Author Topic: Does a wireless router come with a wirelss adapter for desktops?  (Read 2560 times)

sj

Hi guys, just want to clarify something.
I want to set up a wireless connection. So do I have to buy a usb wireless adapter separately?

thanks in advance.

sded

Re: Does a wireless router come with a wirelss adapter for desktops?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:39 AM »
Most laptops come with a built in wireless adapter, but otherwise you will need to buy a separate wireless adapter to talk to your router.  USB is a good way to go because you can usually get it out of the blockage of your computer and other things around you and get a clear line of sight to your router, even if you need an extension cable.

sj

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:15:40 AM »
thanks sded, I need the usb wireless adapter for my desktops.

and , will the signal be affected because  i have 1 pc at the bedroom and the other is in the living room?
should I get a wireless G or a wireless N router?

sded

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:25:59 AM »
Important question is "where is the router"?  I usually recommend a wireless G for two reasons-I don't think the kinks have been worked out of N even now, and usually the G-G range is better.  They are also usually cheaper.
You get a better signal if you actually get LOS to the router.  So if you have windows facing each other in the two rooms, for example, run cables so that the router and adapter can see each other so the signal doesn't need to go through a solid wall.  Usually you are just fine anyway unless you have reinforced concrete walls or the distances between the rooms is very large so you need to go through several walls.  Usually there is an area of best signal within the rooms, so you can move things around a bit until you are happy.  :)

sj

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 01:32:50 AM »
oh ok, so i guess it's a  good idea to put the router outside the room, near the hallway. thanks for the input and suggestion sded. appreciate it.

sded

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 01:41:21 AM »
Usually you just put the router and adapter where they fit best and it works.  Just with USB and Ethernet cables you have a lot of flexibility if you need it.  One of mine goes through the ceiling, another goes through a wall and they both work fine.  :)  I also recommend higher power adapters (Engenius and Alfa are a couple of good brands) since they don't cost any more and usually help performance.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 01:45:04 AM by sded »

sj

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:03:37 AM »
so i also have to replace the bundled power adapter with a new one? thanks again for that info.

EDIT: does a dual band router mean it is configured as both wireless n and wireless g?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:09:01 AM by sj »

sded

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 02:41:18 AM »
No, the adapters come with an appropriate power supply-they continue to work off your USB port, although some may take more than one (Engenius does not, some Alfas take 2).  A dual band router usually means that it also supports 802.11a, a different system in a different frequency band than 802.11bgn.  Never became very popular for various technical reasons, but useful for some applications.  Usually the way a wireless N router works, for example, is that it backs off to g or even b depending on the adapter and signal strength, or can even be reconfigured to operate in the other mode.  These modes actually have different signal characteristics, so operating at lower speeds can often improve connectivity.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:56:15 AM by sded »