Author Topic: Scan error: the device is not ready(21)  (Read 14149 times)

hopeless

Scan error: the device is not ready(21)
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
Hi guys,
I need some help....i'm really bad at computers and need simple instructions to fix a problem with a scan error. When i do a virus scan, after it is finished it comes up with a results log with 18 items that have the message Error: the device is not ready(21). I'm not sure how to fix this.....also i can't stop windows from blocking avast during start up? I have to manually override windows to allow the program. Any suggestions??     

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Scan error: the device is not ready(21)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
Are you unplugging/disconnecting any media during the scanning?
Which are the files names and paths?

Why would you want to disable avast, specially at startup?
Is avast blocking a program and you want to execute it?
The best things in life are free.

hopeless

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:30 PM »
No i'm just letting it scan on the desktop screen......windows is blocking avast. windows defender comes up with a message that it has blocked a program, then i click on the box and manually override the block to allow avast to start up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 12:52:03 PM »
For sure, Windows Defender is not blocking avast... Are you referring to avastUI.exe or avastSvc.exe?

hopeless

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 11:24:44 PM »
I just purchased the internet security package. when i start up a little box appears that says windows has blocked a program, click here for more details. then i click on the box and click on 'run program', then click on avast. a little box then pops up that states a program needs your permission to continue, then i click on continue, avast then starts up.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:31:09 PM »
Which Windows application is blocking avast?

hopeless

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:11:54 PM »
sorry about the late reply. Windows defender is blocking avast at start up.

As stated above when the desktop screen loads, a little box pops up and states 'windows has blocked a program, click here to view details' then i click on the box and a new box pops up and has a few options, one of which is allow blocked program. I then click on avast and another box pops up that states 'windows needs your permission to run this program' then i click ok and avast starts up.

I have to go through this process every time i start up the computer. I'm not the only person who uses this computer...and the others forget to allow avast to run, so the computer isn't protected.

hopeless

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »
I tried to repair avast in the uninstall/change area in control panel......this didn't help either. I have contacted windows defender, but they can't help me  :'(

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 03:16:58 PM »

From the search results below, this seems to be a Windows Defender problem as avast is not the only legitimate program that is being blocked by WD.

http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Windows+defender+is+blocking+avast+at+start+up&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My suggestion would be to uninstall WD since there seems to be a problem with it.

hopeless

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
By uninstalling WD will that harm my comp in anyway? does it reduce my security?

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:22:42 AM »

I think not as long as avast is working correctly.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 10:31:19 AM »
You should be able to change the settings in WD... and apply the "allow" to avast permanently.
Don't know exactly where in WD that is found, but I know it is there somewhere. (WD for XP)
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Forward Unto Dawn

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:25 AM »
Hi, I'm also experiencing the same problem. I initiated a quick scan and after it was finished, the results table showed that numerous folders in the C:\ drive experienced the following error: "Error: The device is not ready (21)". I have Windows Defender on my computer, but it is currently disabled. I also have Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer.

Forward Unto Dawn

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
*Bump*

Forward Unto Dawn

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 06:51:49 AM »
*Bump*