Author Topic: Precautions to take for avast 4.8 users before installing avast 5.0!  (Read 12425 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Precautions to take for avast 4.8 users before installing avast 5.0!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 04:02:04 AM »
I don't think the above procedure is necessary, at least with the latest version 5.0.462.
I believe that all upgrade scenarios are now covered correctly (without the need to uninstall v4.x).

Hi Vlk,
Does it now remove the _avast4_ folder in TEMP?
I found that I had to delete this myself.

Also, does it remove the entires in the sounds dialog that are from avast! 4?
This has confused some users about how the sounds work in 5...

Well I can only recount my experience, I installed 5.0.418 over 4.8.1368 and it retained the registration information, uninstalled 4.8 including the _avast4_ folder I believe (it isn't there now and I can't recall doing this manually).

I run regular weekly registry cleanups and can't recall any redundant avast4 sound entries (or other avast4 related entries) being flagged, so for me it did a relatively good job.

One thing though it didn't remove the antivirus section in the windows event viewer and the associated entries, though I don't know what was responsible for creating it in the first place. Though by all accounts if you uninstall avast 4.8 before installing 5.0, then that section is removed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:14 AM »
Yes I think the upgrade scenarios will now be covered, and over-installation is good procedure, though I haven't run test, but DavidR has run procedure so that is all good. I actual like that antivirus section in Eventviewer, cos It sometimes gives me things like this

Sign of "HTML:Iframe-inf" has been found in "hxxp://ust.edu/graduates/forums/cache/lang_cache/en/pb/htm/direct-lender-unsecured-stated-business-loan-fund-in-5-days.html\{gzip}" file.

which is avast analysis (I believe) of html page which was blocked and has a quite interesting by-line, perhaps saying that in five days time the target user account account will loan funds to an unknown party.

But don't know much about it really except that it was in the antivirus section in Eventviewer when I was running avast 4.8.

@ DavidR - And so this section in Eventviewer remained when you over-installed?
@ Vlk - is there anything here that makes over-install better option, like new install now seats better with over-install, or is it just matter of preference? (only reply if makes difference, and I read yr reports anyway)

@ Shiw Liang - yes, I saw the thread on Facebook as well. I think a lot of these people maybe made a hash of their installs, and in early days of new release as well, or maybe running 4.8 sub-optimal, or maybe other problems on their desktop, etc, etc, etc....and so they really did need to go through an extended procedure as you put it down there. So you only covering yrself really, which you do need to keep in mind. 

And also, i don't think good policy to direct general public to anywhere near the Registry, just keep that part of operating system for yr own clean up or other tasks, most general public would be totally lost and likely make mistake in Registry - I did notice that you didn't include it in yr list in the OP, so maybe I didn't need to bring to yr notice.

Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
What is more surprising last time or yesterday my dad went to http://www.qq.com and continued visiting other pages there for more fighting air forces and finally arrived to a page where there is a woman giving her as* then avast detected a threat but didn't cut the connection and after 20 seconds laptop's screen totally black even when turning off again and again when there should be a welcome screen, the screen is totally black and no solution formatted again :(
Even immunet couldn't do anything =-="

news

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 03:04:17 PM »

And also, i don't think good policy to direct general public to anywhere near the Registry, just keep that part of operating system for yr own clean up or other tasks, most general public would be totally lost and likely make mistake in Registry - I did notice that you didn't include it in yr list in the OP, so maybe I didn't need to bring to yr notice.

Absolutely agree. Tampering with the computers registry almost always proves hazardous to the the life of the system, especially with those that have no working hand knowledge of it. Great advice.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »

Absolutely agree. Tampering with the computers registry almost always proves hazardous to the the life of the system, especially with those that have no working hand knowledge of it. Great advice.
lol ;D
It is not the first time my system was damaged due to the missing of some part of the registry ;D
So better get a safer one to use :)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
oh these things will happen with computers Shiw Liang. Especially older ones.

I've been lucky myself, but I've come across all sorts of different computers and situations and sometimes you just have to do what you can with what the computer will allow. Black screen on a laptop - can you boot it through to setup > you will need to start new thread as this is getting a bit too far off topic now.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:15 AM »
Yeah this is going to off topic
lol it is now formatted and working fine

spg SCOTT

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 03:27:03 PM »
Well I can only recount my experience, I installed 5.0.418 over 4.8.1368 and it retained the registration information, uninstalled 4.8 including the _avast4_ folder I believe (it isn't there now and I can't recall doing this manually).
I did the same, and I noticed the _avast4_ folder was left after a few reboots so I deleted it myself...
I run regular weekly registry cleanups and can't recall any redundant avast4 sound entries (or other avast4 related entries) being flagged, so for me it did a relatively good job.
I still have the avast! 4 sound options in the sounds window via control panel... (image)

One thing though it didn't remove the antivirus section in the windows event viewer and the associated entries, though I don't know what was responsible for creating it in the first place. Though by all accounts if you uninstall avast 4.8 before installing 5.0, then that section is removed.
Yep, still got that, last entry was the update on the 19 Jan, the day avast! 5 was released ;D

-Scott-