Author Topic: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back  (Read 111182 times)

JANEWAY

Re: Good Bye Avast - I need my CPU Back
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2010, 12:40:49 PM »
First thing, Why in the hellz would anyone be using Windows XP? Windows XP is like 10 years old, Isn't secure and is more proned to Viruses. Windows Vista wasn't a success though I had no issues with Windows Vista. However, Windows 7 is a good OS, and that is what people should be using until Windows 8 is released in 2012. I have used Avast! and never had an issue with it. Im sure some people will have an issue running Avat! on computers that are old and haven't been upgraded. Computers these days are being installed with min 2G RAM to 4G RAM! I'm sure many will disagree with my opinion on Windows XP, But you won't when the support and updates end soon!!

Peace! :)

Hermite15

« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
@ JANEWAY: not sure XP is responsible for the CPU peaks related here...you may be off topic. This said the worse issues experienced with Avast 5 and related on the forums come from XP systems. That's a fact. I don't care whether a majority of users don't post here; doesn't mean they have no issues just because they're not reporting. A majority is using the "free version" and, if they're stuck with V5 on XP, will switch to another AV solution silently, without ever login in to Avast forums.
 On a side note, see my links there ;)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=59137.msg498780#msg498780
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58890.msg496415#msg496415

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:59:39 PM by Logos »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »
@ PapaSmurf

Turning off Shields that you don't use will have zero impact on performance as if you aren't using those shields or rather programs/function (P2P, etc.) that the shields monitor then they will consume zero CPU.

If you don't use a Shield or its associated applications then you can remove it completely using the windows add remove programs, avast!, click the change/remove button and from the next window select Change. Here you will see the various Shields installed in avast you can uncheck those that you don't use, exercise care here not to remove a required shield and OK your way out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PapaSmurf

« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
Wow, umm, ok...lets respond..ready?

#1 JaneWay:  WinXP Pro.....
FYI....pretty much all the sh*t you're using now was tested and developed on XP Pro.
This is not subject to debate..it is a fact. As I stated, Microsoft has NEVER released ANYTHING that did not
require patch/security updates. This includes your wonderful Win7, which was beta tested about 3 years before YOU heard about it. Vista was a hurry up release to save face with the stock holders. 'Nuf said there.

#2 DavidR: Ty for your response. I am aware of this fact, I chose to keep the modules intact for program update purposes. Because I do not use them now, does not mean I will not in the future. I like avast and am one of the few who realize that ALL software needs a break in period. The new v.5 seems to already have gone thru a couple of revisions eh? I was hoping that people would put these troubles in perspective, and not wipe good software just because it needs a little tweeking. Really what worked for me was turning off the auto updates. I would suggest that the good folks at avast may wish to look into it a bit. Also, when the software did the program update, it failed to reboot the system.  I had to do a logic service shutdown/reboot manually, which is probably something the average user does not know how to do. Once that was done, my system came up just fine, avast still intact.

Soap box done  ::)

Edit: ANd just for the record...it is not the size of your system, but the knowledge of the operator.
Try to keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 04:47:59 PM by PapaSmurf »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2010, 04:47:43 PM »
First thing, Why in the hellz would anyone be using Windows XP?

Maybe because it's running much smoother and faster with low system resources than any other MS OS.? ;)
Anyways W7 is a good OS, but you would need a proper system...
Also Linux is even better for security and performance, if setup right.
Peace to you, too...!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
First thing, Why in the hellz would anyone be using Windows XP? Windows XP is like 10 years old, Isn't secure and is more proned to Viruses. Windows Vista wasn't a success though I had no issues with Windows Vista. However, Windows 7 is a good OS, and that is what people should be using until Windows 8 is released in 2012. I have used Avast! and never had an issue with it. Im sure some people will have an issue running Avat! on computers that are old and haven't been upgraded. Computers these days are being installed with min 2G RAM to 4G RAM! I'm sure many will disagree with my opinion on Windows XP, But you won't when the support and updates end soon!!

Peace! :)

Windows XP SP3 has full mainstream support until April 14, 2014.  I wouldn't call that soon.  See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/enterprise/products/windows-7/end-of-support.aspx
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

PapaSmurf

« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »

Maybe because it's running much smoother and faster with low system resources than any other MS OS.? ;)
Anyways W7 is a good OS, but you would need a proper system...
Also Linux is even better for security and performance, if setup right.
Peace to you, too...!! :)
asyn

Ty Asyn, nicely put.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2010, 09:14:24 PM »
Ty Asyn, nicely put.

Thanks to you for the encouragement.. ;)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tweaknews

« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2010, 05:36:31 AM »
So has the new version got any better or does the problem still live on?

Gargamel360

« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:27 AM »
Only way to tell if its going to work on your system is try it out again on your system? ;)

Bennieboj

« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
same as Asyn said  :D
I had an pc machine that's 5 years old with only 0,5 GB of RAM that booted up twice as fast as an brand new Win7/WinVista (I've had both) both with 4 GB of RAM. Do I need to say more? ;D

brhokla

« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
You know, nothing is ever perfect and all these AV products have high and low points.  Sorry Avast didn't work for some of you on here, mine does work but I understand the frustrations.  I had been a big AVG fan starting about 5 years ago but it like so many others has become a huge resource hog.   I switched to Avast because it was highly rated and the reviews I have seen are mostly good.  I started having problems with AVG and the Outlook plugin.  AVG would cause Outlook to crash about 25% of the time.  I have not had any of these problems with Avast.  My system is the typical Win 7 64bit, 4 gigs ram and it seems to do pretty well.  I also use Comodo Firewall and Malwarebytes.  I have had no issue's so far with any of these or with Avast.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:53:52 AM by brhokla »