Author Topic: Avast 5.0 disappeared from PC...error won't re-install  (Read 4177 times)

hancan

Avast 5.0 disappeared from PC...error won't re-install
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »
Hi,  Avast disappeared today from my PC (windows XP).  Downloaded again and when try to install,
get error message "UPDATE FINISHED  there was an error changing product configuration"

This comes right away and doesn't allow me to install, fix, do anything.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Avast 5.0 disappeared from PC...error won't re-install
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:39:32 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Were you updating from version 4.8 to version 5 at the time? Or not too sure what it was doing?

Any other AV installed (now or in the past) on this computer? (That would need to be removed. There are "procedures".)

What other security software running?

Any other "symptoms"?

Was this an attempted new install of Avast, or have you been using it OK for a time?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

hancan

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:23:15 AM »
Hi Tarq57 and thanks for the reply!

I've had Avast on Automatic updates and 5.0 was fine for a month now.  Then the other day it just disappeared from my system and the avast icon could not locate the file anymore and said it has been moved or deleted so I downloaded 5.0 and it would not install. 

Fast forward.  Although XP says Avast is not on my pc, I managed to remove it from "Add or Remove" so obviously it is there but not functional anymore.  After removing it, I downloaded 5.0 again and it all fired up so it's working now.  I don't know why all of a sudden Avast stopped working, but after deleting everything it is up and running again thanks.

I only have one virus software *Avast" and then malbytesware and noadware to remove the rest and they never ever caused any sort of conflict for years now.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Were you updating from version 4.8 to version 5 at the time? Or not too sure what it was doing?

Any other AV installed (now or in the past) on this computer? (That would need to be removed. There are "procedures".)

What other security software running?

Any other "symptoms"?

Was this an attempted new install of Avast, or have you been using it OK for a time?

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:47:37 AM »

I've had Avast on Automatic updates and 5.0 was fine for a month now.  Then the other day it just disappeared from my system and the avast icon could not locate the file anymore and said it has been moved or deleted so I downloaded 5.0 and it would not install. 

Programs don't "disappear" without a cause. I should think this could be a sign of a beginning HDD-failure. Better start making backups soon.  8)

I don't believe malware is the cause, because malware tries to be undetected. And deleting the AV is the most significant way of shouting out "here I am" I can think of.  ;D
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear