Author Topic: V5 and Thunderbird  (Read 3061 times)

bravo victor

V5 and Thunderbird
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
Was running version 4 no problem.

Installed version 5 and it has messed up something in the Thunderbird settings that is
preventing outgoing mail.  Incoming is fine.  In and out is fine in Outlook.

The error is:  Mail Server responded 5.1.0 authentication required. Please verify that your
e-mail is correct in your mail preferences.

I also get the message:

The e-mail could not be sent because connecting to the SMTP server smtp.cox.net failed. Please verify
blah blah.

All have been checked and all are correct.

Everything was fine in previous version of AVAST.

Bob

coolsilver

Re: V5 and Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:41:05 AM »
With Outlook working properly I can say Avast is not your problem. Try these steps and it should take care of your issue.

Go to Tools, Account Settings.

In the left menu select Outgoing Server.

Go to the edit of the server you have setup there, Check the "Use name and password" option. You may need to use secure authentication checked as well, try without first.

In order for avast to scan mail make sure your SSL server settings are off. Avast will connect via SSL for you.

1D4hkdMjqINV

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
>>With Outlook working properly I can say Avast is not your problem
I disagree...

Troubleshooting Notes
Thunderbird 3.03
Outlook 2007 SP1
Avast 5.0.462
Virus Def Vers 100313-0
Free Version
Not using SSL etc.

I too when from Thunderbird 4 to 5.
added "use name and password" as recommended on various forums (incl here).
Thunderbird still give me an error message:
"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server <snip> was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator".
Ah now here's a clue. The mail affected is only when the mail is from an email account on the mail server. ie from me@mydomain.com and trying to connect to mail.mydomain.com, going to any ole email recipient.
mail sent to my ISP SMTP server with from = me@mydomain.com works fine. My ISP dont require authentication.

Reading the Thunderbird forums, they say to disable/uninstall your antivirus. I disabled Avast and hey presto mail sending works.
I went further and uninstalled, rebooted twice, re-installed avast and still get that damn error message. Changed the email shield settings to NOT scan outbound messages and.... you guessed it, it works. Disable avast email shield, it works, disable Avast in its entirety, it works.
So something to do with SMTP auth and the avast email shield

Here is what happens when I disable avast and untick "username and password" on the outgoing server (smtp).

"An error occured while sending mail. The mail server responded: This server requires PTR for unauthenticated connections. Please check the messge recipient me@mydomain.com and try again."

Any clues anyone or am I stuck with not scanning outbound email.

B s Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:39:25 PM »
I had the same problem with my connection to my ISP.

Unable to send mail using port 25 because Avast 5.0.462 decided to change it to 465 which is not supported.(deprecated SMTPS port)

On further examination this only happens for me on Windows 7 Home Premium x64, my old Windows 2000 Pro box works fine with the same settings.

Luckily I was able to work around this and use submission port 587 with authentication.
Hopefully your ISP also supports this. It's slowly becoming the standard.

Good Luck