Author Topic: Error 10022  (Read 3288 times)

LTS

Error 10022
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:06:15 AM »
Hello,

I have used Avast (free home version) for years.  All of a sudden, when I turn on my desktop (XP), I am receiving multiple error 1002 warnings that Avast will not be able to protect outgoing mail (SMTP protocol). Check if the mail scanner ashmaisv.exe is not blocked by your personal firewall.  Same for (IMAP protocol), (NNTP protocol) & (POP3 protocol).  The firewall I use is PC Tools Firewall Plus free version, which I was already using prior to these errors with no problem.  As I said, I have used Avast for years and just recently started receiving these errors upon startup of my XP computer.  I also have Avast on my laptop (which is Vista Home Basic) as well as PC Tools Firewall Plus free version and I do not get these warnings errors on my Vista laptop.  The only thing I have changed recently on my XP computer prior to these errors is that I upgraded to XP3 from XP2 through Windows Update.  Could this be the problem?  Is Avast not up to date or compatible with XP3?

Any help or information appreciated.

LTS ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error 10022
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
What avast version are you using 4.8 or 5.0 ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LTS

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 07:37:19 AM »
Thanks for your response DavidR.

Ummm...there's a version 5.0?  I'm using version 4.8.  I've not been alerted from Avast of a 5.0 version.  I just went to the Avast website and found there is a 5.0 version available.  Shouldn't my Avast have alerted me of this?  Will version 5.0 help resolve my problem with my XP computer?...or could it be that I my upgrading to XP SP3 from XP SP2 be the problem (because that's the only change I've made when these errors started).  My Vista computer is still doing fine...no such errors.   

LTS

LTS

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »
Ok...so I tried program update via Avast on my XP computer.  This did not give me the 5.0 update at all.  I then went to the Avast website and downloaded 5.0.  The download worked, but it is now showing my system is not fully protected.  I find that the Webshield is not started.  I went into settings and tried to start the Webshield, but nothing happens.  I went to "services" on my computer and tried to start from there...and I get ACCESS DENIED.  I also tried to change it from manual to automatic and get ACCESS DENIED.  Why is that?  I noticed that the Mail shield is also set to manual and tried to change it to automatic and also get ACCESS DENIED.  Just last night I ran Spybot for Adware & Malware (none found) and Avast (no viruses found).  I checked and my Firewall is not denying any Avast services!  Please help.

Thanks!

LTS

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »
Hi there LTS.

If you just updated to SP3, it might be an idea to go to Secunia online scanner (OSI) and check how up to date you are

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/?task=intro    And Start Scanner. Takes you to next page and Java applet starts to load (so helps to be up to date with Java) - check box for Display only insecure programs, and then press Start to run the scan.

After the scan a report is generated to tell you what's not up to date (e.g Microsoft updates that are missing for some reason or other) and other programs - especially adobe products - that need to be updated or else they make yr computer vulnerable to infection. Also, all manner of problems are likely to occur when a computer is not up to date.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

LTS

Hi,

I just wanted everyone to know that I solved the problem, in my case anyway (XP SP3 computer).  Even though PC Tools Firewall Plus was not denying any Avast services...after completing a manual restore point and backing up the registry first, I completely removed the firewall (using CCleaner's uninstall utility in safe mode and then manually went through the registry and removed everything related to PC Tools and PCTFW...also in safe mode).  I then re-downloaded the firewall (also in safe mode).  After doing this I know longer got any of the error 10022 errors that started my thread  (under 4.8) AND the Webshield for 5.0 was in service...no longer unsecure.  I've used Avast for years with little problems and am so glad to be able to continue using it.  I'm newer to PC Tools, but like it as well so far.  I don't know why I got the 10022 errors to begin with under 4.8, nor why after the upgrade to 5.0 the Websheild protection wouldn't engage, but this fixed my problem.  Let's hope Avast & PC Tools continue to co-habitate!

LTS  

Edit: added to the subject line to include 5.0 Webshield error
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:56:26 AM by LTS »