Author Topic: Avast 5 Manual Update /With No Warning On Tray Icon  (Read 4546 times)

urlnts

Avast 5 Manual Update /With No Warning On Tray Icon
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:56:14 PM »
I was able to set Avast 4 to manually  update the virus database  without the warning covering the tray icon,is there a way to set Avast 5 that way?Sometime on start up I have a crash at the same time that an  Avast pop up says it was having trouble auto updating!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast 5 Manual Update /With No Warning On Tray Icon
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:47:31 PM »
Create a task to be run with elevated rights:

<path>\ashUpd.exe program /silent /nodetails
or
<path>\ashUpd.exe vps /silent /nodetails

vps updates only the virus database
The best things in life are free.

urlnts

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone at Avast and this board for the great work that   you do,all of you are tremendous with your knowledge,time and patience! This Dell 1720  Laptop /Vista has been a nightmare . I am a complete novice with computers  and do not really understand where or how to use your reply. I think that you are talking about using the Task Scheduler ?But that is another problem with this Dell,when trying to download Vista Sp2 some  files were moved and it would not go through so now when I try to use the Task Scheduler I get an error message!Everything else is working fairly well except for a crash at start up when I think Avast is trying to update!I have Sp1 and all other updates so after a year of hell with Dell and Microsoft they have no fix but a total new install,but with this Dell Media Direct  crap there is  a partitioning and install problem so I decided to leave it alone!SO,is there another way around ,Avast 4 had  the  box to check for just a manual update of the virus database and it worked fine , Avast 5 has the same box  but why does Avast 5 say that something is wrong if I check the manual virus database update box?Thanks again ,any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
urlnts, post a screenshot of the error message (the crash one). Let's focus to solve the problem and not to tweak your system.
The best things in life are free.