Author Topic: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back  (Read 111247 times)

EntitY

Re: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2010, 01:46:55 AM »
Humanity_Blows, I think that is still being weeded out by the Avast Team, so it's kinda like asking "who's on first" at present. Very good question though...

PAL10

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2010, 01:55:20 AM »
What computers does this seem to be affecting the most? The newer ones? Is it any particular OS?

That is the 100 million dollar question. From what I read around here it will load and work perfectly on one system. Then on another of the same operating system and similar build it will not work at all....or only temporarily....needing to be re-installed all the time. It seems to conflict with any prior antivirus being in the system even if it has been un-installed. This even includes earlier versions of Avast. I had many problems and had a new system that Avast 5 was the 1st antivirus to even be installed. It seems to conflict with all kinds of drivers for some people and not conflict with any drivers for other people. I don`t understand at all why it is so unstable for some and not for others ...so sorry I can`t be of any help......just wish I was one of those that it works perfectly for.

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2010, 04:24:17 AM »
It works perfect on my outdated laptop, I was just curious as to whether or not anyone made any headway on what computers seem to be the most affected.

It will be interesting to see, should it ever get sorted out.

ardvark

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2010, 05:31:11 AM »
Could we please watch the language? I'm an atheist.  :)

The "I'm religious and I found your post offensive" card works both ways, pal.  ;)

Let me pose this request another way: How would you like it if someone swore using your name (as the curse word?)

Mikos

« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2010, 05:50:37 AM »
Boy... You have some serious attitude problems there... I do not appreciate people who use vulgar words, indirectly or directly in their post. It only shows their lack of maturity and not to mention their sense of decency. No sense in talking to you... Talk to the hand mister. I do not appreciate your use of words. You are too damn decent. Must you resort to using the word "s***"? I do not care if this is just a part of your expression. Too bad. You just lowered yourself and lost my sense of respect.

And excuse me. I hardly post here. So what are you watching? Do not ever align me with the Avast Envangelist or other people you consider as fan boys because they are a different breed. I am simply stating my experience with the product and how the matter should be approached. If your cognitive faculties cannot handle it, that someone can say something about a product without being a fan boy, then it is no longer my problem. I am not a fan boy. Read... I said, I do not discount the possibility that the problem can exist in other systems with the same OS. I even stated how the approach should be done. I did not see a process of isolation or elimination in your post. All you did was reinstall, install... And yes, you mentioned in another post, you deal with drivers and all that. But what have you done with it? Oh I know... Call the guys who are plain people like me who do not have problems with Avast in their systems FAN BOYS... Very good.

Your approach: if other people, plain people, do not have problems and they say it, they are fan boys... Great!!! What a great technician you are!!! Whoa... The best in the world. You must be a fan boy yourself if you have been watching me... Duh!!! It is only recently I started posting considering that some blokes love to call ordinary people as fan boys when these people's experiences run contrary to theirs... Do not ever align me with any of the Avast Evangelists as they are a different breed... They know their stuff. I am just an ordinary guy who happens to have no issues with the product. Is there something wrong with that? Am I considered then a fan boy? Duh!!! I will then be considered a fan boy of Intel, of Nvidia... And other stuff out there that I use simply because it works for me... Very nice way to reason... Shows you have a lot in between your ears... A lot of air if you ask me... That you have to use the S word in your post.

You have good intentions for raising the bar of Avast 5. I just do not agree with your approach to people who do not experience the same problems as yours, by calling them fan boys. It is too inappropriate. Be careful of how you label people. It might just back fire on you. After all, you are not the bible in technology Sir.

I am not a fan boy my friend. Granting your PC only has Windows 7 x64 and Photoshop, and you still experience the problem, to say that it is Avast, and yet it works for other PCs with the same OS will still point to your machine. The idea that it is only the OS being present and Photoshop is actually a misnomer as Windows 7 alone does have a lot of things in it already. I would have checked what component like drivers, or other components that may work with Avast 4.8 yet it runs contrary to 5.0. An OS is not really just the OS per se as we all have different PCs. It does contain drivers and other stuff depending on what is in our computers. I would have had a changed perception if you have been more analytical about your response. But it turns out, it is not.

Our computers are different from each other depending on how we build them or how we set them up. To entirely blame the software without logically tracing where the problem is the way of those who do not use their cognitive faculties in trying to resolve the problem. Of course there is always an easy way out which is to remove the software and just change it to something that works immediately. But to simply say "hey fix your software" without giving the details in what is in your PC is rather futile for either the one having the problem or the one trying to fix it.

