Author Topic: Reboot loop after boot scan (can't get into safe mode)  (Read 45776 times)

billkwando

Re: Reboot loop after boot scan (can't get into safe mode)
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
I didn't say -  'RAID enabled/disabled'

I said -  In BOOT menu in Setup you should have a an entry 'Boot-time Diagnostic Screen   (disabled)'
It looks almost for certain like the RAID array was never connected up - not such a bad thing

I understood about the boot time diagnostic. I'd tried it before because it sounded promising, but all it did was hide the HP screen and show the motherboard maker. IIRC it appeared to boot up normally. I can definitely make a video of that too though.

What I meant to ask was what you meant by "connected/not connected". The partitions definitely seem to be spread across both drives, as my TestDisk data indicated.....right?

When I say it didn't used to say "Raid volumes: None defined.", I mean it used to list something else there. I just can't remember if it was the name of the raid driver thingy or the name of the hard drive(s).

I watched video
- you can see when you come to the Invent screen
- well hit the F10 key straight away - what happens? you should go to setup utility

My previous post there is a screen shot - that is the setup utility

When in setup utility - select Boot from Menu across top of screen
In Boot menu you see - Boot-time Diagnostic Screen   (disabled) - like in screenshot below
- well, change the entry from disabled to enabled

Yep, I will enable it again and make a video tonight.

Edit: Notice the spots and graphical corruption on the HP screen? I'm pretty sure that's my boot virus. Wait till you see the BIOS....colored blocks and misspellings everywhere!  :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 04:12:46 PM by billkwando »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2010, 04:38:26 PM »
Those spots on your screen are most likely yr graphics adaptor. Do you have a graphics card?

okay you can get into setup and the quick fixes - return to defaults - dont work? okay

I havent had time to read the thread - does Safe Mode work?
Tap F8 key lightly when powering up and follow the directions into Safe Mode.

disonnected/connrcted - the RAID array is not connected but yr hard drives still connected up like mine (SATA).

If you still got malware, then it is a whole different thing

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

billkwando

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 06:20:03 PM »
Those spots on your screen are most likely yr graphics adaptor. Do you have a graphics card?

okay you can get into setup and the quick fixes - return to defaults - dont work? okay

I havent had time to read the thread - does Safe Mode work?
Tap F8 key lightly when powering up and follow the directions into Safe Mode.

disonnected/connrcted - the RAID array is not connected but yr hard drives still connected up like mine (SATA).

If you still got malware, then it is a whole different thing

The thread title may be a hint. ;)

I may or may not have malware, after all, that's why I was running Avast in the first place for this to happen. Again, it wasn't malware that broke my system. It was Avast, and later a bootcfg that went wrong.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:01 PM »
hahahahaha I see what you mean. Sorry I was in a rush.

I just came back on a little while ago, and I was checking the code on some urls in case amlware

but I have to go out again.

avast doesnt do that - what about yr screen and yr graphics adaptor?

what happens when you try safe mode - can you run a video anyway - someone will be here.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

billkwando

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2010, 07:20:18 PM »
hahahahaha I see what you mean. Sorry I was in a rush.

I just came back on a little while ago, and I was checking the code on some urls in case amlware

but I have to go out again.

avast doesnt do that - what about yr screen and yr graphics adaptor?

what happens when you try safe mode - can you run a video anyway - someone will be here.

It could be my adaptor....it started with my big trojan infection. No biggie for now. Safe mode hangs at Mup.sys....which I also mentioned earlier in the thread.  :P

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
I'm at a mates, on his PC for a few minutes, sorry bout my oversight with Safe Mode, I was pasting from a checklist that aimed to cover all scenarios. And to tell you the truth, I still get feeling this is a hardware issue - and that the boot goes as far as mup.sys suggests that the HDD is not causing the crash (only suggests). Next file to load is ndis I if I recall correctly. That's good you noted that down, forum members may recall issues to do with either of these two file not loading.

