Author Topic: Log of scans while screensaver active?  (Read 5658 times)

Offline rob24

Log of scans while screensaver active?
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »
I have avast Home scanning while the screensaver is activate, which is fine as there seems no other way to schedule a regular scan. But I can't find where a log is of the results of these scans while the screensaver is on.

Thanks
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

rassel

Re: Log of scans while screensaver active?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:38:01 AM »
Are you using avast screensaver scan? I think there will no log if you are using screensaver for scan. Try scan by using the avast scan program.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:40:51 AM by rassel »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »
If a virus is found, avast will log it into Warnings section of avast Log Viewer.
The best things in life are free.

Offline rob24

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »
Are you using avast screensaver scan? I think there will no log if you are using screensaver for scan. Try scan by using the avast scan program.
Yes I'm allowing avast home to scan using the avast screensaver. Certainly seems to be the case that ther is no log of that event, except I guess if a virus is found. I do scan most days using the program in addition to the screensaver scan, after which there is a report log. Pity there isn't the facility for a scheduled scan like I had with AVG free. I guess I'd have to pay for the professional edition of Avast to get that. Perhaps I will when I'm feeling flush!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 11:34:41 PM by rob24 »
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:41:13 AM »
Pity there isn't the facility for a scheduled scan like I had with AVG free

Not quite the same as AVG or the Pro version of avast - but please see:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=3796.msg27225#msg27225

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 12:22:38 AM »
I guess I'd have to pay for the professional edition of Avast to get that. Perhaps I will when I'm feeling flush!
Pro or Home will be here to help if you need ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline rob24

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »
Pity there isn't the facility for a scheduled scan like I had with AVG free

Not quite the same as AVG or the Pro version of avast - but please see:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=3796.msg27225#msg27225
Great thanks very much for that link - very handy - I've set that up now and its doing a scan as I type this. Looks like its thorough and quite fast. I have a partitioned 250Gb HD so set it to scan both partitions that are mostly empty as yet!

avhfj

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:07:13 PM »
When I came in this morning, there was a message on the screen, presumably from the AVAST! screensaver, which had been running all night, saying that it had found a HUPIGON virus in an http file. In order to get into Windows I had to press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to bring up the user login screen, which overwrote the screensaver message.  However, there was nothing in any of the log files, or in the Chest.  That seems inconsistent with the message from TECH on  March 22, 2008, 02:42:00 PM, which said "If a virus is found, avast will log it into Warnings section of avast Log Viewer."  I am using AVAST! Pro 4.8. Can anyone advise what I should do next?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:20:22 PM »
Well it wouldn't be in the chest, unless you had set that up as an automated action in avast 4.8 pro.

You said it was found in an http file, there aren't any .http files, do you mean it was a .htm or html file ?

Normally if the file location begins with http the source/location of the infection is on the internet. Can you remember what the file name and location was ?

Did you find not the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log file ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

avhfj

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:25:44 PM »
Thanks for the response, DavidR.  I thought sending a discovered virus to the chest was what AVAST! always did.  "Move to chest" and "Loop scan" are activated in the screensaver settings.

I'm pretty sure the file location began with http.  I can't remember the file name and location - the message vanished from the screen when I went to log in to the computer. If the location is on the web, why would it have shown up in the screensaver scan?  Should I be worried - HUPIGON is a pretty offensive virus, I understand?

Yes, I looked in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log file - nothing there for today or yesterday.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:52:17 PM by avhfj »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 04:59:55 PM »
The detection that you have a hidden/undetected piece of malware as Hupigon is associated with a backdoor to bypass your firewall, etc.

Hupigon variants are backdoor programs, which provide an attacker with access to, and control of, an infected machine. There are a large number of variants ...

I don't know if this might well have been an alert by either the web shield (which should put an entry in the warning.log) or by the network shield (which doesn't place an entry in the warning.log) which blocks assess to malicious sites.

I don't use the pro version and in 4.9 I believe you need to set the automated action up in the Enhanced User Interface. In avast 5.0 this is much simpler as there is one interface for all avast 5.0 users and it is pretty simple to set up the automated actions on detection.

What is your firewall ?

It may be worth running these tools to see if there is anything hidden/undetected:
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

avhfj

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
thanks again, DavidR.  I'm using Windows Firewall.   I uninstalled Avast! 4.8, incase malware had got to Avast!, installed Avast! 5and ran a complete scan, which reported no infected files.  So I'm feeling a little happier.  I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'll try the programs you mention and post again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.