Author Topic: New build of avast (5.0.462) now officially released  (Read 114273 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: New build of avast (5.0.462) now officially released
« Reply #150 on: March 26, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
What is the purpose of installing 2 firewalls? I'm sorry I can't see the reason.  :)
Testing crash? ;D

lol... ;D
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #151 on: March 27, 2010, 12:34:01 AM »
What is the purpose of installing 2 firewalls? I'm sorry I can't see the reason.  :)
Testing crash? ;D

lol... ;D

Well, lower reason, actual already paid sub for OA premium, and then over install my Free with AIS...
That's all folks, and happened to click my Connect to see if whole online online could run in sandbox...
And when Reboot out of crash, OA offers choice to submit minidump to Oasis, and I click submit...
I thought someone would have ask about Chrome...well can you run Chrome in sandbox or what?  ???

Here we go again...
just got home, power on computer, bring up sandbox, run iexplore, open avast webforum...(screenshot)

Edit - looks like all systems go - (change size of picture)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:45:50 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Hermite15

« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2010, 01:12:41 AM »
OK but don't use both because you got both, or paid etc...you definitely should get rid of one. This definitely bloats your system. Could be that it run fines like that but one firewall out of these two is useless and can lead to conflicts obviously...on your network interface...opposite rules etc...

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #153 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »
@ Logos - yes doesn't look good does it?

the last post - two firewalls running (avast on Home setting  - the lowest), and inside sandbox, 2 iexplore browser windows open, and try to post a 133kb picture to the webforum, I began to notice bit of a power drain. That's why I did resample of picture.

I don't push the limit very often, and this system is very stable. I still have the two firewalls running, as avast firewall seems more just a scanner, providing reports on the system (could be wrong, may be more proactive than that), whereas OA is fielding requests and taking orders from admin and execute them (Allow or Block, I dont ever have to resort to Exclusions). That is to say, I'm not sure if avast firewall is actual administrating a gateway or simply reading the gateway. I may prefer avast reading to OA, which I hardly ever consult (screenshot).

Hmm...think about anyway. Thanks for advise Logos. Early days yet. I can look at installing Pro x 2 years on this machine, but that would be final, since the AIS package is the one I would really want, and change of plan would put that off for few months.

quote from: twl845 on Today at 11:14:56 AM
What is the purpose of installing 2 firewalls? I'm sorry I can't see the reason.

OA was already installed. I dont see the purpose in uninstall avast firewall when its providing me with reports on the traffic stream through my gateway. But I will check its resource usage. just have to do something else at the moment.

What about Chrome? Can you run it in the sandbox?
Anyone?
I am sure that I did it once, but I could be mistaken. It was my first time in the sandbox.   

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Hermite15

« Reply #154 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
yes you can run Chrome sandboxed, but it's useless because Chrome is already sandboxed without the need to use any other software for that (just Chrome, not the other browsers).
 You're wrong about AIS firewall, it's not just scanning, it does exactly what other firewalls do, work with rules, allow, block etc...Now if you don't want to get rid of OA, uninstall AIS firewall (deactivating it isn't enough, it will keep scanning).

ps: for Chrome, see that:
http://blog.chromium.org/2008/10/new-approach-to-browser-security-google.html

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #155 on: March 27, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »
Yes, I did pick up on that about Chrome (I think from in the forum a few weeks back). But really? I dont see the documentation put up front, like it is with avast. Chrome sand-boxed, er, okay? Never mind, I go look for the documentation. Not a big deal. I thought that the avast sandbox would frame the program anyway, like it does with the unsand-boxed iexplore and firefox (screenshots).

btw this computer I am on at the moment also has OA premium. But it is loaded wit avast! Pro rather than security suite (and btw avast! Free also loads AIS functionality but does not have the extra features as shown in product comparison sheet, including the functionality that is independent - I would assume - to those extra features). So really I could instead run the free product with this computer, and the other one, as both have OA premium as firewall (I did have a soft spot for OA, thought it was the best, and good support from Cat Princess over at OA forum, but things just ain't the same anymore). I have other protections as well, as incorporated into a layered defence a la YoKenny. And I can run with a different antivirus product if I want. I'm confident that I have the skills to make up for any shortfalls in a software product. I have 9 days anyway to make a decision about whether to enter contract for run avast! Pro (9 days to go, folks, count 'em down, wonderful discount).

oh and I have another computer, identical to this one - so they good for running tests (I have posted about them) - and that computer also has OA premium loaded. But I don't run the firewall. I run WinPatrol (system monitor) instead. An try to keep desktop clean and well-maintained on these two identical computers, so ready for tests -  something I only bother to do in a rather casual way with my other computer that I so recklessly, all but deliberaterly, crashed last night. But I mean, even that system is in far better running state than the average computer - and none of them, and I should say no computer that I am dealing with at all, is having any problems with v5.

