Author Topic: Upgraded to "Pay" Version and Computer Won't Boot  (Read 4123 times)

Ickyma

Upgraded to "Pay" Version and Computer Won't Boot
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
Hello everybody...   I'm new to this place and I should start by telling you that I'm a Luddite at heart!  :P
I don't know computerese or tech-speak... so you may need to talk slowly and use little words :)

I recently downloaded and used the Free 30 trial of Avast! I love it. As my free trial was expiring I went ahead and purchased Avast! I received the license via email and followed the instructions. I clicked on license.avastlic and followed instructions... was told it was "successful" and that I had to Re-Boot.

I rebooted. My computer stopped short of Windows and said there was a potential problem. It said to make sure I approved....

One option: Start Up as usual... So, that's what I chose. My computer tried but failed!

Another Option: Start in Safe Mode. I tried that. It failed.

Another Option: Go back to the last time the computer worked properly and Start Up. I tried that and it worked!!!

I noticed my Windows XP Home did not have the most recent Updates... so I installed them.

I also UNInstalled Avast... and rebooted.... and it Rebooted just fine. No problems.

I REInstalled the Avast FREE... and everything worked fine. I rebooted AGAIN just to see... And it rebooted just fine. No problems.

SO... I RE-Licensed the program.... Was told it was a success (again)... was told to reboot (again)...

Upon reboot, it FAILED (AGAIN). I had to go back to the most recent time my computer worked properly. Then UNINSTALL Avast (AGAIN!!!) ... Reboot.... REINSTALL (AGAIN) the Avast FREE.

Everything works fine as long as I'm using the FREE version.

The moment I upgrade to the PAY version everything quits working.

BTW.... I am using these on my WORK Computers... The same trouble happened on a second computer when I tried to License Avast on it.

Please tell me what I need to do to get this thing to work.

Thanks in advance for any help

PS - I've submitted a ticket on this (yesterday)... but thought it couldn't hurt to put it here as well.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Upgraded to "Pay" Version and Computer Won't Boot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:16:30 PM »
Ickyma, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Ickyma

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
Muito obrigado.

I'll give it a shot when I get the chance.  (As I mentioned, I'm on work computers right now and we're busy... I'm off work tomorrow, Sat and Sun... so it may be Monday before I get the chance).

Hally

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:54 PM »
Hi Ickyma  :)

I recently downloaded and used the Free 30 trial of Avast! I love it.

Not Sure!
:-[
But I think the problem might be that you originally installed - Avast 5 Free
Which does give a.. 30 Day Trial
But then to keep Avast 5 Free running ... You just Register your - Avast 5 Free

As my free trial was expiring I went ahead and purchased Avast!

When You Bought - Avast 5
Did you buy.. Avast 5 Pro - or - Avast 5 Internet Security Suite ?

Did you uninstall your - Avast 5 Free
Then installed your Paid version of -  Avast 5

I received the license via email and followed the instructions. I clicked on license.avastlic and followed instructions... was told it was "successful" and that I had to Re-Boot.

OR!
Did you put your paid for Licence File into the Avast 5 Free ?

Note!
I'm really not sure if Avast 5 Free is capable of updating to a paid version of - Avast 5   :-\  ( Another forum member may know the answer. )
But perhaps it would be a good idea to follow Tech's instructions  ;)
Installing the correct Version of Avast 5 to begin with ( The one you paid for and already have the licence file for.8)

Avast 5 ... Free - Pro - Suite : http://www.avast.com/en-gb/download-software#tab2

Hally

bong2x

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:10:38 PM »
 ;) this is the case when it is use trial 8 to 15 days before inserting license. good thing is to uninstall use avast, find the avast folder in program file and delete the set-up log files, the fastest way. download recent avast version install it, and insert your license. i done this already it works in me.
good luck!!!

:) find the avast folder in program file and delete the set-up log files :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:02:18 PM by bong2x »

bong2x

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
 ;D don't forget a reboot every-time you do the steps, i forgot the reboot ;D

Ickyma

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
That did the trick!

I uninstalled everything the Free version...

Rebooted

I downloaded and installed the Avast Internet file...
Included the License upon install...

Rebooted.

VOILA!

Apparently you can't just apply your license to the Free version...  Even if the free version accepts it,  downloads everything new and tells you it was a success...     Don't believe it!  It doesn't work.

Can't use the License on the Free Version.   

Pretty simple, really.

THANKS for the input! :)

Ickyma

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
Ickyma, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

Muito obrigado, Tech.  Paulista, huh?
Minha espousa e Carioca.
(My portuguese is terrible)
My brother in law lives near you...  he's in Sao Roque.  :) 

Ickyma

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:37 PM »
Just a suggestion:

In the email sent with the license...  there should be something that makes it clear that you can not upgrade to the paid version by applying the license to the the Free version.   Make sure people know to download whatever full version they want, first.  You know?