Author Topic: Installer keeps crashing  (Read 2020 times)

Mele20

Installer keeps crashing
« on: March 10, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »
Avast 5 will not install on Vista Ultimate. The installer keeps crashing apparently because I want to install it on the E drive and it doesn't like that. In the past, I had Avast 5 beta (various builds) installed with no problem on the C drive. That drive is almost full on this virtual machine so I added another virtual hard drive and I want to install Avast to Program Files directory on the E drive.

Stran05

Re: Installer keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:50 PM »
I had setup Avast! 5 on my friends computer on the Local Drive D: without problems. But I have Avast setup on my computer on the Local Drive C: ;) 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
I wouldn't expect the target directory to have any effect on the installer's function(ality).
Is the installer correctly downloaded? (you can e.g. verify its digital signature)
At what moment does it crash? How does it crash - is there any error message?

Mele20

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »
I tried again just now and it worked! I think the problem was that the Installer said it would create a directory if it didn't exist but then it told me the directory was full and it would delete everything in it. So, I paused the installation to create a folder in Program Files on disk E to hold Avast installation and I think the pausing upset the installer. It created a huge debug file and I also had events in Event Viewer. But I was irritated and I rebooted and the debug file I guess disappeared with the reboot. I couldn't find the file after I stopped being irritated. As for Event Viewer, something is really wrong there as suddenly I cannot copy any event. That causes an Unhandled Exception and the snapin gets closed.

Anyhow, on this THIRD try after I first created a folder to hold Avast, it installed just fine. :)

I have to say again, Avast has the most beautiful GUI now!