Music to yr ears, Logos, surely it is?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #156 on: March 28, 2010, 07:35:33 AM »
I guess Chrome is not actual a process in anything but a virtual sense, that is to say, Chrome is off  \ desktop, and I'm am trying to sandbox as if it was on local system, where I would guess the nearest thing to Chrome as executable would be C:\Windows\Prefetch\Chrome, and you cant sandbox that.

You can run iexplore or firefox, scroll to google search and locate through that means I suppose, which is much the same thing as locating through Chrome, but without the added features that come through engaging the Chrome browser technology, indicating as one respondent put it that Chrome looks to develop more and more towards a thin/VM technology. Which will be ideal for running Google OS as web 2.0 type technology, in the cloud, so to speak, which does look to be what happens in the future.

I'm a bit lost on the devs, sorry, mainly because of their hard sell tone over something they haven't built into their technology yet. What they seem to do is leverage Windows technology built around I/O requests and default those system calls to fail in respect to chromium renderer processes. And chromium renderers are sandboxed in first place. They cannot access (write to) local system, as the documentation reads, reducing the  capacity for install of persistent malware.

But isn't this procedure for devs, who working in Webkit and writing code - where they can acess a 'lock-down' process to action resources and functionality, so they can operate within the sandbox?

And what we users are in fact looking at is thin/VM type technology with all the security advantages that implies?

I'm not sure of all this, but at least answers the question as to why avast sandbox can't find an executable to run as a virtualised process - Chrome already is a virtual process.

Past that, I concede, I'm a bit lost.
Its going to be a sad day when my local system is to be built in the cloud and I will need to plug my bare metal machine into the cloud if I am going to access any available resources.

There's a FAQ here -

http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox/Sandbox-FAQ
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:21:08 PM by mkis »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
I seem to be hogging this thread.   ???  (sorry folks)

Well I solved above problems in a single few moves.
I took advantage of two years avast! Pro for the price of one year $US39.99 ($NZ56 approx)   :D
That means no firewall, so you be glad to hear that Logos, and thanks for advise.

Now I need Microsoft to support XP Pro through to end of March 2012.   ::)

And still got my sandbox (process virtualisation), so very likely I'll keep making a nuisance of myself.   ;D

jrogers

« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2010, 05:33:46 AM »
I HAVE THE LATEST "FREE" VERSION BUT MY AVAST KEEPS SCANNING . WHEN I TRY TO STOP IT, IT TELLS ME IT WILL SHUT DOWN MY COMPUTER, I SHUT DOWN , AND WHEN I RESTART AVAST IS FULL SYSTEM SCANNING AGAIN???? IT CAN NOT BE STOPPED... I CAN ONLY PAUSE IT, OR THE CYCLE WILL START ALL OVER AGAIN?????   PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2010, 05:39:18 AM »
Have you tried to let the scan run all the way through and see what happens?

You may have scheduled a rescan when you installed
- in which case, press ESC and should stop the scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2010, 05:51:16 PM »
jrogers, avast keeps scanning? ???
Do you mean a blue screen with boot time scanning?
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2010, 06:06:41 PM »
sounds like the Avast evil ghost is striking again... unplug the computer once and it kept scanning ;D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
well, maybe avast just wanst to end that one scan, once and 4 all. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Ian Mc1

« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:18 AM »
Just like to say congrats on a job well done.
About 3 months ago had a virus problem so installed the new Avast 5 but had probs so went back to old reliable 4.6.
A short time ago had another download of latest 5.0462 and it went thro' as sweet as a nut (perfectly) going like smoke.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Jack 1000

« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
Also want to report that I had an Avast 5.0/computer slow down when installing the latest version of Microsoft Net Framework (3.5- SP-1) When I applied optional Windows Updates for MS Net Framework, the Welcome Screen would just hang.

Went into Safe Mode and used System Restore to return to just before the install of the MNF components and now computer works great.

Jack