Author Topic: A strange little intrusion  (Read 6121 times)

Avastgc

A strange little intrusion
« on: February 14, 2010, 04:49:28 AM »
    I was managing some things on youtube, and was going to upload a video. I clicked an active-X control download box, and kept it on the side. I then went to look at a video. When I turned to accept the download, I ended up getting this. I immediately terminated the process of internet explorer, because I knew right away that the virus scan was a hoax. It was an internet explorer browser, and it did not have the form of my vista skins. It was not working as a windows explorer internal object.
    But as I closed this stuff out, I took some screenshots. I am curious as to how accurate and quickly some hacks are operating right now. Does this occasion, while being protected by Avast mean that I am at any time easily compromised?                      
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:54:03 AM by Avastgc »

ardvark

Re: A strange little intrusion
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 07:32:57 AM »
Hi...

It appears you installed a rogue. See if MalwareBytes detects and removes it. Be sure to run an update once you install it. :)

God bless :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:34:34 AM by ardvark »

fire

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
This happened to me yesterday (Feb 13th) also,,just curious,,how do you take a screen shot,,thanks.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 03:01:52 PM »
To make a screenshot:

Press PrintScreenSysRq from your keyboard then open Paint and click Edit > Paste

Or for better picture quality, you may use Microsoft OneNote by pressing Windows Key + S. Other third party programs may help too.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:19:32 PM »
@ fire

It depends on what operating system you have for capturing screen shots as Vista and Windows 7 have the snipping tool:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

MWSnap for XP:
http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:57:19 AM »

MWSnap works very well.   :)

fire

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks everyone,,I have XP,,hell I don't even know what half the keys do on a keyboard,,,lol

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »
@ fire

Keyboard Shortcuts for Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/KeyboardSearch_XP.aspx

I use these all the time
Windows Key+D Show the desktop
Windows Key+E Open My Computer with Windows Explorer

Internet Explorer 8 keyboard shortcuts
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-vista/Internet-Explorer-8-keyboard-shortcuts

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »
Alt + F4 Turbo Mode
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

fire

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Wow now I know how to do a screen shot,,thanks all.

disPlay

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 01:07:26 AM »
Hi...

It appears you installed a rogue. See if MalwareBytes detects and removes it. Be sure to run an update once you install it. :)

God bless :)

He don't have the rogue installed on her system yet from the process that I can see.

If he close just the windows, he will be fine (unless that website have some type of exploit).

Cheers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 01:42:35 AM »
Wow now I know how to do a screen shot,,thanks all.

Now that you have learned how to do that I hope that you don't post complete screen captures like the original poster, a real pain in the a**e for the poor saps on dial-up. Crop images to show what is relevant and ditch the irrelevant and use the .gif format which keeps file sizes lower and the quality is still fine for web page display.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Avastgc

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:49:26 AM »
Been a little while since this issue. My computer was slowed down after the little incident, but not damaged. I ran Window Washer from Webroot, and did disk defragmenter and everything was fine. But for some reason, visiting my own account page on youtube is slowing me down incredibly. I ran window washer again, and you need a very quick eye to catch it. But in the cleanup bar, something displayed as "WIN32tracksimpl.exe" as it flew by. It was too fast to screenshot, but I closed window washer to try and reset it to get a screenshot. The file was already cleaned from temporary, and my computer is up to speed. What is that format generally for?

Avastgc

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:51:26 AM »
Alt + F4 Turbo Mode

ALT + F4 is an override command, it just closes the current window without exceptions. That can damage things. Unlike CTRL +ALT + DEL that is the manager. (Also an override?)