Author Topic: Avast is using the most network bandwith??  (Read 4649 times)

133794m3r

Avast is using the most network bandwith??
« on: March 10, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
Ok, i was just browsing the web and watching some movies on netflix, then the next thing i know, it pauses tells me my net's slowed and rebuffers. I open up Comodo and it reveals to me that Avast is for some odd reason using up 95.7% of my current bandwith being used. It's supposed to update once a day, and i realize this, but to actually pull that much bandwith so that netflix has to completely rebuffer is ridiculous to me. Of course that is on my 360 incase you're wondering how avast could use more bandwith than that. It happened for ~5min or so and now it's being back to it's normal self. Considering that it just updated a little while ago as in a few hours back, i doubt the update's ~5-10MB or so worth of data.

Edit, i'd also like to see Avast moving to a different ideal than using IE/Flash for the charts as i have uninstalled that bloatware a long time ago. So i have no charts to show anyone about any of that. :/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 02:27:32 PM by 133794m3r »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast is using the most network bandwith??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 02:57:22 PM »
This is because all the Web traffic is routed via WebShield (which is technically a HTTP proxy), so Comodo counts the bytes like they were coming from AvastSvc.exe and not the browser process itself.

If you disable Web Shield (or Mail Shield, which works similarly for e-mails), you'll see that the avast process won't be making any connections any more.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

133794m3r

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »
This is because all the Web traffic is routed via WebShield (which is technically a HTTP proxy), so Comodo counts the bytes like they were coming from AvastSvc.exe and not the browser process itself.

If you disable Web Shield (or Mail Shield, which works similarly for e-mails), you'll see that the avast process won't be making any connections any more.

this was it being idle though. I was sitting there without the web shield on. The webshield was off and it was still doing it and that's why it was by far the most confusing thing that i've ever seen about it.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:34:34 PM »
Which remote hosts was AvastSvc.exe connecting to then?
It doesn't do any network communication at all, with the exception of its auto-updates (which only take place every few hours).
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

133794m3r

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 04:29:35 PM »
I'll try to get a screenshot of it when it happens again. It was a few random ip addresses. Once it happens again, i'll attempt to get a screenshot or to. For now i can only sit and wiat for it to happen again.

Currently, it seems to be having fun with something known as 75.125.0.9 and also 75.125.29.266 but it's not using that much bandwith, so that's not too big of a concern. I'm going to go check out where those ip addresses are coming from right now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:31:28 PM by 133794m3r »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
The second one is the IP address of the forum you are posting on.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
@ 133794m3r

Look at CurrPorts:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html