Author Topic: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back  (Read 110725 times)

Jack 1000

Re: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 01:26:39 AM »
No problems here running Avast 5.  Task Manager shows 0%-2% like nothing.  If there is a higher number, it settles down right away.

Instead of uninstalling Avast, you might want to check the number of Start up Processes in Task Manager, and use MS Config to disable the services you don't need.  (30 or less start up items is good, but the less, the better.)  Avast Version 5 seems to be less draining on resources than version 4.  Sometimes I will get right-menu fade-ins if I have tons of stuff on the clipboard or a huge picture in memory, but since upgrading to version 5, it has been less than before:

Here are instructions on how to use MS Config.  Make sure that you scroll down and select the correct OS before starting the process:

http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

I also notice less memory usage running Firefox 3.6 than IE 8.

Jack

TwoFatGuys

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
I am having a similar problem.

I am currently running Windows XP pro sp3 Intel dual core 2 GB ram

Avast is Version 5.0418

At startup AvastSvc.exe runs for approximately 5 minutes, taking 90-100% CPU. It does not matter if I log in as Admin, or user on Windows (permissions make no difference).

I went onto settings in Avast, and changed the startup settings so that Avast does not start until other programs start, and that changed nothing so far, I am still going through settings and trying to figure out what exactly is happening.

I have went through the startup items, and I have the bare minimum running there, Basically what I need for windows to start;), no Torrent programs at startup, nothing else major. Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor, Wireless Modem, OO LED, and Avast are the only non-system boot items. I am on a laptop that I have owned for 2 years, this is a new problem, there has been no major hardware changes, and yes I tried rebooting :P.

Like most users when I start my computer, I kinda need my computer  ;). I am in the computer field, and though I know I can make my system run very well, I don't look like I know what I am doing when I am working on a clients system, start mine up, and have to wait 5 minutes to be able to access my own personal computer.

If I can't get this problem sorted out I will have to go back (and I believe it is a step back) to AVG  :-[.

Brad

Tweaknews

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »
I have the same problem here even with the 462 update and seems to get worse a lot faster when viewing flash video files on the net from youtube etc...

It is not a problem with anythign else other than Avast. My machine is XP SP3 with a recent fresh install. AV 4.8 was flawless and the update to 5.0 brought about this problem.

I am going to monitor till the next release and if it is not fixed then I am going to have to recommend a different AV to my readers at Tweaknews.net.

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 04:24:49 PM »
 :o Jesus Christ, I was going to upgrade to version 5, but now that I've seen this topic, I think I will be staying with version 4.8 until this is fixed.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
:o Jesus Christ, I was going to upgrade to version 5, but now that I've seen this topic, I think I will be staying with version 4.8 until this is fixed.

There are around a million people using Avast 5 and only a few people are having this problem. So I'd guess the chances of you having this problem if you upgraded to Avast 5 is very small. I would bet money that the people with this problem have software or hardware that is conflicting with Avast 5.
I have installed Avast 5 either free or paid versions on close to a dozen PC's running XP, Vista or Win 7 and have never seen this problem.
When I upgraded my first PC to Avast 5 I made an image of my boot drive before hand just to be safe though I never needed it. If you have a backup program such as TrueImage you have nothing to loose, give it a shot!
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

bong2x

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
 ;) the only people who post their problem here is the people who have conflict with some other program, instead of asking help they put the bad side effect of software conflict but who knows maybe they don't really use the product and the intention is to ruin the mind of real avast user. but they only few compare to real user out there that do not have any problem or conflict with the software ;)

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 08:58:32 PM »
I went ahead and switched and so far, so good...no problems at all other than the female voice over they replaced the 4.8 version with sucking ass.  :P

bong2x

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
 ;D bob can help you about that. ;)

Mikos

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 10:24:20 PM »
I don't have any problems with my Windows XP SP3 either with Avast 5.0.462. In fact, it can do scans in less than 20 minutes on a machine that is rather old.

Chances are there are other programs or hardware causing the conflict with Avast, thus the CPU usage goes up.

Jack 1000

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
I don't have any problems with my Windows XP SP3 either with Avast 5.0.462. In fact, it can do scans in less than 20 minutes on a machine that is rather old.

Chances are there are other programs or hardware causing the conflict with Avast, thus the CPU usage goes up.

That's what I am thinking as well. Or a virus or some other PUP that is draining his memory and CPU usage.  Questions for the OP?   How did you get version 5?  Did you override version 4?  Uninstall version 4 first? Run the special Avast uninstall utility to completely remove all of Avast?

Are you on a network?  Such as a wireless network?  I was interested because you said multiple computers all had the same problem at nearly the same time?  Did this happen right after you installed version 5?  Maybe if you have tried all of the above, you could uninstall version 5 and go back to version 4.  Try that for about two weeks, and send an e-mail to the techs about this based on Avast 4's performance.  If your CPU usage jumps up using version 4, than it's got nothing to do with Avast 5, and is likely something else with your computer.  If version 4 says light on resources after that two week period, it could be something with version 5 and your machines and I would report this information.

Avast 4.8 gets discontinued on December 31, 2010, and who knows they could be up anywhere from an Avast 5.2-5.5 by than.  There's lots of time for you to still use version 4, and lots of time for new and improved builds to come out and address these problems.  But people have to report the issues to the Avast tech team.

If you switch to something else like AVG, there's certainly no guarantee that your RAM use will go down.  In fact, AVG is much heavier on resources than Avast.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:04:17 AM by Jack 1000 »

Tweaknews

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 06:34:46 AM »

There are around a million people using Avast 5 and only a few people are having this problem. So I'd guess the chances of you having this problem if you upgraded to Avast 5 is very small. I would bet money that the people with this problem have software or hardware that is conflicting with Avast 5.
I have installed Avast 5 either free or paid versions on close to a dozen PC's running XP, Vista or Win 7 and have never seen this problem.
When I upgraded my first PC to Avast 5 I made an image of my boot drive before hand just to be safe though I never needed it. If you have a backup program such as TrueImage you have nothing to loose, give it a shot!

There is zero problems with 4.8 so I wouldn't upgrade and throw the dice when a lot of peopel are having problems.

ardvark

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 06:57:58 AM »

Hi...

Could we please watch the language? Thanks... :)

God bless...

bong2x

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 07:10:13 AM »
 ;) here some of my experience that makes my cpu higher usage, ;)
the time that the registry booster detect some error in my registry
my cpu usage go higher 60 to70% but registry boosters always point out the game installed in my comp. :D

Union_Thug

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »
I have removed Avast 5 from all 3 systems and installed Avira, now my systems are back to working again.

Good luck with those numerous daily FP's, corrupt/failed often enormous updates (speaking of CPU usage, you ain't seen nothing yet) the annoying splash screen at startup and the even more so annoying daily "begging" screens to  purchase the full version.

But no worries, mate..... the Avira support staff will promptly, courteously & professionally answer IGNORE your NUMEROUS DAILY FP queries!

Union_Thug

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:03 AM »
@ Jack 1000 wrote:

If you switch to something else like AVG, there's certainly no guarantee that your RAM use will go down.  In fact, AVG is much heavier on resources than Avast.

Amen to that, brother. You forgot to add that while becoming increasingly more intrusive and also increasing it's resource usage, AVG is quickly becoming the "New" Norton (IMHO)---

Norton AVG is as useful to a home computer user as a screen door is to a submerged submarine.