Okay next step is to disconnect yr second HDD so that you are left with just the system drive
- its not going to hurt anything these tests with either of yr HDDsD

Turn computer off - take AC cord from wall to ensure complete shutdown
- you will see the cables leading to the two HDDS - one a power supply cable, the other from the hard disk to the motherboard.

Work out which is yr system drive - tho doesn't matter if you get wrong one, you just stop computer and try the other one
- unhook the secondary HDD and do the test boot in Safe Mode

Oh also make sure that you have no peripherals plugged in including yr network - so that is yr modem or router, etc...
- only the bare minimum so to give yr system drive a good clear run

Make sure the cables to remaining HDD are securely connected, plug back in yr AC cord, and turn yr computer back on, booting it into Safe Mode (hopefully) - if doesnt work we move on

I should note that bad ram can also cause the screen to go like yours but perhaps a bit worse than that
- do you know to how take ram out and put it back in, in case you need to try that a bit later on
- but really if ram was to cause it, probably would crash  nearer to start of boot process (- but not always)

and finally the graphics adaptor - do you have a graphics card or is yr graphics device built into motherboard?

See how we go with these steps - this is what I meant when I said you are as good as home, but lets hope you still have a system drive good enough for yr HDD to run. Anyway, enough for now. I should be finished here soon, and on my way home.  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:15:48 PM by mkis »

billkwando

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
No dice w/ safe mode, alas.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
you running only one HDD - system drive - now, you have to do this

It is the next thing to do - the other HDD can be reconnected later

I have to go out now but in a few hours time we can troubleshoot this in a chat type session if you want.
If we keep drawing unsuccessful outcomes I'm going to suggest you buy a Windows 7 install and start again
You did say your got all yr wanted files and picture / video off the drive?

And Windows 7 means that you can gain a bit of new ground to make up for the troubles you have had.

I'll be back soon

billkwando

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
I took the SATA drive back to bestbuy and got a 1TB USB drive and I'm backing up now.

I'll be able to mess around and maybe try to rebuild the booty part with TeskDisk or something. I still wish I could remember what the RAID stuff said at boot.

If I can't make it boot, I'll use F10 to recover windows XP.  Is there a way to un-raid it so when I recover I can have an actual C and D drive? 

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »
so it worked when you ran the drive by itself / or a few days back when you used the F10 key

I doubt if RAID was ever hooked up. What you have got is a standard - well not standard because SATA - but the common configuration - what you say you want - C drive and D drive

problem solved - yr system drive needed to run by itself first probably because like you said you altered the boot config. The system could almost get there, but with the added requirement of D plugged into the motherboard. Sometimes this can happen even without changes in configuration. I've seen it happen.

If the second HDD has been unhooked and is not hooked back up, then check your manual and see

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3271568&#

billkwando

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2010, 01:13:57 AM »
Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. What "worked"?

I'm just backing up my stuff now...something I've always had the ability to do, but didn't a drive to copy to til today.

Nothing has changed. When I say "F10", I mean a destructive recovery. A total reformat. That has always been an option.....just one I'm still trying to avoid.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 01:21:39 AM by billkwando »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »
What did you say you booted into to do yr backup?

destructive recovery - no such thing, but I think you mean what the old hats call a total recall
total reformat - you need an installation disk and product key
- if it comes down to this, someone will help you with upgrade to Windows 7, if that's what you want

I really thought this computer would run by now. The F10 key is something that HP picked up of Compaq when they bought the company. the F10 key is the Rompaq in their technology. HP utilized the F10 as a recovery feature in yr computer. I've recovered a computer with Rompaq, its a bit different with yr system. With yr bootcfg thing, you cant do any damage if you spell things wrong, only if you spell them right and action something. And the graphic adaptor. Can you take some photos of the back of the computer, anyway? Um...you have to unhook all the peripherals and just have the system drive running. You can run the CD player, thats okay. If any damage has been done, and must have to be for XP not to boot by now, you could hardly have caused it.

