Author Topic: continuous reboot after installing 5.0.462 free  (Read 7557 times)

tryinhard

continuous reboot after installing 5.0.462 free
« on: March 15, 2010, 12:27:54 AM »
 ???  Main computer successfully updated to 5.0 on prompt from Avast.  Backup unit which has exactly the same setup--XP Pro, SP3, etc. with Avast 4.8--loads program just fine, but after the first reboot, goes into a continuous reboot situation after about 30 seconds running.  I have started from scratch, reloading XP and all the updates, plus the other programs--very tedious on dial-up.  I have tried all the suggestions I have seen so far to no avail, including Avast removal tool, reloading 4.8, ad infinitum.  It acted the same trying 5.0.418 as it does with 5.0.462.  It apparently loads beautifully and will go through the update motions, etc. as long as you don't shut down.  When you do, on reboot, the icon comes up, but apparently when it tries to turn on the program, it croaks, and goes into the continuous reboot pattern.  I would like to run 5.0, but so far, no luck.  4.8 does fine but won't be around forever.  Ideas??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: continuous reboot after installing 5.0.462 free
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:04:45 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that. You have 2 tools, one for avast 4 and another for 5.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

tryinhard

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
I have already followed this exact procedure at least twice--once with 5.0.418 and once with 5.0.462--same result.  It should be noted that after reloading XP, all MS updates and the same programs I had previously, with the exception of Avast 4.8, the rig acted just the same when I tried to load 5.0.418 the first time.  Before reloading the whole tamale, the problem was identical after the initial loading of 5.0.418--Avast asked did I want to restart, I said OK, and it was never right again.  If this is not an Avast problem, it might be a compatibility issue with some setups of XP--I do not know.  I do believe, however, after all the repeated attempts I have made, including this exact procedure, that there is a problem not related to my individual computer or my techniques, but I could well be wrong.  If noone else has duplicated this malady, I will just have to wait and be satisfied with 4.8, which has served me well.  It's just that 5.0 looks cleaner and quicker--I don't know for a fact that it is any better....Tryinhard

tryinhard

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 03:51:47 AM »
I had hoped that someone more knowledgeable than I would have some ideas beyond the removal/reinstallation vicious circle, all of which I have tried.  I doubt that the problem is with Avast, but so far that is the only indicator of trouble I have had.  I believe there is a compatibility problem that is affecting boot of Avast 5.0, but nothing else.  It may be a boot sequencing issue, since 5.0 will run beautifully after installation, until I turn the computer off, and then it will not on the next restart, when the computer shuts down right as Avast tries to energize.  It may be an issue with another program besides Microsoft in the boot process--I don't know.  That is why I am asking Avast users for help, but I am convinced the issue is not the preparation for, or the actual loading of Avast, and since 4.8 will run without incident, it must be something related in some way to 5.0.  If anyone has a better idea of a forum for me to try, I would be grateful for that. 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:00:12 AM »
I'm still using 4.8, and happy with it for now, so the scope of any ideas I have is of course, limited.

What other security software is installed, or has been installed in the past, on this computer?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

tryinhard

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 04:12:12 AM »
After 5.0 failed, I completely started over, reloading XP and everything else that had been in place.  I was running 4.8 only before, and have gone back to it because of the problems with 5.0--no other programs.  4.8 continues to click away with no problems.  It just seems odd that something in my system is allergic to 5.0....

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:26:01 AM »
Stabbing in the dark a bit, here, but do you have C++ installed?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

tryinhard

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »
Yes, actually I do have C++, and I think I unintentionally told a fib.  For about a day, I had Avira Free after the initial problems with 5.0, but it irritated me, so I took it off immediately.  Trying to remember--is C++ associated with Avira in some way??

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
Did you remove Avira completely?
http://www.avira.com/en/support/removal_tool_windows.html

What is the system specifications of the CPU as to speed and CPU type?

How much RAM does the system have?

I have no problem on my XP Pro system.

tryinhard

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 08:06:08 PM »
Avira is completely gone.  The problem with Avast predates Avira, and even predates my last complete reload of XP Pro and everything else, as I tried to convey in previous entries.  I am successfully running 5.0 Free on my other computer that is exactly set up like this one, with no problems.  My system is more than adequate, and the program runs just fine as long as you don't reboot.  When you do, it goes into continuous reboot cycle, and 5.0 must then be removed.  If someone could only tell me what is different in the setup between 4.8 and 5.0, maybe we could start to get somewhere.  4.8 works flawlessly, and I continue to be stymied....

tryinhard

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:29 PM »
Well, thanks to the few who tried to get beyond the somewhat worn-out umbrella of de-installation and re-installation.  Net result, however, is no progress, and it appears that 5.0 will remain distant from this computer.  I never said that Avast was the sole problem--only that some incompatibility issue existed between my unit and version 5.0 that didn't exist with 4.8.  It is interesting to note that not all of the seasoned veterans on this site are flocking to 5.0, perhaps because there are so many issues that keep popping up.  At any rate, if I ever see anyone else's predicament that mirrors my own, I will be curious to see what help they might garner.  Onward and upward..... :-\

Iangho

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »
Install with Options/Troubleshooting/Load Avast... checked.

This stopped my BSODs.

Ian

tryinhard

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 12:22:39 AM »
Ian--I'm "newbier" than you, so I'm not sure what BSOD's are.  Also, if you are talking about the settings in the 5.0 program, which I'm guessing you are, I have it downloaded and saved, but how can I get into the settings without installing the program??  The program won't install without the reboot stuff going on, so I guess I'm not following how to get where you suggest.  Also, I'm hoping for some insight on the cumulative updates for 4.8 in my other post.  It is simply too big a deal to have to reload all the updates every time 5.0 fails and I have to go back to 4.8.  If I could get a shortcut there, I would keep trying to get 5.0 going.  Otherwise, it's been too bumpy a ride....

Iangho

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:59 AM »
Ian--I'm "newbier" than you, so I'm not sure what BSOD's are.  Also, if you are talking about the settings in the 5.0 program, which I'm guessing you are, I have it downloaded and saved, but how can I get into the settings without installing the program??  The program won't install without the reboot stuff going on, so I guess I'm not following how to get where you suggest.  Also, I'm hoping for some insight on the cumulative updates for 4.8 in my other post.  It is simply too big a deal to have to reload all the updates every time 5.0 fails and I have to go back to 4.8.  If I could get a shortcut there, I would keep trying to get 5.0 going.  Otherwise, it's been too bumpy a ride....

I mean install the programme and before you reboot ensure Avast is ticked to load after other services as per my post.

I'm grasping at straws but it could work.

BSOD Blue screen of death. My problem was BSOD so I ticked for Avast to wait until other services have loaded and that solved the problem. To uninstall Avast after getting a BSOD I had to go into safe-mode. http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Good luck,
Ian

oldpro

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
 ??? I'm definitely on the outside here, but is it possible that you have overlooked some difference in setup or hard parts that hasn't had an impact before, but might with V5--like the Avira deal you mentioned earlier??  I understand your reluctance to go into details that you are reasonably sure can't affect the installation, which you say is identical to the unit which is successfully running V5.  The fact remains, though, that you are having a repeated problem after numerous attempts at removing V4.8 and going with 5.0, so something has not been addressed, and despit the troubles with 5.0 I have seen on this forum, none matches yours, so I am a little suspicious.  I won't take you to task like Mr. Yo Kenny, because it is sometimes difficult to see things right under your nose without help.  I have problems with students in this regard, and am not saying there is an undiscovered answer there for sure, but think it over again, without prejudice, and see if anything pops up. :-\