Author Topic: Avasti free anti virus: Mail Sheild  (Read 3929 times)

avasteecom

Avasti free anti virus: Mail Sheild
« on: March 08, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »
Mail Sheild : Service stopped, start will not activate. How do I activate service to start?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Avasti free anti virus: Mail Sheild
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
Open up your email client (such as outlook).  If you don't use your email client, then the service won't have anything to do, therefor it closes.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »
Open up your email client (such as outlook).  If you don't use your email client, then the service won't have anything to do, therefor it closes.

no it doesn't  ;) although the mail service is set to manual, as well as the web shield service, both depend on avastsvc main service (set to auto) and are started as a result each time you start your system. If the mail shield service has stopped, either it's been done intentionally, either there's a problem.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »

no it doesn't  ;) although the mail service is set to manual, as well as the web shield service, both depend on avastsvc main service (set to auto) and are started as a result each time you start your system. If the mail shield service has stopped, either it's been done intentionally, either there's a problem.

I know that the actual "System service" is set to manual, and will run without having a mail client, I was expecting that the OP didn't know what a "service" was, or how to get to them.  I thought they were speaking of the "Provider" that shows up when you mouse over the avast icon in the system tray.  When outlook is closed, it will say 8 providers total, 7 running.  When outlook is opened, it will say 8 running (depending of course on how many providers they have installed).

That's the "service" I thought they were referring to.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

avasteecom

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:18 PM »

Thanks Forum Associates.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:32:52 AM by avasteecom »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:34:08 PM »
You're welcome, I guess your problem is solved now?