Author Topic: Apparent miss match between Windows and Avast!!  (Read 3077 times)

crg511

Apparent miss match between Windows and Avast!!
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:58:15 AM »
My Windows Security is reporting that it is being told by Avast that the virus definitions are out of date. When I check Avast for updates it say everything is up to date, but by 'shield' continues to show a white cross on a red background!!
Although Avast is saying it is up to date I did notice that the program running was 5.0.377 and the latest was 5.0.418, but all by efforts to download it were unsucessful.
With the 'old' version (blue) I got popup box saying new virus definition recieved....this never seems to happen with the new version (yellow)
Any thoughts?
Regards
Chris

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Apparent miss match between Windows and Avast!!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:02:43 AM »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:25:15 AM »
Download from here and start installation. Select update, if possible or do a full install (then it would be wise to prior uninstall old version)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56770.msg478803#msg478803
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

olddog

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
...With the 'old' version (blue) I got popup box saying new virus definition recieved....this never seems to happen with the new version (yellow)..

Chris, For the record, the new 5 series is orange, and if you have automatic updates set (the default) you do get a pop up each time it is updated (on XP at least) and you also get a spoken audio confirmation as well.

By the sound of it, your installation is not working properly. My suggestion would be to download the complete new version from the links on the avast site, and also the removal tool, then uninstall the current installation, run the removal/clean up tool to remove any residue of version 4.8 and version 5, then reboot and install the latest build. When the install has finished, make sure you reboot.

Offline Vock

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »
To CRG...
I had the same recently and it had a pretty simple (and stupid) root cause (however, took me a while to detect it):
Is the date / time of your computer set correctly?
On mine, something must have gone wrong with the automatic time setting done by windows automatically - and my computer was already two months in the future. As a result, the Windows Security center complained that the virus software is outdated...
WIN10 Ver 1903, Avast Free