Author Topic: Does a "Full System Scan" in 5.0 check archives?  (Read 6643 times)

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: Does a "Full System Scan" in 5.0 check archives?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 06:05:59 PM »
look there's a way to know for sure: put a ZIP or RAR file anywhere in your program files folder, or in your windows folder, have this archive contain an EICAR file, and launch a full scan... see what happens  ;) ... won't be detected, I'm absolutely sure about that...as well as I'm sure that the default packers list is scanned in full scan (preset), otherwise the option to extract wouldn't make sense. You can also generate a report containing "OK" and "skipped" files etc...and see if any other archive was scanned at all. "skipped" meaning files not scanned because of the module settings, "soft errors" because file is in use. Have fun  ;)

The option to extract files from archive or not is enabled in all predefined  scans.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
@Logos: Do you work for alwil ? You have some permission to speak in their name ? Was i asking you ? A big NO to all of these questions. STOP REPLYING TO ME, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR OPINION ! Is that clear enough ?

Hermite15

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
@Logos: Do you work for alwil ? You have some permission to speak in their name ? Was i asking you ? A big NO to all of these questions. STOP REPLYING TO ME, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN YOUR OPINION ! Is that clear enough ?

so stop commenting in this thread if you don't want people to answer you, especially when you don't have much to say do you, is that clear too?  :D ;D

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 06:33:28 PM by Logos »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 06:55:37 PM »
If you would've read my post you would actually see that i was asking for some alwil input, not yours. What happened is you started replying(to me) instead of them. I explained nicely that i want to hear from someone at alwil what the full system scan scans in a bit more detail. Which is something you cannot do as you are not in the alwil crew and all you do is guess guess guess and the re-edit your posts to appear all-knowing. And now you want to drag me into some sort of an useless arguement like you frequently do with others(even people from alwil). Grow up ! I will wait for someone from alwil to come in this thread and simply ignore you from now on.

@someone from alwil: Is archive scanning enabled in a full scan ? If YES then is it the whole lot of packers or just the ones that are enabled in the file system shield ?

EDIT: That pic you just posted only proves my point.

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »
If you would've read my post you would actually see that i was asking for some alwil input, not yours. What happened is you started replying(to me) instead of them. I explained nicely that i want to hear from someone at alwil what the full system scan scans in a bit more detail. Which is something you cannot do as you are not in the alwil crew and all you do is guess guess guess and the re-edit your posts to appear all-knowing. And now you want to drag me into some sort of an useless arguement like you frequently do with others(even people from alwil). Grow up ! I will wait for someone from alwil to come in this thread and simply ignore you from now on.

@someone from alwil: Is archive scanning enabled in a full scan ? If YES then is it the whole lot of packers or just the ones that are enabled in the file system shield ?

EDIT: That pic you just posted only proves my point.

I proved you wrong a few times already, I won't waste more time, you're completely ridiculous  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:32 PM »
Boys, helping is the word here...
You're not more at the kindergarden (with all respect) ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »

Archive scanning is enabled in the full scan, but only default packers are set: EXE+WinEXEC packers and NTFS streams. If you want to scan other packers or tweak default full scan task, I'd suggest you to create your own scanning task.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
Thanks pk ! :)