Author Topic: Mail Shield blocks all incoming mail  (Read 3210 times)

Drakkim

Mail Shield blocks all incoming mail
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:18 PM »
I've been using Avast 5 on this computer for some time, along with Thunderbird 2, and no mail settings have changed. However, sometime between 3/5 and 3/6 Avast started blocking all incoming mail.

If I try to check my mail, Thunderbird immediately responds "An error occurred with the POP3 mail server. Mail server mail.steellite.com responded:"
If I disable the mail shield or turn off "Scan inbound messages" everything works.

I have updated Avast and restarted my system twice today trying to fix the problem, but no luck

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit
Avast 5.0.462, definitions: 100309-0 (Updated today, after problem started)

Drakkim

Re: Mail Shield blocks all incoming mail
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
I just fixed the problem, though I don't understand how / why

I dug around in Expert Settings and found several SSL accounts listed. I deleted all (3) the listed accounts, then checked my mail. (It worked!)
I went back into the SSL accounts and there was a new entry "fasterdns.net / POP3 / 995 / SSL"

The confusing part of all this is that I don't use _any_ encryption and I use a different alias for the email server (from web site provider), so why were those entries there and why did they block my (non-encrypted) mail access?

Hope this helps someone else!

Hermite15

Re: Mail Shield blocks all incoming mail
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:26 PM »
well apparently avast mail proxy detected your email provider as one requiring ssl , and it sounds that was a mistake  ;)