Once yr XP boots and we see whats there. And be easier to check what trojans and stuff.
There will be  bit work to building the system back anyway - has the system drive got avast running

so when did you first notice this funny things happening to yr computer?

Are you there billkwando. I want you to run some tests?

Have you seen the screenshot? Have you had this box on the screen - should recognise it if it came up
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:06:09 AM by mkis »

billkwando

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2010, 03:43:55 AM »
What did you say you booted into to do yr backup?

destructive recovery - no such thing, but I think you mean what the old hats call a total recall
total reformat - you need an installation disk and product key
- if it comes down to this, someone will help you with upgrade to Windows 7, if that's what you want

I really thought this computer would run by now. The F10 key is something that HP picked up of Compaq when they bought the company. the F10 key is the Rompaq in their technology. HP utilized the F10 as a recovery feature in yr computer. I've recovered a computer with Rompaq, its a bit different with yr system. With yr bootcfg thing, you cant do any damage if you spell things wrong, only if you spell them right and action something. And the graphic adaptor. Can you take some photos of the back of the computer, anyway? Um...you have to unhook all the peripherals and just have the system drive running. You can run the CD player, thats okay. If any damage has been done, and must have to be for XP not to boot by now, you could hardly have caused it.

Once yr XP boots and we see whats there. And be easier to check what trojans and stuff.
There will be  bit work to building the system back anyway - has the system drive got avast running

so when did you first notice this funny things happening to yr computer?

Are you there billkwando. I want you to run some tests?

Have you seen the screenshot? Have you had this box on the screen - should recognise it if it came up

Dude.....you're still making next to no sense at all. Why would you think the computer would run by now when all you've done is ask me questions I've already answered, and tell me to do things I've already done?

Except for the part about opening my computer and unhooking the drive, which one of 100 ways to "fix" the mup.sys error.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate that you're trying to help, but how helpful can you be if you can't even bothered to read back through the thread?

What's this about a disk and a key? I read the same manual you did. It explains how the system recovery works. It refers to the destructive and non-destructive recovery. Maybe not in those terms, but I'm pretty sure that's what HP calls it. The option to reinstall windows without formatting is gone after the bootcfg fiasco....so the only option I have is to restore it to factory spec....which formats the PC.

Please read the thread before you ask me anymore questions, because your helping isn't helping.

Edit: The F10 program is called PC Doctor, and I'm getting my files with TestDisk and Reatogo, thanks to essexboy's help. You'd know that by now if you were paying attention.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 03:51:13 AM by billkwando »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2010, 04:25:49 AM »
well no you run the thing around and dont answer questions straight like I got all the time in the day.

it doesn't matter now, the things I said to do are checked off, I prefer not here.
Could of saved a lot of time - I'm not reading back through yr posts when I can just ask you something

anyway, it has been a long haul cos XP usually boots with quick run through basic

How long ago did these funny things start happening anyway
You better get essexboy to have a look at this, just in case.

Its a recent boot worm called Zimuse

Eset pretty much got in first - here is their utility
http://www.eset.eu/download/ezimuse-remover

Malware city are other with a utility
http://www.zimuse.com/?cid=MalwareCity

Small files that fit on a floppy disk

Heres Eset report
http://www.eset.eu/encyclopaedia/win32-zimuse-a-trojan-startpage-g-generic-1729691-threat-sysvenfakp-based-maximus

Post this anyway for the benefit of the forum

billkwando

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »
Read the first post to learn how it happened. You've done nothing but treat me like an idiot, and I'm tired of it.

It's customary to read a thread before replying to it. I'm typing on a phone here, and almost every one of my replies to you has been written from a phone. I've repeated myself enough.

It would be different if anything you've said had helped. Like I said, I don't mean to be rude, but you continue to offer half-assed suggestions and refuse to scan through the information that I painstakingly laid out to make it as easy as possible to help.