Author Topic: Malwarebytes Paid Version  (Read 9745 times)

Jagst3r15

Malwarebytes Paid Version
« on: March 15, 2010, 04:47:54 AM »
I am looking to buy the Malwarebytes paid version. Is this program's real-time protection comatible with Avast! Free AntiVirus?

Thanks in advance!

gtafanboy

Re: Malwarebytes Paid Version
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:03:46 AM »
Yepp im pretty sure it is. But i wouldnt suggest buying malwarebytes, let avast be your real time protection and malwarebytes free be your on demand scanner

Jagst3r15

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:12:24 AM »
well, cant i use both? Two is better than none and MBAM is a one time payment for a life subscription.?

Jon_T

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:26:41 AM »
Awhile back happen to come across Malware Research Group's "Rogue Software Infection Prevention test" while looking for some reviews/tests that included SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware:
http://malwareresearchgroup.com/?page_id=2 -- at the bottom of the page there's a link to download a PDF of the test.

Online Armor ++ v4.0.0.15 and Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware 1.44 did very well at preventing the installation/infection of the 30 samples of the rouge software used in their test.

Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware 1.44 was the only one that stopped all 30 samples from installing; avast! Antivirus 5.0.396 stopped 22.

Using Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware 1.44 with resident enabled without issues/problems with AIS 5.0.462 (though currently using it w/o FW and Spam).  Use SAS Pro for on demand scans.

Some have had issues with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware IP Protection.

Jagst3r15

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 05:54:19 AM »
So, dont even bother to get the MBAM paid version?

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »
So, dont even bother to get the MBAM paid version?

I have Windows XP SP-3 with just 512 Megs of Ram and it suits my needs just fine.  Avast is my real-time protection.  I just got Free Malware Bytes and like it, but prefer to just use it on-demand.  Sometimes when you have two or more malware shield protectors running at the same time, memory and speed can become sacrificed.  I used to have the other things like Spybot Search and Destroy and Windows Defender.  However, they were slowing things down too much and found very little.  Oh yea, I also had Ad Aware, which found nothing except tracking cookies for about three years!

My computer is old (over 5 years old) but it does what I need it to do.  How much RAM do you have currently?  How is your processing speed?  You should probably have or upgrade to at least 1-2 GB's of Ram if you are going to have multiple real-time scanners.  Windows Defender now comes with Windows Vista and I think Windows 7 as part of the OS.  MS also has the upgrade for Defender called MS Security Essentials, which is MS's free Anti-Virus program.  I heard it's OK, but Avast continues to surpass it in performance tests.

I just installed Malware Bytes recently.  I think with that and Avast, you should be just fine.  If you already have the free real-time protection from Avast, I don't think you need another real-time protective shield.  Make sure you have the RAM to cover that if you want more real-time protection..  But I don't think you need the paid version of Malware Bytes as long as you have real-time protection from Avast.

Jack

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
I have been using Malwarebytes since it came out and was using it before I discovered avast!. 

I am now testing the soon to be released V1.45 and it is working very well but it is a bit slow opening on my XP Pro system but almost instantaneous on my Windows 7 system.

Jagst3r15

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:19:28 PM »
My computer is like 5 months old and is a pretty nice Dell Laptop Sudio XPS M 1640. I have like 450+ GB of space. You think I will be fine?

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
I have been using Malwarebytes since it came out and was using it before I discovered avast!. 

I am now testing the soon to be released V1.45 and it is working very well but it is a bit slow opening on my XP Pro system but almost instantaneous on my Windows 7 system.

You just have the free version, right Kenny, or the paid one?

Mine does run a bit slow in opening and there is a several seconds delay when qurentining files.  But it seems to do a good job.

Jack

Jagst3r15

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:31:05 PM »
MY RAM says 4.00 GB with 2.96 usable. So barring any problems between avast and MBAM paid version I should be good to go?

Jack 1000

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »
MY RAM says 4.00 GB with 2.96 usable. So barring any problems between avast and MBAM paid version I should be good to go?

Oh, yea,

You certabnily have enough RAM for the paid real-time Malware Bytes protection.  Go ahead and subscribe to the paid version than.

Jack

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:46:57 PM »
avast + MBAM pro + SAS pro ......never had a problem

Jagst3r15

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:33:11 AM »
So do you suggest I even keep Win Defender enabled or will the MBAM Paid Version take over it's responsabilities?

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »

You just have the free version, right Kenny, or the paid one?
Both paid.
The first one was free as I was a beta tester.  ;)

@ Jagst3r15

Keep Windows Defender updated daily through its portal:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

I have it set to run a Quick scan at 8:00am every morning on my Windows 7 system and I do not even notice it running.
I don't use Windows Defender on XP Pro.

I have MBAM set to update and run a Quick scan at 5:00am every day.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:14:19 AM by YoKenny »

twl845

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:32:01 PM »
I have 1 GB of RAM, and if that's a factor, MBAM real time running along side Avast V5 is doing fine. There was a conflict between MBAM real time and the previous builds of AvastV5 while loading during bootup. It caused a freeze up. However the new .462 build of Avast fixed that.