Author Topic: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back  (Read 111153 times)

PAL10

Re: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 04:16:26 AM »
well, i have been using avast for a long time. no problems ever. downloaded the new database sometime last week, not sure when, just heard the "virus database" updated voice, and soon afterwards, my computer started eating up ram. system slowed to a snail's pace.  well, after suffering for a week trying to figure it out, i finally restored my system back prior to that d/l and everything went back to normal. soon after d/l auto again, same snail's pace.  when i got my computer's system back, after an hour or so and much holding back my fist into my monitor, i uninstalled avast.  no probs since.  i reinstalled avg, sorry to say, and will continue using it until i get a firm reassurance that my computer will not be repeating the snail routine with avast.  i'll check back from time to time to see if this prob has been resolved. thanks for the past virus-free protection avast and hopefully will again install it, problem free.  not sure which version i had, i know it updates automatically with new database ... the voice reminds me of it. :) ...

Oh My Gosh  :o   Have you not been reading what the Avast Evangelists have been saying for the past 2 months. Their is nothing wrong with Avast 5...it is your computer !! Their are millions using it with no problems it is your computer. All you have to do is un-install jump through a bunch of hoops in save mode that is. Then re-install and it will be working fine. If you do this once or twice a week Avast 5 will work fine for you. Why do you always want the easy way.....Why would you think it should work like it has for years....just install and work.....why would you want that.
        Yes it is really sad....I was a happy Avast user for many years to. At 1st I thought they would get 5 working in no time....now I really wonder. Seem to feel it is working fine on enough machines so that is good enough. That isn`t what got them to the top.....but it is what has toppled many corps. these days. Time will tell.....wish it was the old days when I went around telling everyone to use Avast. I also do wonder where all these people are that are using it ? Less than a few months ago I knew no one using anything but Avast. Now I know no one using it. Quit a change in a few months. Here is to hope someday 5 is as good or better then 4.8........Peter

gdiloren

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 04:28:34 AM »
+1

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 04:43:35 AM »
And yet you stay. Why is that?

Is it because you see us migrate to the new release wit no problem at all.
My friend here, all the same.

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

bama691

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 05:11:26 AM »
well, i have been using avast for a long time. no problems ever. downloaded the new database sometime last week, not sure when, just heard the "virus database" updated voice, and soon afterwards, my computer started eating up ram. system slowed to a snail's pace.  well, after suffering for a week trying to figure it out, i finally restored my system back prior to that d/l and everything went back to normal. soon after d/l auto again, same snail's pace.  when i got my computer's system back, after an hour or so and much holding back my fist into my monitor, i uninstalled avast.  no probs since.  i reinstalled avg, sorry to say, and will continue using it until i get a firm reassurance that my computer will not be repeating the snail routine with avast.  i'll check back from time to time to see if this prob has been resolved. thanks for the past virus-free protection avast and hopefully will again install it, problem free.  not sure which version i had, i know it updates automatically with new database ... the voice reminds me of it. :) ...

Oh My Gosh  :o   Have you not been reading what the Avast Evangelists have been saying for the past 2 months. Their is nothing wrong with Avast 5...it is your computer !! Their are millions using it with no problems it is your computer. All you have to do is un-install jump through a bunch of hoops in save mode that is. Then re-install and it will be working fine. If you do this once or twice a week Avast 5 will work fine for you. Why do you always want the easy way.....Why would you think it should work like it has for years....just install and work.....why would you want that.
        Yes it is really sad....I was a happy Avast user for many years to. At 1st I thought they would get 5 working in no time....now I really wonder. Seem to feel it is working fine on enough machines so that is good enough. That isn`t what got them to the top.....but it is what has toppled many corps. these days. Time will tell.....wish it was the old days when I went around telling everyone to use Avast. I also do wonder where all these people are that are using it ? Less than a few months ago I knew no one using anything but Avast. Now I know no one using it. Quit a change in a few months. Here is to hope someday 5 is as good or better then 4.8........Peter

thedon57

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 05:48:10 AM »
Hi nothing wrong with avast in fact got new computer with antivirus installed on it computer slow because i am on a doggle which is wire free.
Uninstalled the one that was on it put avast on and now computer up and running fast and also no crashes or slowness.
I swear by avast and i let everyone i know all about it so as someone as told you got to be your machine not avast.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »
well, i have been using avast for a long time. no problems ever. downloaded the new database sometime last week, not sure when, just heard the "virus database" updated voice, and soon afterwards, my computer started eating up ram. system slowed to a snail's pace.  well, after suffering for a week trying to figure it out, i finally restored my system back prior to that d/l and everything went back to normal. soon after d/l auto again, same snail's pace.  when i got my computer's system back, after an hour or so and much holding back my fist into my monitor, i uninstalled avast.  no probs since.  i reinstalled avg, sorry to say, and will continue using it until i get a firm reassurance that my computer will not be repeating the snail routine with avast.  i'll check back from time to time to see if this prob has been resolved. thanks for the past virus-free protection avast and hopefully will again install it, problem free.  not sure which version i had, i know it updates automatically with new database ... the voice reminds me of it. :) ...

