Author Topic: Where should I get Avast 4.8 ?  (Read 6882 times)

balane78

Where should I get Avast 4.8 ?
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:38:30 PM »
I did use Avast Free version 4.8 for two year without any problem then decided to go to version 5.
Now this is hell ! No way to get damn thing updated.
The sole answer from Alwil is to reboot and update in "safe mode". Comfortable isn't it ?

Even uninstalling completely (in safe mode ::)) is not improving thing so I only have two option :
- change to another tool
- un-install version 5 and return to version 4.8

Considering this last option I would like to know where I could get this version ?
Any idea somebody ?

TwoShoes

Re: Where should I get Avast 4.8 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
Go to filehippo dot com and in the search box enter "avast free".  That should bring up a screen showing the latest version, and down the right side you will see older versions including 4.8 versions.

balane78

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
Got it thanks a lot !
I will try tomorrow to scratch this bloody new version and return to good ole' thing ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
I would ask why it can't update, e.g. what errors, etc. ?

When you update there is a chance that your firewall would be blocking the new program modules.
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

balane78

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:48 AM »
I would ask why it can't update, e.g. what errors, etc. ?

When you update there is a chance that your firewall would be blocking the new program modules.
What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Standard Avast shity message : "Cannot connect to server"
My firewall is set up to allow Avast to connect to everything.

By the way I already raised the question to Avast assistance answer of which was that it is known bug and there is no, solution for time being.

In the meantime I  discovered that somebody played fool with my BIOS time which may have ruined something in Avast registry entries but ....

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:28 AM »
I suggest you uninstall avast 4,8 reboot remove registry keys with ccleaner and install avast 5 that usually be the best solution for now when updating from 4.8 to 5. but its up to you of course I only give you some tips how to get avast 5 installed.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »
Yup maybe you used the wrong uninstaller :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:03:41 PM »

balane78

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:48:10 PM »
Yup maybe you used the wrong uninstaller :)
Most probably because I used the official one  ::) ::) ::)

All your suggestions are very nice but I did it already without any effect (including doing everything in safe mode).

balane78

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:20:43 PM »
After three new attempts to un-install/re-install version 5 with every possible method (including manually remove registry key a.s.o) I finally re-installed version 4.8 and everything works.

Thanks to all.

Offline RedFan

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 08:18:41 PM »
Avast 4.8 is only supported till end of 2010
Intel® i3 Quad-Core @4,3 GHZ. RAM: 16GB ddr4 || SSD 500 GB || Windows 11 Home x64 || Chromium user.

balane78

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Avast 4.8 is only supported till end of 2010

That let me some time to choose another antivirus.

bobo1

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »
RE Bios time altered! bios battery may be dying as it will cause date and time to go innaccurate found on motherboard coin cell 3volt. Time and date needs to be correct for avast to work correctly with servers at avast!

balane78

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 10:42:23 AM »
RE Bios time altered! bios battery may be dying as it will cause date and time to go innaccurate found on motherboard coin cell 3volt. Time and date needs to be correct for avast to work correctly with servers at avast!

Sorry for not being more specific.
BIOS was altered intentionally (no relation with battery). I did reset date/time manually but I can still have a look again.

Anyway, after un-instal, clearing everything and re-install and  I do not consider this behaviour as standard.

Additionally, I can see that this is a new feature with this version which prevent me to use it. ::)

Oh, by the way, I am a project manager for a technical software and should I deliver such version and not bother at all about trouble that prevent user to update they would roll me in tar and feather.
And they will be right !