Author Topic: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back  (Read 110718 times)

Jacksss

Re: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:42 AM »
Maybe your avast has been damaged.you can try to heavy it again.Good lucks to you.

Bootstrap

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:18 AM »
I quit AVAST for their crazy policy. They developed AVAST 5 using brand new computers from the start point. The vast majority of us are using OLDER computers 2-3 even 8 years old. All other AV softwares work fine. AVAST 5 won't. Should we all send money to the NEW PC industry to quench AILWIL new TASTE for extravaganza!!!   ???

Yes,exactly! Please note the quoted post was from  a long time,respected member of your forum,and not a upset newbie with a hosed computer,curtsy of Avast 5,such as myself.
I do not care if 1 out of 100 have a problem(s) with your software.
MY problem still exists!!

Avira lacks a hell of a lot being perfect,but it is so far ahead of  Avast!,
that it amounts to the same thing!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 02:26:21 AM »
I quit AVAST for their crazy policy. They developed AVAST 5 using brand new computers from the start point. The vast majority of us are using OLDER computers 2-3 even 8 years old. All other AV softwares work fine. AVAST 5 won't. Should we all send money to the NEW PC industry to quench AILWIL new TASTE for extravaganza!!!   ???

That is patently rubbish, as the resources for avast 5.0 are effectively lighter than 4.8, so it should work on the same hardware that 4.8 worked on as many many users are happily doing; or this forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree if this problem were across the board.

If this isn't the case for you then there is something wrong, given the mix of security software software according to your signature, it might be might be introducing a conflict, I just don't know.

Why it is happening to some using avast 5.0 is beyond me. What is sure is that for those that it is impacting, it is a serious problem and one that many feel they can't live with in the current condition.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bootstrap

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2010, 02:39:07 AM »
I quit AVAST for their crazy policy. They developed AVAST 5 using brand new computers from the start point. The vast majority of us are using OLDER computers 2-3 even 8 years old. All other AV softwares work fine. AVAST 5 won't. Should we all send money to the NEW PC industry to quench AILWIL new TASTE for extravaganza!!!   ???

That is patently rubbish, as the resources for avast 5.0 are effectively lighter than 4.8, so it should work on the same hardware that 4.8 worked on as many many users are happily doing; or this forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree if this problem were across the board.

If this isn't the case for you then there is something wrong, given the mix of security software software according to your signature, it might be might be introducing a conflict, I just don't know.

Why it is happening to some using avast 5.0 is beyond me. What is sure is that for those that it is impacting, it is a serious problem and one that many feel they can't live with in the current condition.

You assume of course all of these potential millions with problems, know the location to these obscure Forums,rather than blaming their on lack of knowledge,and striking out blindly to find an answer?
I admire your loyalty,but it proves nothing.

Rather,I propose those most likely to report their problems on this forum,are those most likely to be able to troubleshoot their own issues!!

While the bulk of those suffering from Alwil incompetence,do so without guidance.

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 02:48:05 AM »

I'd like to point out that I'm using a Compaq Presario 722 US laptop with an AMD (Duron) Processor @ 1.1 GHz and 352 MB of RAM and I haven't noticed my computer running any slower on Avast! 5 than when I was running Avast! 4.8.

Bootstrap

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 03:14:21 AM »

I'd like to point out that I'm using a Compaq Presario 722 US laptop with an AMD (Duron) Processor @ 1.1 GHz and 352 MB of RAM and I haven't noticed my computer running any slower on Avast! 5 than when I was running Avast! 4.8.

Have you noticed it running any faster?
That is the Alwil party line.
Avast! 5 is lighter than 4.8.

andrewlen

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 03:34:01 AM »

"All" other AV software works fine?  Have you actually confirmed that?

If you want to see how little of your computer's resources Avast uses compared to others popular AV's, install something like Norton 360 or Kasperky Security Suite on your older machine(s) for a few days.. Your appreciation of how little resources are used by Avast in comparison to most other brands should be renewed in no time.  ;D

Cheers...

Humanity_Blows

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 03:39:48 AM »

Have you noticed it running any faster?
That is the Alwil party line.
Avast! 5 is lighter than 4.8.

I'm not sure if it is or not, I really can't seem to tell a difference either way, but I can tell you that it scans my system faster on a full thorough scan than 4.8 did.

Bootstrap

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 03:44:42 AM »
I quit AVAST for their crazy policy. They developed AVAST 5 using brand new computers from the start point. The vast majority of us are using OLDER computers 2-3 even 8 years old. All other AV softwares work fine. AVAST 5 won't. Should we all send money to the NEW PC industry to quench AILWIL new TASTE for extravaganza!!!   ???

"All" other AV software works fine?  Have you actually confirmed that?

If you want to see how little of your computer's resources Avast uses compared to others popular AV's, install something like Norton 360 or Kasperky Security Suite on your older machine(s) for a few days.. Your appreciation of how little resources are used by Avast in comparison to most other brands should be renewed in no time.  ;D

Cheers...

Just for clarification: You are saying Avast5 uses less RAM and CPU than Avira 9?

You have task manager screenshots to prove that?

Please do not go into the "Avast provides more shields than Avira"!!
The only Shields that really matter, are the standard, and the Web Shield.
Avira free does not provide a web shield,and Avast! 5's is unworkable.

