Author Topic: Using Firefox and Posting on Forums  (Read 8608 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Using Firefox and Posting on Forums
« on: July 03, 2004, 12:00:17 AM »
Hi all you Firefox users,

I have just changed my default browser to Firefox (previously third reserve). There are still a number of things I don't like in the interface and a few other hiccups/bugs/niggles, etc.

The one that is infuriating is posting in the forums. If i type some text and then select the text and click on Bold, Quote or any of the text effects it doesn't apply it to the text. In all cases it places the effect tag at the end of all the text in the post window, not around the selected text.

You can see the result below, I tried to change the Bold in the para above to bold text and the Quote to quoted text and the last sentence in the para to Italics. No joy, is this happening to anyone else?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Using Firefox and Posting on Forums
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 01:49:14 AM »
Yeap... it happens to me all the time. I posted regarding that issue here in forums about 3-4 months ago. I also tried to get some info from Firefox forums... no one ever responded to me...

Same problem is, let's say, if you already typed your message, and you want to add some smilie somewhere in the middle of your message... you press on smilie you want to appear in your text, but instead of "smilie in the middle of the paragraph", you get "smilie at the end of the paragraph"

Well known issue, and it seems like no one will ever fix that...

Cheers !

Staind

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 02:22:20 AM »
This happens to me on Internet explorer too, I think it's a problem with the forum (I also post on other Yabb forums and this does not occur).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 03:17:46 AM »
No problems with IE or Avant (works perfectly), only Firefox, it also happens to a lessor degree on the Neowin boards. I had no problem on their boards with IE or Avant, just Firefox, the only common denominator.

I also am experiencing display wrap problems (firefox only) where the text in a post is not wrapping within the width of the browser window. Ususlly this would only happen if there was a large image attached to the post, but now it happens at times when there are no image attachments just text.

If this was IE, people would be jumping up and down cussing MS for being cr*p. But becaus its not MS we put up with it???

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 04:16:57 AM »
Exactly same here... IE, MyIE2, Avant  Browser, Green Browser (all with IE angine) - no problems at all. Everything is like it should be...

Firefox and Mozilla - problems as we mentioned up there. I'm not sure for Opera, 'cause I don't use it anymore (last 1 year)

Yeah, I use all those browsers, just because I make lot of web site designs, so I have to check the way my sites behave using all those engines...

As I said before, I alarmed those people on Firefox forums, and no one ever responded, not even one word... they should run those forums like Alwil guys do that. They could learn alot from Alwil. And telling me that they are too busy to solve all those problems and read forum messages (btw, it was bug reporting issues forum) - common...

By the way, I uninstalled Firefox and I'm using Mozilla 1.7 now, just because avast! script blocker is not available for Firefox (yet). When I use IE or Mozilla, script blocker starts without any problem.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 04:19:19 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Staind

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 04:30:50 AM »
As I said before, I alarmed those people on Firefox forums, and no one ever responded, not even one word... they should run those forums like Alwil guys do that. They could learn alot from Alwil. And telling me that they are too busy to solve all those problems and read forum messages (btw, it was bug reporting issues forum) - common...
They may not have responded because it had already been brought up, but they probably dismissed it as a casual error.  Firefox/Mozilla doesn't break up the links like Internet explorer does so it will fit on one page, also if there is a large image this will happen (THIS IS THE ONLY OCCURANCE OF WHERE THIS HAPPENS).

If this was IE, people would be jumping up and down cussing MS for being cr*p. But becaus its not MS we put up with it???
You have every right to use a less quality browser. No one is going to stop you. ;)

Hawk

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 11:33:40 AM »
Firefox and Mozilla - problems as we mentioned up there. I'm not sure for Opera, 'cause I don't use it anymore (last 1 year)

Opera too. Same problems. :(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 03:31:43 PM »
Hello Hawk and WELCOME to best fourms ever !!!

Thanks for confirmation regarding Opera... btw, your avatar is so nice, no need to replace it with something else, but...

As you may know, I make skins for avast! and also I like to make avatars for forum members... just in case, I'll repeat - just in case (no one is forcing you to take my offer), you choose that avatar just because you needed something as your avatar, and in the lack of your own, unique avatar... If that is case here, I made two avatars for you, totaly unique... with your nickname, and your country's flag.

If you don't like them, no hard feelings, just erase them and story is over...

Cheers !

Here goes first one:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 10:59:42 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 03:32:18 PM »
And second one... you choose what you like best... if any...  ;D

Hawk

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 10:53:28 PM »
Wow i don't know what to say...

Thank you very much Craftec.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 10:58:20 PM »
No problem at all, you're always welcome...

bbfi

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 02:48:48 AM »
Okay guys and gals.  There is a new extension for Firefox called 'BBCode' and it can be found at either http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#bbcode or http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=606676#606676 or http://jedbrown.net/mozilla/extensions/#BBCode.  It is a good workaround for the infamous cursor at the end of text bug with Firefox and Mozilla.  :P

Instead of using the buttons at the forum, you highlight the text, right click, and click on the BBCode you want, such as bold, italic, underline, color, size, url, etc.  I just did the examples in a flash using this extension.  See picture below.

It doesn't work for smilies  :'(, but hey, it's makes Firefox and Mozilla work a lot smoother at forums.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 02:52:59 AM by bbfi »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
Instead of using the buttons at the forum, you highlight the text, right click, and click on the BBCode you want, such as bold, italic, underline, color, size, url, etc.  I just did the examples in a flash using this extension.  See picture below.

It doesn't work for smilies  :'(, but hey, it's makes Firefox and Mozilla work a lot smoother at forums.   ;D

Hi bbfi,

Thanks for the link bbfi, I have downloaded the extension and installed. It will certainly make a lot of peoples (including myself) posting experience easier.  

Although not having the full functionality of the YABBC tool set, I is much better than the living with the bug.

What I do find amazing is that his 7KB BBCode extension is able to overcome the cursor at the end bug. When by all accounts this bug has been in Mozilla/Firefox for months or years. If it was so simple to overcome, you have to ask yourself, why the element of his extension code that overcomes the bug hasn't been incorporated in the Firefox core code?

Bigger fish (bugs) to fry, not enough complaints or simply not the resources of the likes of MS.

Thanks David

P.S. You might have noticed I have been trialing it here.
P.P.S. A new critical update at windows update 02/07/2004.