Author Topic: Windows Firewall  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Windows Firewall
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:31 PM »
Hello! I've been using the integrated Windows XP Firewall only (with Avast Free, MBAM etc. of course) for 5 years now. Is this enough or do I need a better firewall? And why? I don't do internet shopping/banking, but I use torrents, eMule, MSN etc. All comments are welcome! :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows Firewall
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »
Windows XP firewall does not offer outbound protection.
But, imho, if your computer is clean, you can stay with it.

Of course, there are better firewalls, freeware or AIS.
But you won't find two persons that think the same here in avast forums ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:59:40 PM »
Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

You wouldn't call a door that only protected you from fire on one side a firedoor would you, I wouldn't, I think the same of firewalls.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Bellzemos

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »
Thank you both for the answers! I have a clean system + my PC is quite old, so I'll stay with Windows Firewall as Tech suggested. :)
Intel Core i7 Q 740 @ 1.73 GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Avast! Free Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version) and Sandboxie (paid version).