So now, who needs to upgrade what my fan boy friend?

In your case, better upgrade your cognitive faculties as it is showing already you are from the era of 386 PCs. Make yourself useful.. Post something relevant instead of garbage.

This goes both ways my fan-boy friend......A friend of mine the other day asked me if Avast 5 was working for me. I said no I had a lot of problems with 5 when it 1st came out. Went to their forum and just got blown off because I was mad and not a fan-boy. Basically told 5 was working fine for them so must be what is on my machine. As you know my machine is brand new win.7 64 machine with nothing on it but Photoshop. I went back to 4.8 and it is working perfectly. I still see people with problems on the forum so now I`m thinking of MSE. Why are you having problems ? Yes upgraded to 5 and it keeps freezing up and says I`m uncovered. Have you tried reloading ? Yes twice....did the clean in safe mode and everything. Have you tried the forum ? Ya right went there and lurked for a while.....no way I`m going on there and get abused by a bunch of fanboys......That is a true story my friend....yep keep up the good work Mikos...your really giving Avast a good name.....

How do you know what I did to try and solve my problems ? You know nothing about me.....I have watched you .....you and your friends are to busy being  Fan-boys and flaming on people like me and others that have problems with Avast 5. Your normal answers are .....their is nothing wrong with Avast 5...it is your computer....un-install, clean in safe mode, re-install and your fixed. Do you know how many times this has been said on this forum. Do you know how many times people have tried this and finally gave up as I and went back to Avast 4.8 or just moved on ? No you don`t but I would guess a lot more than you think. I did this many times...so many times that I can un-install, clean in safe mode, re-install in my sleep. I have looked at driver problems till my eyes bleed I could not figure it out....that is why I went back to 4.8. I don`t think (or have every seen) any software should be this hard to get to work. That is why I say their is a problem...or many. Microsoft is not the best company for sure....but if they would have had the attitude I see around here they would be long gone. And Microsoft is not known for their attitude for sure. My system is probably different then yours for sure.....but what I was trying to point out is it is not old, it is not full of sh*t and I should not have been having all these problems. Nor should most of the people I know be having so many problems with Avast 5.
      The earlier versions of Avast were some of the best software I have ever seen. That is why myself and many others recommended it to everyone we knew. Simple for anyone to load and it just worked like a dream. That is why some of us are complaining......Avast set the bar....now we are just holding them to it. If I didn`t think Avast was a great company I would have just moved on and never would be posting here. But I am not a Fan-boy.....I want to see Avast 5 be a program that is of the standards that Avast set for themselves in the past. That is not even close to what Avast 5 is right now. To have to dance the jig and jump through hoops to get it to work is not going to go fare for sure. Avast is much better then this and they don`t need all you Fan-boys Flaming users that have problems....
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:13:42 AM by Mikos »

Mikos

« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2010, 05:55:17 AM »
I use Photoshop CS4 Extended and the entire Adobe CS4 suite. And yet I do not have issues with Avast. Fan boy again...??? Yeah right... I am so impressed at you... Really... I cannot believe you would call average people fan boys when their experience run contrary to yours. Darn!!! Either the world is going back to the dinosaurs or you are from another species in the past transported to the world of homo sapiens sapiens.

Granting you want the product to improve... But hey buddy... Be careful of generalizing people and calling them fan boys. Your intentions are good... The way you do it though is inappropriate and very much offending.

@ PAL10

How many avast! users use Adobe Photoshop CS4 with a cost of US$699?
How many avast! users do photo editing like you do?

I'm not going to become a fanboy of Adobe Photoshop CS4 for sure.

Well my friend I would think Avast would hope that every Adobe Photoshop CS4 user would be using Avast sotware......Photoshop is the standard for Photography and some of us beg and barrow and save to get it. It is widely used around the world by people with money and people without much.........So I would hope that Avast as a company would be looking for users in all kinds of places......So what is the point you are trying to make.....or are you just trying to prove how little you know about the world.....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:12:47 AM by Mikos »

BigMike

« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2010, 06:37:00 AM »
I have been having this problem since upgrading to 5.0.462. Prior to that, I was really enjoying v5.

For the record, I am running WinXP SP3, on a P4 3.0Ghz HT CPU, w/3Gb of 2.99Ghz RAM. Lots of free disk space...

