Author Topic: Avast 5 boot time scan & Windows 7.  (Read 3905 times)

mkruzel

Avast 5 boot time scan & Windows 7.
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 420 and recently got a virus and did a boot time scan. After doing a boot time scan, Avast 5 Pro removed a virus but after rebooting and logging in I got a weird message saying Windows 7 needed to be activated, the screen went black and a Windows prompt came up saying I needed to go online and it said Windows 7 Build 7600 and Windows needs to be activated.

I was lucky enough to get a cancel button and clicked cancel. My desktop came back and under the My Computer icon it said my copy was still activated. I rebooted one more time and my profile came up as usual. Are there any issues with doing boot time scans with Avast 5 Pro and Windows 7 or could it be the virus? I think one of the Windows 7 cab files was infected and was deleted.

Hermite15

Re: Avast 5 boot time scan & Windows 7.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:29 PM »
I'm afraid some security feature embedded in Win7 didn't really appreciate the bootscan  ;D I don't have this problem as it's not available yet for W7/64 (the boot scan), but good to know it can generate such an issue, and thanks for posting ;) ... now if your activation files got corrupted, that's another story. If you're running a legit version of Win7, you can always try to repair the activation files by validating Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/

If your system is OK now, you don't need to do it. Would still be better, just to make sure everything is OK. Now if you're not running a legit  version of Windows (which I don't assume, since you got a Dell and probably acquired 7 with it), be aware that this new W7 validation check will change your life in Windows, just a warning, but again, I don't think you're concerned)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:09:10 PM by Logos »

mkruzel

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
I'm running a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.  I went out to the web site and it said validation was successful.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:30:31 AM by mkruzel »

Hermite15

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm running a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.  I went out to the web site and it said validation was successful.

I didn't doubt it wouldn't be the case. The benefit is that if you're indeed running a legit version and still have activation issues, that the validation procedure will find out and repair activation files at the same time (well , so they said...)