Author Topic: Reply notifications going to SPAM filter.  (Read 11511 times)

billkwando

Reply notifications going to SPAM filter.
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:01:48 PM »
Hello!

I wanted to let you know that the topic reply emails are getting sucked into Yahoo Mail's spam filter.

I work at a pretty big company and we learned that the same thing was happening to our mails, because there was an exclamation point (!) in the subject line.

While your emails don't have one in the subject line, they do have one in the sender name, "avast!WEBforum". I might recommend removing it to make it easier for folks to know when their topics have been replied to.

Also, your "hide email from public" option doesn't work. All you have to do is mouse over the mail icon to see the address......but maybe this is a known issue.... [Edit: I see now I was incorrect about this 2nd part]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:40:40 PM by billkwando »

Hermite15

Re: Reply notifications going to SPAM filter.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
1 hide email from public perfectly works, you can only see yours and the ones from those who decided not to hide it
2 tell your spam filter to exclude avast! notifications  ;)

hope that helped

billkwando

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:11:25 PM »
1 hide email from public perfectly works, you can only see yours and the ones from those who decided not to hide it

hope that helped

#1 did. As for #2, I'm trying to help Avast and its community. I already know how to help myself.

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »

hope that helped

#1 did. As for #2, I'm trying to help Avast and its community. I already know how to help myself.

sorry I don't get it, I just showed that your two statements where not justified, so who did you help ???

billkwando

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »

hope that helped

sorry I don't get it, I just showed that your two statements where not justified, so who did you help ???

How is my 1st statement not justified? I'm telling you for a fact that Yahoo Mail considers Avast email to be spam, and how that might be corrected, and you're giving me snarkyness. Not everyone thinks to check their spam filters every 5 minutes.

Say you're a mail carrier, and your customary method of entering yards is by screaming and waving your arms. My dog bites you, and I advise you, "Well, maybe you shouldn't enter by screaming and waving your arms". You, in turn, advise me that my dog should've been expecting you.

Maybe that's true....but if you continue to go screaming and waving your arms into other peoples' yards, whose fault is it, really, if you continue to be bitten?

My point being, "drop the stupid exclamation point".

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:28:32 PM »
what the hell are you talking about  ??? :D ...bye  :D

billkwando

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »
what the hell are you talking about  ??? :D ...bye  :D

Clearly you're incapable of grasping logic and simple analogy. Maybe next time before you try to be sarcastic, you make sure that you have the mental acuity to deal with the potential response. Or better yet, don't respond if you can do no better than state the obvious.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »
Your email is hidden, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

billkwando

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »

I got that part! I was incorrect about that. My apologies.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
<snip>

It is clear who it might help:
1. having added avast to his personal spam filter settings (helps himself).
2. by pointing out why it is flagged as spam, the exclamation point in "avast!WEBforum," if Alwil/forum software change that to "avastWEBforum" as the sender, it would help all avast/Yahoo users who contribute to the forums. So the reply notification emails don't get flagged as spam.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:52:18 PM »

I got that part! I was incorrect about that. My apologies.  :)

No problem, you should have heard me squeal when this changed occurred after a forum software update. I simply couldn't see the logic in hiding the email in your settings when you the user can see it, you don't know who else might be able to see it.

billkwando

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
2 tell your spam filter to exclude avast! notifications  ;)
<snip>

It is clear who it might help:
1. having added avast to his personal spam filter settings (helps himself).
2. by pointing out why it is flagged as spam, the exclamation point in "avast!WEBforum," if Alwil/forum software change that to "avastWEBforum" as the sender, it would help all avast/Yahoo users who contribute to the forums. So the reply notification emails don't get flagged as spam.

Thanks for that.  :)

It sucks when you're trying to be helpful and you just receive attitude in return.

Also, I'm glad you understood my confusion about the email icon.  :P

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:44 PM »
You're welcome.

Hermite15

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:09:46 PM »
what the hell are you talking about  ??? :D ...bye  :D

Clearly you're incapable of grasping logic and simple analogy. Maybe next time before you try to be sarcastic, you make sure that you have the mental acuity to deal with the potential response. Or better yet, don't respond if you can do no better than state the obvious.

it took a second poster to explain you things and now you finally got it ? fine, good guy  :) ...what were you talking about again, mental acuity ???  ;D

ps: if you ever need help again >>> 911
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:12:09 PM by Logos »

billkwando

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 08:21:42 PM »
what the hell are you talking about  ??? :D ...bye  :D

it took a second poster to explain you things and now you finally got it ? fine, good guy  :) ...what were you talking about again, mental acuity ???  ;D

ps: if you ever need help again >>> 911

Wow, you really are dense. He was explaining to you, not me. You must be a truly valued contributer around here, what with your insight into matters.

Besides, I indicated I understood about the email icon the first time you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:23:30 PM by billkwando »