Author Topic: Virus Definition Update Problem  (Read 5240 times)

mhl6493

Virus Definition Update Problem
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
My currenct internet security subscription is expiring, and I decided to give AIS 2010 a try.  So, I just downloaded the 30-day trial.  No problems with the installation.  Everything seems to be running smoothly.  The only problem I'm having is that there seems to be a problem with the virus definition updates.  I received a Microsoft security warning saying that Avast reports that it might not be up to date.  So I open avast, go to "maintenance" and "update" and I click "update engine and virus definitions."  After updating it tells me that my engine and definitions are already up to date (current version 100405-0).  I then click "OK."  Then the screen tells me that the current version I'm running is 100309-0, and it says at the bottom, "Your virus definitions are out of date!  Latest virus definitions: 100405-0."  Which is what it said on the previous screen I had.  And, I still have that ominious Microsoft security icon in my tray.  So, I'm confused as to what to do.  By the way, I'm running Vista 32-bit, if that's important.

If someone could share with me a solution to this problem, I'd appreciate it.  It's kind of disappointing to have a problem right out of the gate when you're testing a software package to see if it fits your needs.  But, I'm willing to give it a shot, if I can get this problem solved.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus Definition Update Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »
check that your computer time / date / year is correct

then try avast repair and reboot

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

mhl6493

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
Thanks, Pondus.  "Repair" took care of the issue.

I just noticed another potential problem, however.  While I was checking out the Microsoft security alert, I noticed that the Windows Firewall was still on.  I don't know a lot about computers, but I know that you're not supposed to have two firewalls running concurrently.  So, I turned the Windows Firewall off.  But now it says that I don't have a Firewall running at all.  Apparently it's not recognizing the Avast Firewall -- which, when I open Avast, seems to be on and functioning properly. 

Anyone have any ideas about this issue?  Again, thanks for your help!

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 05:42:20 PM »
Sorry Wrong thread to post.
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB