Author Topic: Any chance putting Antivirus back in Event Viewer??  (Read 3894 times)

2harts4ever

Any chance putting Antivirus back in Event Viewer??
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »
Howdy,

I don't mean to beat this subject to death but I am still curious if it would be possible or feasible for Avast5 to put the 'Antivirus' section back into 'Event Viewer'?  I previously posted some other thoughts on this subject at:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56924.msg480051#msg480051

It was always nice with Avast4.8 to be able to go to Event Viewer and see when and how many definition updates had been made during a certain period.

As far as I know, right now there is no log kept in Avast5 itself which gives this information.

Just curious if anyone else would like to see this feature returned or if it is even possible to include it in a future update?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Any chance putting Antivirus back in Event Viewer??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:55:47 PM »
It was always nice with Avast4.8 to be able to go to Event Viewer and see when and how many definition updates had been made during a certain period.
You have this......not always up do date http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history-2010

2harts4ever

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:55:32 PM »
Hi Pontus,

Appreciate the link ... didn't know it existed.  However, you're right, it isn't what you would call an up to date tally.

By the sounds of it I am the only one who misses Avast taking the 'Antivirus' listing out of Event Viewer.

Oh well, I can always hope it might be restored someday.

Once again, I appreciate your input.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
All future event logging (if any) will be only in GUI. Windows event log is the Windows internal component that has nothing to do with avast. It could be supported by avast server edition, because this would most probably bring some benefit to admins...

2harts4ever

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:12:26 AM »
Hi pk,

Thanks for the added information.

Regards,

2harts4ever

Mele20

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
All future event logging (if any) will be only in GUI. Windows event log is the Windows internal component that has nothing to do with avast. It could be supported by avast server edition, because this would most probably bring some benefit to admins...

I find this a rather curious attitude. Why would you have removed Avast from Event Viewer in the first place? If you only show logging in the GUI what if the GUI has a problem on the user's computer? I found with my previous AV vendor that logging in Event Viewer was very helpful and quickly showed any problems/errors with the AV as well as logging detections. I don't see a need to log definition updates there. However, since Avast doesn't appear to keep the "virus-update-history" web page current it seems to me that there needs to be some place where it is current and logged. 

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
As long as I see my system is SECURED and is fully protected I'm happy.  :)

Its Spring forward here:
http://cnmnewsnetwork.com/12750/daylight-savings-time-2010-and-dst-spring-forward-information
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:55:45 PM by YoKenny »

joey3155

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »

I find this a rather curious attitude. Why would you have removed Avast from Event Viewer in the first place? If you only show logging in the GUI what if the GUI has a problem on the user's computer? I found with my previous AV vendor that logging in Event Viewer was very helpful and quickly showed any problems/errors with the AV as well as logging detections. I don't see a need to log definition updates there. However, since Avast doesn't appear to keep the "virus-update-history" web page current it seems to me that there needs to be some place where it is current and logged. 

I second this. I had a problem with Avast updating engine freezing my PC a while back. When I came here to post the specs of the problem all the information I gave came from Event Viewer. It was one of the few times I found Event Viewer useful. :))