Oh My Gosh  :o   Have you not been reading what the Avast Evangelists have been saying for the past 2 months. Their is nothing wrong with Avast 5...it is your computer !! Their are millions using it with no problems it is your computer. All you have to do is un-install jump through a bunch of hoops in save mode that is. Then re-install and it will be working fine. If you do this once or twice a week Avast 5 will work fine for you. Why do you always want the easy way.....Why would you think it should work like it has for years....just install and work.....why would you want that.

Obviously some people are having problems with Avast 5. People having problems have something in or connected to their PC's causing a conflict with Avast 5. Avast 5 plus some yet unknown variable(s) is causing these problems. ALWIL can't fix what they cant see! People with performance related problems need to do some leg work themselves.

Have you tried disconnecting all non essential external devices? Have you tried disabling all non essential hardware devices in control panel one at a time while Avast is running to see if a device driver has a conflict with Avast? To test for a video driver conflict it would be necessary to uninstall the driver and use windows defaults. Have you tried disabling all non essential drivers and software excluding Avast and MS services in msconfig.

Note: Not all PC users can handle the above task. If you can't you can't. I would guess enough people should be able to handle the above with or without assistance to help get these problems fixed. Once ALWIL knows the cause(s) a fix will come out. Either from ALWIL or the hardware or software manufacture that is causing the problem.

IMO people having problems with Avast 5 need to do what it takes to get a fix. If a person is unwilling to do anything but complain do not even post in this forums for help. All it does is make it harder to help people that really want help. Sometimes I wonder if some of these posts are from AVG/Avira trolls.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:21:27 PM by wonderwrench »
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

EntitY

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 08:00:14 PM »
You know you're a fanboy/fangirl if...

everybody else is just plain wrong. Those idiots. --Alan Stafford, via our Facebook page

you check the Wikipedia page of your favorite product every couple of hours to ensure that no unfair, unsubstantiated, and deeply hurtful comments have been added to the entry and are now just sitting there unchallenged. --Steven Gray, PC World

you've experienced feelings of sexual arousal during new product demonstrations. --Mark Sullivan, PC World

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 08:15:14 PM »
post deleted
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 11:26:16 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Mikos

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 09:05:01 PM »
I resent being called a fan boy simply because something works for me, although I am not an Avast Evangelists, but considering I have always been saying here that I never really had issues with Avast. It only goes to show that people who say these things are either disgruntled or they really do not know what they are saying. Read: Sour Grapers!!!

For one, my PCs, work with Avast 5. It performs very well. The only time I ever had problems with Avast was that when it was still bloated, which got fixed by 4.8.1368 and the update fiasco which turned almost everything into false positives, but that was still with Avast 4.8.

Now if I say I have never seen any problems with Avast 5.0 ever since having it, am I therefore a fan boy? I think not. It is basically with experience the same reason why I say it. When I read issues with Avast 5.0, specially with those using Windows 7 and Windows XP SP3, I cannot help but wonder, why am I not having the same problem? If there is really something wrong with Avast 5.0 then by all means all Windows XP SP3 PCs should experience the problem, same with Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

Read again: All of us install stuff in the PC. This is where we all differ. I basically know how to take care of my PC and thus do know what I put into it. To say that one thing doesn't work in another machine simply because it is using Windows XP SP3, hey, look at your machine. When others with the same OS is not experiencing it, it simply means one thing: you have placed something in that machine that causes the program to behave like that. It would be worth it your time and Alwil to tell them what is in your PC instead of grumbling here and there and calling everyone not having the problem as fan boys or fan girls.

The mature way to go about this is to check which programs are in the machines that work well and check it with yours. Too bad, most of the people who say those that do not have problems are fan boys does not follow this attitude. It gives me the impression that they are sour grapers.

For those who think we who do not have problems with Avast as Fan boys: GROW UP!!!

