Author Topic: Avast 5  (Read 4885 times)

SHARKY7SHARKY

Avast 5
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
Just need to know if this is normal in Avast 5 fully updated.
When loading windows XP realtime shields in Avast 5 are turned off until windows is fully loaded, is this the case, any information on this will be appreciated thank you.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast 5
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »
Which shields are pending? As far as I am aware, only web+mail shields may not be fully loaded if you're waiting to receive an IP address (e.g. you connect over WiFi). The rest of shields may not be initialized, if avast service isn't still loaded...

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 04:33:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply, you are right it’s the web shield & mail shield; they must be waiting for an ip address.
Just a bit annoying seeing the yellow triangle appear every time I boot into windows,
Then in avast telling me to turn the services on.
No big deal just needed to know if it happens to all users.
Thank you very much.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:55:27 PM »
Which shields are pending? As far as I am aware, only web+mail shields may not be fully loaded if you're waiting to receive an IP address (e.g. you connect over WiFi). The rest of shields may not be initialized, if avast service isn't still loaded...

Ahh, this may be it...

I occasionally have the same thing happen, and now that you mention it,  it seems to correspond to the connection...until the connection is shown as complete (rather than with the triangle), in the tray then avast! is also with the exclamation point...

Any idea why my connection would take some time to start up the? I am on a wired connection that is pretty much always on...

-Scott-

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:01:20 PM »
You're behind a router?
It takes some time to deal out the IP between router and PC via DHCP.
You can speed that up, if you set your PC to a permanent IP (which must, of course, correspond to the IP-space your router is providing).
I see that behaviour on my Win 7 x64 everytime I'm very quick with the click on the username. If I hit that just a second later, the PC is readyly connected before the desktop shows up.
Not a big deal anyway.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Yeah, i'm on a router...and it works, so I probably wont mess with the settings...

Not a big deal anyway.

Exactly, as long as it works, I am not bothered...was just curious thats all.

SimonG

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
I get the same problem, everytime the machine (a laptop) re-boots, web-shield and mail-shield delay to start.

This wouldn't be as bad if it were a yellow triangle only, but each time I get the full Avast UI declaring the system is "not fully protected" and the web and mail shields are not running.  Once the network connects and the shields kick in, yes the Attention header turns from yellow to green, but the UI still remains.

The problem with this is that while to someone experienced in IT this would be an annoyance, but to a novice (such as who this machine is destined for) these warnings are alarmist and suggest deeper problems.

Is there a way to at least prevent the full UI from proclaiming these "errors"?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:27:40 PM »
A more specific status message like "awaiting IP address" might help?  Admittedly that probably wouldn't help most relatively new users, but it would more clearly indicate that loading and initialization is still in progress, rather than suggesting something's malfunctioning.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

SimonG

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »
time for action, as I can't send this laptop back to its user displaying Avast error messages everytime it boots(!),  So I've taken off Avast and put on AVG (free).  First time in years I've not recommended Avast to a home user, so a bit sorry, but got to put on something appropriate (and that means no worrying messages!).

One final observation, of the machines I've tried v5 on: the problem laptop is running XP (Home), my laptop with Win7 doesn't have a problem, a desktop running Win7 RC also didn't have this problem (not yet put v5 on any other machines).  So is it an XP thing?

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »
@ SimonG

How much RAM does the XP Home system have?

By the way, Win7 RC will expire soon.

Its not an XP thing but could be a low end system thing.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »
hmmm, AVG? What a scandal ;D

I've observed this problem too... It's already fixed and you have to just wait for next program update...

SimonG

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:13 AM »
@ YoKenny

XP has 500Mb not a lot by todays standards, but a practical minimum for XP.

Yes, many thanks, I know about the RC (expect it'll go back to XP or linux, when its next needed); it was just another machine I had tried v5 on.

@ pk

Good to hear its fixed  :)
On the next machine I'll try Avast again, if this issue rears its head, I've a fall back option  ;)

Many thanks both  :)

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »
I had a look around Avast settings today, on--- change settings
Updates & ticked my computer is permanently connected to the internet
Then to proxy settings ticked my computer is permanently connected to the internet
Then ticked Direct connection no proxy.

This seems to start Avast & connections much quicker for me.
Or am I seeing things lol