Author Topic: SLOW SLOW SLOW  (Read 4954 times)

michaellambert

SLOW SLOW SLOW
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
I recently re-installed Avast 5 on a new computer with considerable difficulty. It is now working, apparently.
However, my computer is now working so slowly that it would be quicker to go to the library than try to open web pages. It is taking 1-2 minutes for every page. Before Avast was installed it took less than 2 seconds!
I have turned off Microsoft Security Essentials but this makes no difference.
Just what else does one have to do to make this programme work? Big mistake opting for Avast I think.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: SLOW SLOW SLOW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
Hmmm... Better will be uninstalling MSE... Maybe disabling is not enough.
Do you use any other security program? Firewall?
The best things in life are free.

michaellambert

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
Thank you for this. I have disabled the Windows Firewall and quite frankly I am utterly sick of this programme. I keep reading that other people like it but I have never wasted so much time with any other software in my life.
Just about to delete the whole thing and buy an anti-virus programme that will work without making my computer almost unusable.
I simply cannot understand why this all has to be so difficult.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
It's difficult because your computer has something "wrong" or "different".
We can't help if you give up.
More than 175 million users have avast... ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
You have to uninstall MSE, disabling is not enough as low level drivers are still active and will conflict with avast, uninstall MSE via remove programs then reboot and run removal tool for MSE from here http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ 23b in the list ( read the info for directions ) you should run a repair of avast after this following with a reboot.
If this does not fix your problem you might have to do a clean install of avast as it could have been corrupted with MSE being installed.
If no other firewall is installed you should have the windows firewall turned on.

michaellambert

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Thank you for your help. I will follow your instruction and let us hope that my brand new HP computer does not have something "wrong" with it that it will not allow Avast to run without slowing everything to a snail's pace.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »
If its a brand new system make sure that you have also uninstalled the AV that would of come preinstalled, eg Norton, McAfee, same process to uninstall and look for removal tools in the link i supplied.