Author Topic: Do I need another security soft. apart from Avast! 5 Free to be fully protected?  (Read 7755 times)

Mikos

Hi Alwil Team! I have a following question: I'm using beside an Avast! 5.0.418 Free AntiVirus a two more security programs: Ad-Aware Free and Outpost Firewall 2009 Free. Although they're not conflicting each other, I'm considering whether does it make sense to use Ad-Aware Free, which is very similar in functionality to your Avast! 5 Free AntiVirus, simultaneously?

Drop the Ad-Aware free. As many pointed out, this is redundancy already since Avast has Anti Spyware abilities.

What you need to add are on-demand scanners. On demand scanners do no run real time like Avast. They are basically scan and clean tools, unlike Avast that can prevent the infection, real time. On demand scanners work only if you open them.

Personally, I use Malwarebytes Anti Malware (free edition is an on demand scanner). And as a second opinion scanner if needed: SuperAntiSpyware (you need to exit the tray icon though since it is sometimes detected by the PC to be a real time engine although it doesn't do anything). Running them one at a time, after the other, after scanning with Avast, just to make sure the PC is clean.

With that you should be fine.

raziel

I removed a content of my post, because my observations didn't confirm.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:52:27 AM by raziel »