Author Topic: "cannot connect to server" - trying to update program from 5.0.418 to current  (Read 4707 times)

stephenj2585

I am at 5.0.418 and when I click on "Maintenance' and "update program", I get "cannot connect to server". I did purchase a 3-PC license a few weeks ago, installed everything correctly (or so I think I did)...

I don't see anyone else posting "cannot connect to server" problems. \

Any suggestions?

Steve Jones
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:02:09 PM by stephenj2585 »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
This is commonly associated with firewall blocking, though you are starting from having an old version of avast, the latest is 5.0.462.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avast.setup  internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

I would suggest that you modify your post and either remove your email address or obfuscate it to avoid it being harvested by a spambot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

balane78

I did post having same problem and irrelevant answer from Avast support.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56918.0
Good luck.

stephenj2585

I'm using Windows firewall (xp) and i added 'Avast! Securty' (via the add programs selection). I did not see anywhere to manually type avast.setup -

I appreciate the help so far, and sure would appreciate any more that y'all might have to offer!

Steve

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Unfortunately the XP firewall has zero outbound protection, so it shouldn't interfere with the avast updates.

Is the program showing that the License is a) valid, not invalid or b) the license has expired ?
If either of these are correct then avast wouldn't let you update.

So when you bought the license was it for avast Pro version 5.0 ?
If so was that entered in the UI, Maintenance, Registration section ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stephenj2585

still no luck. I verified that I have entered the license at UI, maintenance, subscription. I am valid till 3-11-2011.

Steve

GreggH

I am at 5.0.418 and when I click on "Maintenance' and "update program", I get "cannot connect to server". I did purchase a 3-PC license a few weeks ago, installed everything correctly (or so I think I did)...

Steve....

I ran into this message when I attempted to update a 418 version also. I found the simplest solution was to download the Avast version currently on avast.com, and run it. It will offer to upgrade your version, and I found that once I did this, I had no further troubles with updating either the virus sigs or the programme itself.

Gregg

stephenj2585

thanks for your help, Gregg. I am heading there right now.

Steve