Mikos

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »

On a Windows XP SP3 with 1 Gb of RAM, with 2 HDDs 40 Gb each, I can do a full system scan in 25 minutes. So isn't that an improvement over 4.8 which takes it almost an hour to finish. And the PC is not sluggish since the AV does not use so much CPU power as well as memory. And take note, my PC has a Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz and it hums like a pro. It is way faster on my main machine (whose specs are in my signature).

Almost everyone I know uses Avast 5.0. So how then ours works and yours doesn't? Bad product? Oh well... I doubt. It is your machine perhaps. I need not say more.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
You know you're a fanboy/fangirl if...

everybody else is just plain wrong. Those idiots. --Alan Stafford, via our Facebook page

you check the Wikipedia page of your favorite product every couple of hours to ensure that no unfair, unsubstantiated, and deeply hurtful comments have been added to the entry and are now just sitting there unchallenged. --Steven Gray, PC World

you've experienced feelings of sexual arousal during new product demonstrations. --Mark Sullivan, PC World

You can call me a fanboy if I can call you a troll. I know and you know some people are having problems with Avast 5. Either help fix it or GTFO.
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Cassy

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 10:17:48 PM »
Seem to feel it is working fine on enough machines so that is good enough. That isn`t what got them to the top
Yes, that's the point.

Judging by what has happened to similar companies in similar situations, this is how the story will continue.  (I am getting good and clear signals from my crystal ball.):

A year or two or three down the road, some people in the company's management will notice that they are rapidly losing market share.  Management will (continue to) blame the stupid customer.  In fact, judging what has happened to some other companies, they will go into a 'death spiral' where they will almost intentionally allow customer service to get worse and worse while refusing to consider any changes in the product.  (Try hitting something like http://www.google.com/search?q="death+spiral"+"market+share" .  You'll see some interesting names.)

And noone at the company will care.  The highest levels of management will either continue to get amazing salaries or take their golden parachutes and go on to other companies, while many of the lower and middle level employees will lose their jobs in one way or another and will blame economic conditions.  The actual owners of the company, whoever they are, will probably lose some money, and some of them will both care and understand why, but they will not have the power to change anything.

Is there anyone else here old enough to remember when almost the entire AV market was owned by two companies called Symantec and McAfee?  Even in the tiny Asian country where I've been parking my bones for the last few decades, EVERYONE was using AV software by one or the other (or none at all).  I don't know anyone here who is using theirs now, and my impression is that in the big, developed markets, they are competing desperately against such names as Alwil, Avira, and ESET, which noone there had heard of then.

T
C
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 12:11:37 AM by Cassy »

TwoFatGuys

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
;) the only people who post their problem here is the people who have conflict with some other program, instead of asking help they put the bad side effect of software conflict but who knows maybe they don't really use the product and the intention is to ruin the mind of real avast user. but they only few compare to real user out there that do not have any problem or conflict with the software ;)

First off Mr. Bong, I am not slamming Avast, I have only discussed this program here, on this forum, and with other Computer nerds I hang out with. Avast is still the top recommendation on my website.

I am an owner of a computer repair shop, and an installation tech, I make a living off of computers, and I know what I am doing.

Second, I did ask for help, I was under the impression that this was the place to ask. I searched for the problem I was having, and posted under that thread.

Third, yes there are only a few of us. Since I have had this problem I have installed Avast on 6 other systems, and mine is the only one that has had this problem. It's still a problem.

Is this how well this forum is moderated? New members are berated by fanboys that think everyone that has a problem is just an idiot?

I'm still working on the problem on my end. I believe it is hardware related, but I have to do some more testing to know one way or another.  It doesn't seem to matter what is running at startup. I have some video I am working on getting up, you know so the fanboys can critique it to pieces.

Fats

Tweaknews

« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 01:36:50 AM »
People stating that there is nothing wrong with AVAST 5 and it is something wrong with our systems are indeed fanboys.

I have had the same system with no changes other than Avast 5 and it is now my computer's fault???!!! Give me a break and wake up.

I am now downgrading to Avast 4.8 and getting my speed back.

Multitasking with Avast 5 is a nightmare and I have a quad core QX6700 now at 100% to jsut load a webpage.

Avast 5 should still beta and will be turning a lot of people away from this product.

I am not longer promoting it on my website till it gets fixed.

gdiloren

« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »
I quit AVAST for their crazy policy. They developed AVAST 5 using brand new computers from the start point. The vast majority of us are using OLDER computers 2-3 even 8 years old. All other AV softwares work fine. AVAST 5 won't. Should we all send money to the NEW PC industry to quench AILWIL new TASTE for extravaganza!!!   ???