Not really sure why this is suddenly cropping up, but it's killing me. I can't do anything when Avast is running. I tried some of the suggestions like unchecking the HTTP scanning box, selecting only the IM & P2P apps I have installed, disabling email scanning, etc. As others have reported, "System" just starts consuming massive amounts of CPU.

I don't know if this helps, but I went through and disabled everything and re-enabled stuff one thing at a time. I seem to have minimized the effect quite a bit by disabling the "Behavior Shield". The web shield slows browsing down a bit, but the Behavior Shield appears to be what was killing my CPU. I have not had any other vscan packages on my system for a year or so now, at least. I upgraded to 5.0 from 4.8.

I hope this info helps, as I really love using Avast and I think v5 is a huge improvement, excepting this very critical issue.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:43:28 AM by BigMike »

slambo

« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2010, 07:51:26 AM »
In your case, better upgrade your cognitive faculties as it is showing already you are from the era of 386 PCs. Make yourself useful.. Post something relevant instead of garbage.

This goes both ways my fan-boy friend......A friend of mine the other day asked me if Avast 5 was working for me. I said no I had a lot of problems with 5 when it 1st came out. Went to their forum and just got blown off because I was mad and not a fan-boy. Basically told 5 was working fine for them so must be what is on my machine. As you know my machine is brand new win.7 64 machine with nothing on it but Photoshop. I went back to 4.8 and it is working perfectly. I still see people with problems on the forum so now I`m thinking of MSE. Why are you having problems ? Yes upgraded to 5 and it keeps freezing up and says I`m uncovered. Have you tried reloading ? Yes twice....did the clean in safe mode and everything. Have you tried the forum ? Ya right went there and lurked for a while.....no way I`m going on there and get abused by a bunch of fanboys......That is a true story my friend....yep keep up the good work Mikos...your really giving Avast a good name.....

The times that I've needed to delve into the forums for support, I've found that the people who actually work for Avast are quite professional and courteous.  It's only the fanboys that ruin this place, who for the most part alternate between giving out bad info and flame fests (as has been thoroughly demonstrated in this thread).  It would behoove Avast to rein them in, least their corporate identity get tainted.  My suggestion is that anyone who actually gains "Evangelist" status be limited to a few posts per day, with the suggestion that they find something useful to do with their life.

I am not sure about the people who actually work for Alwil being so great,but the
rest of your post is Gold Standard.

Although for Gods sake I do not know why you would back to Avast 4.8.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 07:57:09 AM by slambo »

YoKenny

« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2010, 10:25:43 AM »
Welcome BigMike

What other applications do you run on your system ???

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Could we please watch the language? I'm an atheist.  :)

The "I'm religious and I found your post offensive" card works both ways, pal.  ;)

Let me pose this request another way: How would you like it if someone swore using your name (as the curse word?)

It wouldn't bother me one bit. ;D

And I don't see where you get off being all offended with that post when you apparently like to twist holy scripture to suit your tastes. Last time I checked, John 3:16 doesn't say anything about not being an Avast! Evangelist. ::)

I normally wouldn't have bothered to even reply to your second post because I shouldn't have even replied to your first one, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a religious hypocrite.

I would say if you have something else to say, use the PM system, but I'm done replying to your posts, so kindly take your religious hypocrisy somewhere else.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:10:41 PM by Humanity_Blows »

BigMike

« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »
Welcome BigMike

What other applications do you run on your system ???

Thanks, YoKenny...

I run a lot of other applications, but have been randomly shutting them down and disabling them to see if they might be the culprit. I thought it was my backup application (Vembu Home, beta) but after shutting down all services for it, the problem continued. I also run Tivo Desktop/server, but shut those down, too. I have Office 2007 and run Outlook for email, and IE8. I run Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo Widgets, and RocketDock. Finally, I have itunes installed so I have the ipodservice that comes with it. None of those have ever given me an issue with previous Avast versions, and I was quite happy with version 418. It has only been since upgrading that I've had the problem. I hate to uninstall my backup app, as I'd lose my entire backup config set.  :P

Maybe it would have been easier to tell you what I DON'T run... haha!  :o ;)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
maybe u want 2 post a hijackthis log...?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

YoKenny

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
@ BigMike

I doubt all of those applications would run on my Windows 7 system either.  ;)

BigMike

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:10 PM »
ROFL... they're not all running at the same time, usually... but again, never had a problem with 4.8 or 5.0.418 ... it was only after the recent update.  :(

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
That's really odd that you're only having problems after the most recent update.