Author Topic: Thunderbird and Avast Compatibility Problem  (Read 16725 times)

sippy

Thunderbird and Avast Compatibility Problem
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:15:17 AM »
I have the latest Thunderbird which will ran well with Windows XP and the older version of Avast, 4.8 I think. But when I up dated my Antivirus software from an older version of Avast to Avast 5.0.418.0, the latest version, I get the message “Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.rabbit.com.au responded” I have removed Avast and Thunderbird works well again. This same problem has happened on another computer as well.
Any ideas

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Thunderbird and Avast Compatibility Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:26:42 AM »
Disable SSL/TLS in Thunderbird.
Then, an easy cure often is to delete all Avast settings in MaiShield->Expert Settings->SSL accounts.
Then reboot.
Avast should find the correct settings and work correct.
If not, come back and give more details.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

sippy

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:35 AM »
It seems that the SSL/TLS is already disabled. I went to Tools/ Account Setting/ Server Setting/ Security Setting and found the drop down box showed "None" Is this where you mean in Thunderbird. I then looked at Avast through Real Time Shields/ Mail Shield/ Expert Settings/ SSL Accounts/ Mail Accounts. There is a host name along with Protocol (POP3) Port (110) Encryption (none). Do I delete this? Sorry to be a pest but I'm that smart when it comes to computers!!
Thankyou

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
Sorry for late answer.
Yes, delete all the entries there.
Free MBAM Clear

sippy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:24:48 AM »
I've turned off Scan inbound mail(POP3, IMAO4) Scan outbound mail (STMP) and also newsgroup messages (NNTP)
Is this right and does it leave me exposed?
But the changes work!! Whoopie!!

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • tex62
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Well, you turned off the mail-scanning...
Free MBAM Clear

Offline stumped2

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:50:49 AM »
I just updated to the free Avast 5 on my Windows XP system and have read many, many postings on not being able to access email.

AT&T Yahoo states to use these settings.

Change the POP server to pop.att.yahoo.com.
              Change the SMTP server to smtp.att.yahoo.com.
              Check the option labeled Use an encrypted connection (SSL)
                 and change the SMTP port to 465.
              Check the option labeled Use an encrypted connection (SSL)
                 and change the POP3 port to 995.

Using Thunderbird 2.0, these settings do work, but I see frequent mention on this forum of using outgoing port 587. I can get port 587 to work, but not with SSL. Should I keep using 465 as per AT&T Yahoo?

When I go to Avast > Mail Shield > Expert Settings > SSL Accounts, it indicates my Mail Account is using ports 995 and 465 and both are using SSL encryption.

Regarding TB, should I turn off SSL even though the email is working?  If left on does this causing Avast to NOT scan the email?  If I turn off SSL will Avast then scan and do whatever it has to do regarding SSL?

Any idea why this was not an issue with Avast 4.8?

I came across the SSL problem when using an old Netscape Communicator for email. While I cannot change ports in NS, I can turn off SSL which then allows the outgoing email to proceed. Why does SSL work in TB but not the old NS SSL?

sded

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 01:37:31 AM »
AT&T knows nothing about how Avast! arranges to scan secure email-no reason they should.  If you leave your email client set to SSL, Avast! won't scan it-no third party can; it is encrypted between your email client and the POP server and no one else can decrypt it..  As far as Avast! 4.8, it never scanned secure email unless you used a third party program called Stunnel and OpenSSL to handle the encryption/decryption. 
With Avast! 5, which added the feature of secure email scanning,
For POP3, you need to select no secure connection, and port 110
For SMTP you should select no secure connection, and port 465 (or 587), depending on what works with AT&T.   587 is the port for Gmail, but 465 may work better with AT&T.  If there is a problem, port 25 is also sometimes used-I don't use AT&T so don't know how their smtp servers are set up.
Avast! will then redirect the email to do the encryption/decryption itself, and scan the email to/from your server.

Jon_T

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:52:36 AM »
stumped2,

First read the following article from avast! Support:
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458&nav=0,1,82

Then read topic below by another TB user:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57323.0

Hope the above helps.

You can also use the Search box, and do a search for Thunderbird; you'll get a lot of results.

sippy

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 07:45:04 AM »
Well I'm lost, if by turning off the mail scanning I can get e-mail, but with the scanning on I can't, then the problem must be with Avast and after following instructions there is no joy. Is there a way of getting an older version of Avast, you know the one that has the blue icon as there seems to be a lot of people in this forum that still have it.

Jon_T

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 04:22:32 PM »
Well I'm lost, if by turning off the mail scanning I can get e-mail, but with the scanning on I can't, then the problem must be with Avast and after following instructions there is no joy. Is there a way of getting an older version of Avast, you know the one that has the blue icon as there seems to be a lot of people in this forum that still have it.

Some are having issues, IMHO main problem is lack of easy accessible clear instructions (i.e. no avast! 5 User Guide) on how to use various avast! settings.  To issue a new product with a different interface/GUI without a decent User Guide the amount users posting problems should be expected.  ???

Personally have avast! 5 on three Win XP SP3 systems with Outlook and have no problems sending/receiving emails with my ISP POP SSL email or GMail IMAP SSL accounts.

You can download older versions of avast! at FileHippo:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/