And what relevance is a comparison of Kaspersky Security SUITE,with Avast free? or paid AV?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:54:22 AM by Bootstrap »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2010, 04:00:15 AM »
<snip>
You assume of course all of these potential millions with problems, know the location to these obscure Forums,rather than blaming their on lack of knowledge,and striking out blindly to find an answer?
I admire your loyalty,but it proves nothing.

Rather,I propose those most likely to report their problems on this forum,are those most likely to be able to troubleshoot their own issues!!

While the bulk of those suffering from Alwil incompetence,do so without guidance.

I assume nothing, I see it in the forums if there is a serious issue believe me it does light up and very fast. Like some time ago when a VPS update in one particular virus signature was released late one night, without it first having been run against the white list to ensure it was OK (against) and it caused the worst False Positive occurrence I have seen in avast. They all managed to find the forums and most of them were first time posters.

Loyalty my ass, I don't work for Alwil but am just an avast user for six years and if I find something wrong I'm not known to hold back. Perhaps I have been lucky for the last six years where I haven't had a serious problem with avast even when beta testing. But if there is something which I can see is wrong I speak out about it I follow no party line.

Where have you seen me blame the user for a lack of knowledge. As for striking out blindly I haven't been following gdiloren problem, if he has posted it in another topic, my response was based only on the post I quoted. So I only mentioned what I saw in his post and signature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

andrewlen

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 04:30:52 AM »
Just for clarification: You are saying Avast5 uses less RAM and CPU than Avira 9?[/quote]

Where on earth did you get Avira out of what I wrote? lol.. I actually said nothing about Avira 9 or any other versions of it. I tried Avira once a year or two ago on one of my home machines and hated its interface (personal preference) so it didn't last more than a few days on my machine.

I"m talking about well known mainstream AV brands which is what I would normally compare a product against.

You have task manager screenshots to prove that?

Oh please.. do you have screenshots to dis-prove it? I didn't claim anything of the sort when it comes to Avira as I don't really know one way or the other. Perhaps I didn't realise that this was meant to be an Avira vs Avast type thread. :D

That's a pretty big statement you're making there Bootstrap. On what basis can you make a statement like that? What's totally unimportant to you might be exactly what someone else is looking for and needs.

Then I have a total of 14 workstations here running an unworkable antivirus then. I must be some sort of magician. ;D

And what relevance is a comparison of Kaspersky Security SUITE,with Avast free? or paid AV?

Computer performance during active real time protection by a proven well performing (protection wise) product is the relavence - something that would be important to just about anyone that enjoys speed, which in my opinion, would take in just about all commputer users in general. The two I mentioned, Norton and Kaspersky, are proven peformers, both with respectable scores on independant AV comparison tests I've read in the past.. both however can also, and do, grind a computer's performance down to frustrating levels. This I know from personal past experience, which is why I chose those two as my examples. Avast on the other hand, hardly makes a difference to a computers performance at all in my experience, apart from when it's doing a full scan or updating itself. 

I thought your complaint was that Avast 5 was made on super fast new computers and therefore unworkable on older machines? That hasn't been my experience with the product at all.

Cheers...

maxwachtel

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2010, 04:37:37 AM »

I had only the standard and behavior shields installed and everything was fine. Then I installed all other shields and my system(w2k) was so bogged down it was unusable. Restored from known clean image- install avast5 with only the two shields running-no issues.

Bootstrap

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »
andrewlen:

"I thought your complaint was that Avast 5 was made on super fast new computers and therefore unworkable on older machines? That hasn't been my experience with the product at all."

Yes,that is part of it,my compliant also included the lack of validity of comparing the RAM/CPU use of a full Suite such as Kasperkey's,with a basic Av such as Avast!.

(would you care to compare the same resource use between Avast! free and its Suite?)

Do I have screenshots? Why no,I do not.

Nor am I the one stating:

"If you want to see how little of your computer's resources Avast uses compared to others popular AV's, install something like Norton 360 or Kasperky Security Suite on your older machine(s) for a few days.. Your appreciation of how little resources are used by Avast in comparison to most other brands should be renewed in no time.  Grin"

The Kaspersky Suite reference is comparing main battle rifles to assault rifles,and Avira is at least as relevant (popular) as Norton 360.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:01:49 AM by Bootstrap »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2010, 05:36:49 AM »
two fresh installs today

avast! free in laptop which appeared to have broke IE (no favicons / logos would render on IE8 pages) so happy people left with Chrome doing the business and sparkly fresh v.5 running like a dream.

Also another laptop now loaded with Security Suite on my advice, after my successful over install of avast! free. This time I uninstalled v.4.8 prior to clean installing the Suite. Remarkable. The owners were going to go free version, but now looks like they will opt for the x3 Internet Security Suite, which is appealing as an ideal family package. They have a desktop they share with the kids, and now have to decide between another laptop, or another desktop. I have to pop over sometime and upgrade the avast! free on the old desktop, something I am enjoying immensely. It doesn't matter which is the best antivirus really. Avast v.5 is good enough for us and that's all that matters.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Bootstrap

« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »
It doesn't matter which is the best antivirus really. Avast v.5 is good enough for us and that's all that matters.

Now, that is a honorable and truthful answer!!
(for Us=you and buddies)