Author Topic: My Avast Issue  (Read 3640 times)

dragoneyedgirl

My Avast Issue
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:25:26 AM »
So starting today for some odd reason my Avast(version 4.8 home edition - free antivirus) decided that if I connect to the internet it's going to slow my whole computer down to the point where it's useless.  >:( I've been trying to figure out my problem all day long(I'm not THAT technical when it comes to computers) and I just now finally figured out that Avast was the culprit. I'm probably going to remove it(it's disabled right now) but why would it all of a sudden do this to my computer whenever a connection to the internet has been made? I'm interested in knowing an answer because if there is some setting I need to look into and change, I may still keep the product. If not, I'm going to try something else. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

dragoneyedgirl

Re: My Avast Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:27:57 AM »
Oh and I'm using Windows Vista in case anyone's wondering...

sded

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:29:40 AM »
Have you installed some other security software lately?  Does avast! just slow browsing or everything?  You might try turning off the shields one at a time to see if something sticks out.  What firewall are you using with avast!?

Offline Yanto.Chiang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Soli Deo Gloria
    • PT Garuda Sinatriya Globalindo
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:34:55 AM »
Hi Dragon,

Welcome to the forum,

If you would like to see which application that causing your issue, you may to download Process Explore from : hxxp://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

You may see whole internal applications size at your machine.

Cheers,
Yanto Chiang | IT Security Consultants | AVAST Premium Security | GarudaSinatriya

dragoneyedgirl

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:47 AM »
I have not installed any other security software lately. I am using Windows Firewall. Avast was making my whole computer run slow, not just browsing. I didn't think about stopping each shield one at a time(duh) maybe I will try that tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:36:57 AM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:29 AM »
As Yanto-Chiang said, another thing to do is to look with Process Explorer (or even Windows Task Manager) for a process that is using a lot of CPU that might by the source of your slowdown.  The conflict doesn't always come from other security software.