5.0

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 03:28:25 AM »
@ rhawley1960

avast will not ask you to upgrade in the manner you have said - you must be mean update

If you were asked to reboot then likely the update was a Program update - you will also see that on the page
- you should have program version 5.0.418 (unless you have downloaded Beta which is 5.0. 454)

Edit - sorry screenshot attached now

Please could you provide details of your updated details so forum can help you sort yr problem

Mine are --
engine and defs = 100308-1
program = 5.0.418 (as above)

It just upgraded again:

Engine and definitions: 100310-1
Program: 5.0.462

I still have the same problems browsing and getting mail.  I have to stop the Web Sheild to be able to browse after loading a few pages, and I can't use my mail client unless I stop the Mail Sheild.

Yes you right rhawley1960 you can refer to it as program upgrade rather than program update.

I call avast 4.8 to avast 5 an upgrade. Afaik call what you want cos yr computer you using.

ver. 5.0.462 pop up the following day from what I gather, we on different time zones maybe.
I'm 2 busy to do the time difference math right now - I got faulty PC issue that still has me stumped.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

YoKenny

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
@ harrys

I'm getting hungry:
10 taste-tested Irish breakfasts in Chicago
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/dining/chi-100310-irish-breakfast-chicago-pictures,0,500382.photogallery

No slowdowns for me.

petusalem

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 02:26:10 PM »
Ha ha ha.

So much spam here. These avast fanboys are spamming almost all threads. If somebody is trying to get help for a problem, he/she will get many many replies saying: "I don't have that problem", It's working for me" "bla bla bla". What a mess indeed.

Please stop the spam and try help ppl.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
petusalem, I don't see fanboys here. We're giving free time to help. I'm not understanding of what are you complaining.
The best things in life are free.

Cako

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »
I think,I have a solution.
the PC of my sister had a trouble to access the modem with internet explorer.
took too long time to get access the modem settings.
I think avast web shield is obstructing access to the modem.
so I deactivated the web shield and then went i try again,i got it!.
but my internet its very good and fast.
my tip to fix it is:
go on in the web shield,then advanced settings / exclusions, and select URLs to be excluded end enter the (URL) IP address of your modem press OK and you see if the Internet its more faster.
depending on the configuration of your internet it can help.
EX: modem dlink 500b= URL= http: //10.1.1.1
this will make avast does not scan the traffic from the modem.I think
helped me on my internet explorer to have access to the modem more faster.
i hope that helps.
try this. ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 05:12:10 PM by Cako »